And you think YOU have memory issues ?? LMAO

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm out in the garden harvesting away...........

Now my broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage all sort of keeled over thanks to the weird weather. I went over to check the damage..........and I've got this odd plant growing like mad. No clue what it is but I know darn well it isn't a weed, weeds don't grow in a nice neat row. lol So I look at the marker and it is kohlrabi. I haven't got the slightest clue what the heck it is but I harvest it cuz it looks just like the photo.

I come in and look it up. It's like cabbage / turnips. Uh, ok.

I had no clue it was there. I would not have done this deliberately because I never knew it existed before today........

But there it was planted all neat and tidy in my garden complete with it's marker. wth??

Evidently it is one heck of a hardy lil plant too cuz I haven't touched that side of the garden since the other plants keeled over and that was ages ago. (couple months at least) So I haven't done a darn thing for it. lol

Guess I'll be tasting it here soon.

And while I had to have planted it, not so much of a snippet of having done so.

And YOU thought you had memory issues. :rofl:

L

Liahona

Oh I wish I didn't relate to this so well! We have cucumber in with the pumpkins because I forgot which plants were what when planting them. I haven't harvested them at all,yet. I planted basil, oragano, and sage and can't keep them straight. Totally forgot I had planted onions and carrots. Good thing they are easily recognized. Then I keep forgetting about them and it takes me by surprize that we have them; again and again. I think I'm just trying to cram to much in my brain at once. I'm hoping that when I'm older after all the kids leave my memory will be better, but I'm not banking on it. :)

DammitJanet

Get your collards in now for the fall crop. They are best after the first frost has hit. After you do that I will tell you how to cook them to put them in the fridge.

BusynMember

Lisa, I've ALWAYS had that kind of memory. When people turn 50 and complain about things like this, I just say, "Welcome to my world" lol. I love your story. It's so funny!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh, Janet you reminded me of what else I have to do this week...........

Get the fall crop in. omg I need to be 3 people these days, I swear.

I've harvested the carrots, much to Maggie's delight. Tomatoes are still going crazy, which is nice because so many people lost their tomatoes this year. Green beans are still doing good. Cucumbers ehh......they are growing strange. I've gotten some but this last batch looked like the plants are getting tired. lol

My herbs?? Were doing fantastic. Until 2 grandsons decided to yank them all up. It was all I could do not to strangle them.......I get mad thinking about it. They were "helping" but did exactly what I told them NOT to do. ugh

I still need to dig up my potatoes. It's a good thing they're safe in the ground until I find the time to do so. Time is something I never have enough of these days.

Liahona your post made me chuckle. I don't know where many things got planted because easy child helped me and she didn't mark well. I mark everything clearly. Not because I don't recognize the plants......but during that early stage I don't want to think I'm weeding and pull up a veggie instead. easy child nearly cried because that is exactly what she did. I'm also going to have to pay closer attention to how she plants the seeds. Most of what she planted did not come up........so guessing she planted too deep or too shallow and birds got them.

helpangel

So is it like a cabbage or a turnip? The reason I ask is I never ate the root of a cabbage but a turnip that's the best part in my opinion.

Nancy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nancy it is supposed to be a cross between the two...........as I understand it. You can eat both the bulb and the greens.

InsaneCdn

Lisa. NO FAIR!
We LOVE call-Robbie around here. (that's how the kids spelled it when they were little)
It just doesn't grow well.

The "bulb" is neither root nor fruit... it's a swelling on the stem that gets to be the size of a small turnip.
And they are the BEST raw veggie snack going. Skip carrots, celery, snap peas, and all the usual ones including turnip and rutabaga. Crisp. Sweet.

You are making me hungry and the stores are closed !!!!!!

helpangel

Wow learn something new everyday, I'll have to try some of that. Hopefully the youngest will like it, if I don't find something healthy for her to snack on she's going to out weigh the refrigerator soon. It gets so annoying I cook healthy meals then find out she had the equivalence to a full meal in a snack before dinner.

Nancy
PS that McDonalds a block from the house isn't helping either.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I had issues with food with Travis, although he never truly had a weight issue, not sure how he skipped it though the way he put away food/junk food.

At your difficult children age you want to teach as much as control (or attempt it rather) what she is eating. So that makes it more difficult.

I didn't buy junk food except as a rare treat and much of that had to be made, not just taken off the shelf and eaten. And until they got jobs, they had no spending money. This practice wasn't due to weight issue but budget and health issues.

Thankfully Travis turned his eating habits around himself.

Weight doesn't bother me as much as being unhealthy or having unhealthy habits. I've known far too many folks considered over weight by guidelines who are more fit and eat healthier than I do.

Now that I leave fast food alone......I'm not really a fan and it's again a budget issue........it actually makes me physically ill to eat it......sometimes for days. Makes you wonder what is in that stuff lemme tell you.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I had some of it once and it wasn't bad. My aunt picked it, cleaned it and sliced it like you would a potato to fry. If I remember right she just put it in a bowl with some lightly salted water and we ate it raw. To me it tasted like slightly cabbage flavored raw potato. Beyond that...I have no clue what to do with it. LOL

InsaneCdn

'stang... yes, it is related to cabbage, cauli and broccoli. So... no surprise on the flavour. I tell people it tastes a bit like peeled broccoli stems.

You can...
Grate it and add to a salad.
Great addition that way to a slaw but I use it in any salad.
It's good in a "veggies and dip" style.
They TELL me (I don't do "cooked" veggies) that it works in stir-fry as well.