And she's gone again....

JJJ

I spoke with our case worker (not the one from Residential Treatment Center (RTC), we have one from our county that helps us, the parents, deal with the RTCs). She said that she does not think that the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) will kick her out. She said that they will make her world, very, very small. They have very successfully dealt with other runners.

Still waiting for Residential Treatment Center (RTC) clinical staff to call. I can't imagine the chaos of dealing with 5 runners (out of about 15 kids).

Ktllc

From the outside looking in, seems like "making her world very, very small" might be a better idea than to lock her down in a high security Residential Treatment Center (RTC). Being close to 18 gives her a very small window to learn. How can she learn if there is no decision making on her part (decision not to run)?
I can't imagine how worrysome that must be for you, but life will teach her sooner or later. Let's hope the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) can teach her in way that is safer for her.

DammitJanet

It is very difficult to get a lockdown Residential Treatment Center (RTC). I had to fight tooth and nail to get one for Cory but I knew that only lockdown was going to work because he ran from anywhere that he wasnt under lock and key.

I really am not sure how to get financial aid for the placements in Utah. Dont know if medicaid would cover them or not. My feeling is not. All the placements I had were covered by medicaid plus his SSI.

Malika

From the outside looking in, seems like "making her world very, very small" might be a better idea than to lock her down in a high security Residential Treatment Center (RTC). Being close to 18 gives her a very small window to learn. How can she learn if there is no decision making on her part (decision not to run)?
I can't imagine how worrysome that must be for you, but life will teach her sooner or later. Let's hope the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) can teach her in way that is safer for her.

This does personally make sense to me.

exhausted

I believe running is the ultimate control kids try to exersize over the adults. When they are out they can do what they want-act on compulsions. Even a short runaway is "breath of fresh air". The scary thing is what can happen to them, especially when they are not well. The truth is, that it is rare something happens but that thought is always there. It sounds like the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) will get this under control if they have had past success.

JJJ

No call from Residential Treatment Center (RTC) today. So good news....she didn't run. But I would really have thought that clinical staff would have called.