and the soreness begins.....

Jena

lol

been riding, taking lessons as i had mentioned. first two weeks were really kinda easy....umm was on a great horse :)

a horse they use for more advanced yet a horse that also responds with-o being pushed.

today the trainer decided she wanted to see what i could really do lol not much!

she put me on the more difficult horse they have there also the most advanced....
let me just say we walked almost the entire time half hour lesson as i kicked, begged, pleaded this horse to go into a trot for me.

i even pulled him aside and had a talk...... difficult child watched and laughed we shared a lesson today. get this difficult child trotted for the first time. me, all i could do was get this horse to walk lol

it was funny, was a huge horse i mean huge.i got dizzy once i got up on him. at one point i was so out of breath i had to take a break. because all i did was kick him and try to make him move. it was exhausting.

trainers like hmm your outta shape. yea really ya think so??? no kidding. had to share should of had difficult child videotape it, would of been good for a laugh for everyone!

yet i'm going back next week and getting on that same horse i gotta try again!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Jena, part of the problem might be that you are kicking him. Many horses are trained to go forward from calf pressure, not being kicked.

Also, if you were nervous because of the size of the horse, you might've been subconsciously clenching your hands. Even if you don't actually tighten down on the reins, a sensitive horse will pick up on the tension and respond to it.

on the other hand, it's possible this beast might require a tap or two of a riding crop just behind the girth to shake him up and move him out.

Jena

i kicked only because the trainer told me to. i was thinking the same thing, just pressure. i think i'm going to get a crop also. good idea. hes' all over the ring this horse. he tends to lean left in walk right in trot or canter. so walking i gotta pull hard on right than opposite when we did get moving one time. he was slamming me into the wall.

i hate riding in the ring. you ride?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Jena, if he's constantly pulling to one side, he's likely got something bothering him: could be his teeth (a sore mouth can make a horse sore all over), back pain or stiffness, that sort of thing. My experience with this has been that one sidedness in horses stems from discomfort and eventually becomes a habit.

And yes, up until I ruined my back, I did ride and train horses. However, I rode English. All the above would still apply.

If nothing else, this horse could really benefit from some stretching exercises done on the ground and the like. Once he's a bit limbered up, some elementary dressage work wouldn't hurt him either, provided he is sound enough to handle it.

Horses can't talk so you sort of have to do a bit of detective work, LoL

Jena

yea the vet checked him out today, he's beautiful horse and soo big. my back hurt today too after the ride, or bumpy ride. i ride english also. western's super easy, english has alot of rules.

went back to learn how to jump. that's my goal.

graceupongrace

yet i'm going back next week and getting on that same horse i gotta try again!

Jen,

This is the perfect metaphor for our lives with a difficult child -- we just get back on the horse and try again, lol!

Glad you had some time to do something you enjoy!

Hugs.