And now...

trinityroyal

Oh goodness!

My difficult child-brother had this problem. Sweaty stinky feet and inability to wear socks because of Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) issues.

We swore by Dr. Scholls foot powder. Generous dose in the shoes every night. Sometimes left them out in the backyard until morning to air out. Seemed to help with the stench.

Good luck!

Trinity

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm just getting crocs. I think I'll buy 3 pair.

But while they're amending the IEP, anyway, I had them add his sensory issues, the multiple pairs of the same pants, and his no-sock shoes. This is crazy.

I washed his shoes last night after dousing them with lysol (its all I had at the time). I think it actually made them worse.

trinityroyal

I never found washing or lysol to be of any help with stinky shoes.
I did have some luck with Febreze once or twice. But when the shoes get to that point, I think they're beyond help.

Crocs are probably a good bet. difficult child-brother found over the years that shoes with leather uppers and leather soles seemed to get less stinky than other kinds. I guess the leather breathes better or something than canvas/rubber shoes.

If you have a few pairs of crocs, and you rotate them between wearings (blue ones on Monday, grey ones on Tuesday, etc.) AND you get wee difficult child to take them off as soon as he gets home from school you might be able to get them to last longer.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I fabreezed them after the wash (despite my addage that I was going to keep this all natural - again - it was what was available)

They still reek.

Marg and Star gave some suggestions I'm gonna try tonight. AFTER I go buy new shoes.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
If you have a few pairs of crocs, and you rotate them between wearings (blue ones on Monday, grey ones on Tuesday, etc.) AND you get wee difficult child to take them off as soon as he gets home from school you might be able to get them to last longer.

Its nealy warm enough the getting them off his feet won't be a problem. Along about March/April, normally, he seems to lose his shoes for the next 6 or 8 months.

Andy

While at the store, purchase Dry All Day sports socks. I use Hanes brand. They really help keep the moisture from the feet cutting down on shoe odor and wear out. Go into the adult section if there are none in kids.

DammitJanet

I hate socks too. Hardly ever wear them. I do throw my sneakers into the washer about once a week and it seems to keep the smell problem down. At least no one has complained or said anything to me about any odor!

Now you have me wondering...hiking footsies up to face...no...cant smell anything.

I only wear shoes when I have to though. Other times like at home I wear slippers or nothing at all.

mstang67chic

Going Green
What about half a box of baking soda in each shoe? difficult child threw up on the carpet once and febreeze didn't do anything for the smell. Then I sprinkled baking soda on it, let it set and vacuumed it up and it took it right out. (well, I had to do it a couple of times but we're talking vomit here! LOL)

flutterby

Fly away!
With his sensory issues, I don't know...but they have a product that goes on like a lotion, but dries as a powder and works as a deodorizer - so it stays on better than baby powder, but has the same texture. I don't remember the name of it (I got it years ago), but I'm sure there is more than one variety.

There's also Gold Bond which I've heard is good.

The only thing we've had luck with is the Dr Scholl's products. easy child puts some in everytime he puts on his shoes - even if he takes them on and off a couple times a day. The drawback is, you have little puffs of powder on the floor. :rofl: But, I'll take that over stinky shoes any day.

...I can't stand Febreeze. It makes me feel nauseous. easy child uses it, but he's only allowed to use it in his room. :sick:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Shari, I find that if shoes get rotated so they are not worn every single day, it gives them a chance to air/dry out completely before being worn again. The smell gets bad when the shoes are constantly moist from perspiration and then the bacteria have a party.

Good luck with the shopping!

flutterby

Fly away!
Also might try washing them with Oxyclean thrown in...see if that helps. It worked on the odor when Buster was peeing on my rug. Regular washing didn't.

tiredmommy

I think I might try washing with vinegar... it's strong enough to take care of cat urine so it would probably cut through foot odor.

SRL

I hate socks too. Hardly ever wear them. I do throw my sneakers into the washer about once a week and it seems to keep the smell problem down. At least no one has complained or said anything to me about any odor!

My feet are so hot in socks that I rarely wear them and my tennies get stinky pretty fast. I do like Janet and wash them frequently (remove the inserts and wash them too. Hang on an inside line and they're dry by morning.

Two of the same pair helps too.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I could not find anyt knock-off crocs that had the strap that could be flipped behind them...so no crocs yet. But I found a nifty little pair of leather sandals and a years supply of various foot sprays.

When we go back to tennis shoes in the fall, I will buy multiple pair.

But really. No one else he's around will say his feet stink. Is it REALLY this big a deal at school???

Whatever. I'm not even going there. (sticks fingers in ears and singing LALALALALALA)

jannie

trying to survive....
Shari-
How many kids are in his kindergarten class? They seem to have so much time to update you on every little detail. Do they every provide with academic feedback...or a positive experience he has had? What part of his day does he enjoy most and/or is he most successful with?

I assume he takes off his shoes in class? which is why perhaps they smell.....I don't think you can actually smell stinky feet/shoes when shoes are on....I've been able to persuade my difficult child to wear the no show socks that are seamless...I guess I'm lucky with that..

Actually my difficult child likes to wear one black sock and one white sock...:D I wonder what the school thinks of that.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, very rarely do they update anything positive. A teacher that I don't even know stopped by the other day (while I was waiting for him to be released to go to specials) and told me he had come to get her when another student was injured on the playground and was really helpful getting that student to the nurses office.

And no, he doesn't take his shoes off.

I got my first "update" last week regarding how many times he's stuck in the safe room and a tally of his bad behaviors, tho. I had to request it, but I finally got it.

The music teacher is off her rocker, but she beleives in him. Too bad he hates music.

Oh, and the gym teacher. He loves her, and she has offered to help where she can. We're talking about letting him try to earn "extra" gym time or something like that. But regular folks, I'll get an occassional update from SpEd teacher that's positive, but the rest of the gang, its this stuff. Day in and day out.

Heck, difficult child's still upset because the first time he got suspended, he apologized to the principal immediately after making the threat and the principal pushed him away. difficult child isn't one to hold grudges, but he remembers that and will still cry if you mention it.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. It sounds so much like our experience with the school wiz went to for 1st and 2nd grade. And that really led to extreme self-hatred, in spite of therapy and psychiatrist and other things. difficult child was really trying, but the 1st grade teacher was MEAN and her niece was his 2nd grade teacher. He was bored, but they told him he was stupid because he didn't get everything 100% right.

I got the "he stinks" notes (they wouldn't even tell me to my face - they wrote notes and handed them to me and rushed away!), even got a count one day of how many times he coughed in each class. They said it was disruptive and that he was doing it on purpose. It was asthma and we were doing all we could to treat it, but they refused to believe it.

What options do you have for next year? Will pretty stupid boy principal be elsewhere? If so things might be better. Is there a better school with classes that would help him that you could push the school to pay for?

I had so hoped the public school would treat him better. But pretty stupid boy principal seems determined to be a problem. You are going to have to put your foot down HARD about the various IDEA violations.

Gentle hugs for your hurting heart and for difficult child's tender heart.

I think the shoe thing is just being mean. EVERY little boy has stinky shoes, not just your difficult child. The girls do too.