And so dawns another day......

nvts

Hi! Welcome to the sight!

Have you looked into medicaid for the difficult child's and possibly you and husband? I'm not sure if you're in the US (or what state) but you might want to look into what type of assistance you can get for all of these kids. Even if you're not getting child support for them, you still might be entitled to medicaid coverage for their physical/medical needs as well as psychiatric needs.

You could also contact (just search the web for "free child advocates in your state") a child advocate to try and help you find out a variety of services that you may qualify for.

Again, welcome! We're all in similar boats! :smile:

Beth

Gramma

Thanks, I will try the library to check out the book. I am willing to try anything at this point. difficult child 1 is home and all hell has broken lose several times. She is defiant about doing her dinner chore, and I am persistent taking her back to the kitchen to finish. I will win this one.

Gramma

We were on state medical, but changed jobs and now make too much. Might downsize the job to get the medical back. Might be worth the loss of finances. But then again, we are pretty much the sole support of a family of 10, so the money is very needed. difficult child 3 has medical due to her being on disability. Trying to get difficult child 1&2 on disability.

nvts

Once you read the book, you won't be looking to win!!! lol

Kids that are defiant, won't react to orders. Sometimes it's about compromise...it' :princess:s sometimes sneaky, but it works... :smile:

Beth

susiestar

Roll With It
Do you have legal custody of any of the children (NOT implying you kidnapped them)? If so, in many states you automatically qualify for the state children's insurance.

NAMI.org is another site that can help you find the services you need. As providers for a family of 10, I think it would be hard for the state to turn your kiddoes down for insurance.

"Explosive Child" is a good book. I also recommend "parenting with love and logic" - they have a website with a LOT of free stuff on it - audio downloads, printables, etc... The website is http://www.loveandlogic.com . My husband, and many other dads I know, found this to be more useful and understandable than "explosive child".

Sending big hugs, you are a true blessing, even if the kids don't act like it!!

Remember, you have to take care of yourself. If you don't function, nobody in the house will function. So make taking care of yourself a priority. (Hard, I know, but it does make a difference!)

Hugs,

Susie

Marguerite

Serious suggestion, Gramma - get husband to read these posts as well and maybe put in his own concerns or questions. It's worked wonders with me & husband, in terms of keeping us in touch with each other and being on the same page. The downside - you can't sling off at him on the posts, he'll find out! But seriously, we communicate a lot more effectively now simply because sometimes what you write is a careful distillation of your thoughts and concerns, it sometimes makes it clearer.

Marg

Gramma

Yes, we have permanent legal guardianship of the three girls. Got it three days after we got the girls. Went to court for temporary guardianship and the judge said that was nonsense and said he was giving us permanent legal guardianship. Had the girls 6 years last April.

In Ariz they have KidsCare insurance for families that don't qualify for regular state medical. It is full state medical, but the family pays a small premium each month. I have the application, sent away for a copy of my birth certificate that I lost, am getting the pay stubs and bank statements together. Here's hoping that they approve us.

Had an IEP meeting for my difficult child 3. Took daugher with me to ask questions I probably wouldn't. The basic IEP was fine with me, but I want them to address the wetting at school issue. They wanted to to use Serenity pads. Well, trying to get her to dispose of them properly and change them when she wet would be a major issue and daughter stuck to her guns. I'm going to send a few extra changes of clothes to the nurse. Both teachers besides sending her potty more frequently, will ask her if she needs to go to the nurse and change clothes. This she might do.

Daughter and her difficult children are in crisis. The counselors want to put her difficult child 4 into group home. Sounds good - we can certainly use the quite, but it sounded to me like it was an indefinate long term. They don't want her to see him for awhile, she can't go look over the home to approve it, it is a good 2-1/2 hour drive one way from us, his sibs can't come for visits with him, he can come home for weekend visits only when they say so, she will not be kept in the loop for his schooling or medical treatment and cannot tell them she doesn't want him on a medication she doesn't approve of. She called this morning and told them to cancel any thoughts of a group home. I really thought it sounded like she was giving up parental rights and that is a scary thought.

Feel like crying this morning. Not sure why. Don't sleep much at night. Worry about kids, bills, work, husband health (heart stent) afraid he's going to have a heart attack (we've been out of his heart medications since April) and die on me and leave me with a mess and the girls to do it alone. I know I'm being irrational, but can't help it. On top of being exhausted, I'm just plain tired from not sleeping as I just can't turn off the daily stress or all the "what ifs". Anyone else feel that way??

I have rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, liver disease (fatty liver), kidney stones (took 14 days to pass the last one), diabetes controlled by diet and pills, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), bi-polar, anxiety attacks, and probably PTSS so maybe it's no wonder that I feel like crying adding the stress of difficult children.

Here I whine about my trivial complaints and the rest of you are going through so much more. My heart goes out to each one of you and I pray that you all find peace and that your difficult children get on and stay on track. "Talk" to you all soon. Until then, thanks for being there.

trinityroyal

Hello Gramma, and welcome to the site.
It sounds like you really have your hands full. You have already received lots of excellent advice from others, so I will only add...

Please do not dismiss your complaints as trivial. It sounds like you're battling some serious health concerns, as well as dealing with a house full of difficult children, all with complex issues to deal with. It's a lot for anyone to take on, and it can take a terrible toll on you. No wonder you're tired.

It's very important to take care of yourself, both your health and your peace of mind. You need your strength to help your family. Try to find a bit of time for yourself, even if it's only 15 minutes a day.

Sending prayers your way.
All the best,
Trinity.

nvts

Hi! Gramma: check into it with the state. If you're not receiving child support from your son or his ex., they can be on your taxes which would lower your adjusted gross income. If your daughter and children are also dependents, they could become dependents and would also lower your adjusted gross income. Call your medicaid office and see what you can qualify for. Make sure that you're both (the medicaid rep. and you) talking about the same figures (they could be talking adjusted which is the amount you make AFTER all of your deductions; you might be talking about gross income which is BEFORE all of your deductions!).

Unfortunately, this stuff really can get complicated. You might also want to do a search on-line for a free child advocate group (do the search as: free child advocates, your state (I don't know what state you're in! :smile: ). They could help you wiggle around the various agencies, resources, wrap-around services, respite services, etc. that may be available to you.

Keep us in the loop!

Beth