An update

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by hearts and roses, Feb 20, 2012.

  1. hearts and roses

    hearts and roses Mind Reader

    For those of you who know me on FB, this is a repeat, sorry.

    I just got home from the hospital, AGAIN. Turns out I caught the Noro virus from my moms nursing home! I finally felt well enough to visit my mom last week, even checking with them to make sure they lifted the quarantine, which they did, before I went over. I was okay on Friday, felt a little strange on Saturday morning and by Saturday at 1PM, I began to feel very queasy. Started as a vomiting session, which really was painful because I stupidly didn't eat much that day so by the third trip to the bowl, I was puking up bile only. Gross. This lasted a mere 30 minutes before the other end acted up and within a short time, it was both ends. I couldn't leave the bathroom, was crouched over in pain, sitting on the edge of the tub...because I can't kneel anymore. As I was writhing in pain, I was thinking up ways to be more comfortable as my body turned inside out on itself...hmmm, can I wheel the computer chair in here? Turns out, I didn't have much time because my body was on a roll...doing it's own thing. Felt like the rush of labor pains just before pushing the baby out, for those of you who have gone through that.

    So in between wracking sobs I called H in and asked him to call an ambulance. Oh my, you would think I just asked him to donate a piece of this liver or something. "Are you sure? Why don't you just lie down for a while?"

    What is it about men, I know I should not generalize but I'm going to...maybe it's just my H...but what is is about men that they think we are all exaggerating?! I hate calling an ambulance but it was very clear to me that I would in no way have tolerated a car trip to the ER and a waiting room for any period of time. I was petrified of poopoopsying in my pants. FINALLY, I convinced H to make the damned call and it feels like eons before they arrive. The poor EMT was talking with me in the bathroom and suddenly, I'm scamng at them to get out, lol! Anyway, they finally got me out to the stretcher and off to the hospital. There I was loaded up with dilaudid (which is like LSD for me) and anti nausea medications, THANK GOD. Relief at last. I checked the time, I was writhing in pain for about six hours. It honesty didn't feel as of all that time had passed me by so thank good ness for that. So we were in the ER till 3 am and this very hot APRN came in and discharged me with scripts. By the time he left I was heaving again. I couldn't move. H had left to get the car, by the time he returned, I'm being admitted and the crappy nurse is trying to get an iv in me again (he tried 5 times the first time and twice this second time, a real gem). H was all po'd, grabbed my stuff and left me lying on a gurney in the hallway, writhing in pain waiting for the medications to kick in. At this point I was fairly delusional and began wondering if I was suffering from oxycodone withdrawals, but the nurse laughed at me when I asked.

    While there, I was stuck four more times by my vampire friends, samples of every bodily anything was taken and tested, it was fairly gross. Turned out I had the Noro thing and I am potassium deficient.

    So, that was Saturday. I came home this evening, armed with anti nausea medications of course but feeling better. sorry if this was too graphic for you, but it's usually safe to post this stuff here!

    Now I can *hopefully* get back to the business of working on my range of motion again. I begin aqua therapy tomorrow if I still feel up to going. My knee is definitely stiffer today since I've been laid up, but I'm hopeful I'll get back the range I had prior. And H gor over himself...but not until he told a friend about me being sick and the friend then told them how the Noro virus is apparently crazy right now. Ohhh, he needed to legitimize my illness via his friend. ANYWAY, glad to be home, in my own bed.

    Other than that, the knee is healing. I return to work on March 1st and I'd really love to be well rested by the time I go back instead of dog tired from being sick or my back being out, Know what I mean?? Thank God for Prozac or I'd be dead by now, and I do not say that flippantly!
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. InsaneCdn

    InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

    Well, they say bad things come in threes. so this SHOULD be the end of it! (knee surgery, back problems, now this)
    Here's hoping!
  3. HaoZi

    HaoZi Guest

    OMW, I'm glad you made it through all that and you're getting better. Once that knee is better kick H in the behind and tell him it's from me!
  4. ThreeShadows

    ThreeShadows Quid me anxia?

    Wow! That's all you needed. I'm with Insane, the French say "never two without three". I know what you mean about not being able to kneel on a bathroom floor while vomiting, however I've been able to get out of washing behind the toilet bowl due to the meniscus surgery, lol!
  5. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Oh wow. How awful. And yes men can be aholes. I tripped in my sty of a room on Saturday, think I broke my last two toes and Tony just said "oh that looks like it hurts. You really need to clean the room up. Can you remember to send my letter out on Monday?" Meanwhile I cant put weight on my foot at all.
  6. LittleDudesMom

    LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member

    I'm glad you are back home and feeling a little better. Had I been through what you just when through, I would be sleeping for a few days! Hope you feel up to starting the new therapy - March 1st will be here before you know it!

    Janet, I've done that same thing twice over the years - very painful!

  7. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    Wow! That sounds like a horrible experience and I hope you are moving toward feeling better quickly!
  8. AnnieO

    AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

    Oh Jo!!! I don't remember any of this from facebook - then again I was a little wound up myself. But :hugs: I am glad you are better! (And I know about the kneeling thing. I sit on the floor...)
  9. buddy

    buddy New Member

    Unbelievable... you are just having too much of it lately! I sure hope that was the end and now you can just spiral upwards! Thinking of you....
  10. hearts and roses

    hearts and roses Mind Reader

    I just LOL when I read that. If you remember, I have the handicapped seat on my toilet, it actually is an apparatus those goes completely over the entire toilet, with arms and legs, etc. If I sat on the floor I wouldn't be able to reach the top, lol. Hahaha aha, too funny, not. Thanks for the laugh!
  11. AnnieO

    AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

    Oh, CRUD!!! I would hate that. In the bathroom off my and husband's bedroom, the toilet faces... A wall. So if I couldn't sit, I'd be in serious trouble!!!
  12. Jody

    Jody Active Member

    Oh Jo,

    I am so sorry that you had that virus, i had not heard of it, hope it doesn't hit Illinois any time soon. I had some kind of virus for the last 8 days, sore throat and ears and headache, and missed 6 days of work, i had my gallbladder removed and only missed three days. This was not fun at all. I hope this is it for you!!!!!

    I went to see my ortho today and he is not going to let me have my knee surgery until I lose more weight, and join the gym and get in better shape. I was set for March 28th and he said he wouldn't do it that soon. He told me I have to see a physical therapist for awhile and get the muscles in my legs and back stronger. I am disappointed, but there isn't anything that I can do about it.
  13. hearts and roses

    hearts and roses Mind Reader

    Jody, so sorry to hear about your health stuff! Ugh! I hear the gall bladder surgery is a good one in terms of healing time and safety. Glad you were up and about after that.

    It's difficult to lose weight when you're having trouble moving around. My best advice is to try a recumbent cycle and water aerobics. I hope you're successful so you can get the surgery and feel better.
  14. busywend

    busywend Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Feel better, Jo! Sorry you had to go through that. Sounds awful!
  15. SearchingForRainbows

    SearchingForRainbows Active Member


    Just when I thought things were getting lots better for you - What a horrible experience!! What an understatement!! I'm with Sharon (LDM) - I think I would also take a few days off, try to relax, get lots of zzz's... Your body's been through too much in too short a period of time.

    I laughed when you apologized about maybe being a bit too graphic - Believe me, nothing, absolutely nothing is too graphic as far as I'm concerned. My difficult children took care of that years ago...

    I'm glad you're home and feeling better. Hugs... SFR
  16. keista

    keista New Member

    Glad it's done. I was in pain just reading about it.

    Praying you don't relapse and everything else heals quickly!