and here come the texts...

rebelson

Kathy,

Thank you for sharing that. I love it.

I am sitting in the mall drinking my Chocolate Elvis smoothie as I read it...and had to hold back the tears.

I was so hoping that last sentence would be something more like "at last, the stranger began climbing back up." [emoji22]

Karenvm

Kathy, that is a great story! Thank you!
My son is apparently staying with a friend, here in our neighborhood. I am friends with this friend's mom (we have been through a lot together when these "boys" were in high school. Only her son figured it out, and mine got stuck). She texted me the other night and said "I don't know what happened, and it is none of my business, but know that your son is here, and can stay as long as he needs to". I cried. This is definitely a "step" for my son- he figured out where to go, though it was difficult to "ask" them. She is definitely not "enabling" him- he is on his own over there, but at least he has a place to stay for now. He can now work at the job he had last summer, as it is here in town. I don't think he ever thought we would actually refuse to allow him home. But we did, and that sends a message, I believe.