Animal Lover here again-Does anyone have a funny pet story to share with me?

Jody

I have one: My Golden Retriever Broady, hates stinking socks. I of course never have stinky socks (lie) haha. But anyway you can have a whole bowl of the best smelling dog food, dog treat or anything else appetizing to a dog. If Broady smells stinky socks he will find them and take off with them and get them out of the room he wants to be in. It doesn't matter if they are on your feet or not!!! If they are under the cover he will dive under there and bring out those socks and go and hide them somewhere else. When he is satisfied, then he will go and eat the food. It is not fun when he is trying to take your socks off with those razor sharp puppy teeth. He has brought so much to my life. Some don't understand the love of a pet, I am so thankful that I do. I get so excited to see him in the morning and when I get off work. He's such a blessing to me. Is it possible to share pictures on this website???? Thanks for letting me share my love for my Broady.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
...I have one cat who loves chocolate (weasel), one who loves candy canes (squirrel) and one who loves black coffee (possum)...

DammitJanet

I have a son who is an animal control officer. I could tell you so many animal stories I would be here for days.

Like the day he had to climb a tree, cut down limbs and rescue a raccoon when it got its head stuck in a tree. Or the time someone thought they had kittens in their crawl space and it was a whole family of baby skunks!

Jody

That's too funny Janet. I am strange I love the skunk smell. LOL. Clears the sinuses. I love animals but am scared silly of those crazy possums. They really are quite ugly looking to me.

DammitJanet

Oh I have a possum story. Somehow, we arent real sure how, we got some baby possums in our house. First it was one, we think. We noticed the little guy sneaking over to eat out of the dog food dish. We tried to catch him right then but they are FAST! So we had to keep an eye out and keep trying to catch him. Finally we caught him in a corner a few days later by catching him with a box in a corner.

Tony took him off into the woods way back on our property.

We thought we were done with the issue.

A few days or so later, I reached down beside my bed to get something and felt fur! I leaned over the bed and there was a possum! We stared at each other before he ran behind my dresser. I called Tony on the phone. (He was out of town) He told me to just keep watch and see if I could catch him coming out and throw a towel over him. I called my oldest son from his bedroom to come help me. We tried to find the possum. It had disappeared. We kept searching for days. It must have been hiding somewhere. Eventually we caught him in a corner and threw a towel over him and took him off into the woods.

Round three.

Bigger possum. Maybe momma? Maybe the same ones coming back? We dont know.

This time my middle son is here with his family and they walk into my bedroom and the stupid possum is standing on my little table that holds my fan. Now this is the animal control officer. LOL. He grabs a towel, reaches down, grabs it...takes it out and whacks it upside the head. We havent had a possum since.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I'm sorry Janet but if I ever come visit, I'm sleeping with the lights on! LOL AND, I'm NOT going to meet Jamie. LOL

As for funny stories....this probably isn't funny to anyone but me but I got a good laugh out of it. Chester (my JackRat for you newbies) was wanting to play. I threw his rope a few times and then checked on the meat I had defrosting. As I walked out of the kitchen with him behind me, I took off running (or as close to it as I get) and grabbed his rope off the floor as I went. He was far enough behind me that he missed the rope but close enough I heard his teeth snap together. Maybe I'm mean but that little sound made me :rofl:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Bruce the cat is currently protesting my going to school. He targets and lays on both my book bags, my notebooks, my textbooks (especially when I'm reading them), and I even found him inside the book bag one day! I get really aggravated at him when I'm trying to type something up for school and he's either struggling to get into my lap or attempting to type with me. Goofy cat.

Betsy the basset/lab mix is just plain a clown. I bought her and Molly a stuffed hedgehog a while back (it had been a while since the last one) and she went bonkers with it, throwing it all over the house and chasing it until she ran into the livingroom wall head on. Yep. That one had me cracking up. lol

donna723

I've got one who can throw a ball ... to herself! My Katy (the one in my avatar), the toy fanatic, has figured this out. She jams the ball into a corner of the room, then works her nose under it, inching it up higher and higher, then with one big upward thrust of her head she launches the ball across the room - then she chases it. She's very good at amusing herself. She has also been known to hide the ball (from herself!) so she can have the fun of looking for it again! I keep a wadded up blanket on the sofa for them to snuggle in and she will stuff the ball waaaay down in to the blanket, then roll it all around until it's way down in there, then she starts looking for it again. Big fun if you're a dog! And something else she's just started doing that just cracks me up ... she tries to talk to me! It's just recently dawned on me that the sound she makes when she's trying to communicate with me is completely different than when she's 'talking' to the other dogs! When she's 'talking' to the other dogs, she barks. When she 'talks' to me, it's this low pitched growly little 'woo woo wooo' sound, very conversational in tone, the closest she can come to human speech! I used to think it was just a coincidence, but she does it all the time now. She does it when she really wants something, like if her toy has rolled somewhere that she can't get it. She's doing her darndest to make me understand her and she knows that I don't speak 'dog'! I think I may have the world's only bi-lingual Boston!

Fran

Former desparate mom
My Lizzie, has started pawing the floor (since Dec.) like she is making her nest. She has been waking me up 3 or 4 times a night vigorously pawing the carpet. When I tell her stop, she lays down and just paws the air.It's like she has to paw but knows she shouldn't wear out the rug. It's so funny watching her pawing the air.
I have no idea why she started and how to stop it.

donna723

Fran, have you tried giving her a blanket to lay on? Mine all have their own blankets in their crates and when they go to bed they paw them to rearrange them to get more comfortable. Ragan makes a little circular nest out of hers, then lays right in the middle. And Katy and Trace will both wad up one end of theirs to make a raised up place to use as a pillow.

KTMom91

The Panther Boys stole Miss KT's beret last week, and put it in the bathtub. I trained them to put themselves back in their habitat when we shake a bag of cat treats and yell, "Panther treats! Panther treats!"

Buddy can open his "cookie" jar, and select his own treats. Since he's an inside dog, he takes his chewbones and buries them in the laundry basket, between the couch cushions, or in similar places. Miss KT is not amused when chewbones appear under her pillow.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Donna you're little boston cracks me up!! :rofl: Molly tosses her huge plastic "herding" ball like that when she's feeling really frisky. (which isn't much now that she's older)

I think Betsy believes she is telepathic. Because when she needs/wants something she will simply stare at us. Nothing else. Just stare with this look like she's trying so hard to get a message thru. lol This can be for anything from wanting a treat to needing to potty. So we have to ask her by going down a list of what she wants. When we get to the right one she always hops around making a big deal out of it like Wow! They finally figured it out. :rofl:

Fran, giving her a big blanket ought to help her with the pawing. She's trying to make her bed, but there isn't a bed to make. I got one of those huge microfiber throws for Molly and Betsy. I like it because I can toss it into the wash easily once a week. :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Hitting the wall head on reminded me of two stories - and one of those reminded me of a third.

Years ago when Weasel was a kitten, I had an apartment with hardwood floors. She loved to race around (well, still does). So one evening I am in the bathtub. She comes racing in and - smack! - head on into the bathtub. Shook her head & started racing around again. Next time, she got to the bathroom, saw the tub, and at the last second launched... Yeah, dripping cat with razor toes.

Second one, a few years later. XH and I had this BIG picture window, and Weasel, being small, loved to jump onto the curtain rod. I tried to discourage it, but there is only so much you can do. Anyway, Possum thought it would be fun. Took off running, jumped... SMACK INTO THE WINDOW. He was about 3 feet short of the rod - and he weighs a LOT more than Weasel.

And more recently - about 3 years ago. Squirrel loves water. She used to hop in while we were showering (sometimes still does). Anyway, Jett was in the tub, and Squirrel was on the side watching the bubbles. She decided it would be more fun to sit on the side by the wall. Well... That side's only about 2", rounded into the tub...

Abbey

Spork Queen
Well, I've got a few but the one that sticks in my mind was quite embarrassing. Lesson learned. Don't talk around intelligent parrots anything you don't want them to repeat. H and I had a couple over for dinner one night and their cage was behind the sofa. We're having a glass of wine and all of a sudden I hear, "Shut the F up!!! You stupid ****!! Get the F up!!!" It was exactly in H's voice with lots of volume. I just slowly turned and looked at the culprits then gave H a scary stare.

These were relatively new friends and were kind of shocked. Lots of apologies at that point.

Abbey

Mom2oddson

My old pitbull Buddy LOVED to be in the car and went with me all the time. Well, it was a dark evening and I guess I had a head-light out. I got pulled over, saw the officer open up his ticket book as he got out of the car. Buddy was sound asleep on the passenger side and would of been fine if the officer had come to the drivers window. Instead, he came up to the passengers side and wrapped really hard on the window. Woke Buddy up and he was not happy. And anyone who knows about pitbulls knows that they don't have friendly barks.

The officer came around to the drivers side but it was too late. I was trying to hold Buddy back while trying to talk to the officer. He closed his ticket book and said "just wanted to let you know that you have a headlight out" and off he walked. Buddy got a BIG treat for dinner!

The funniest part is that Buddy was a chicken-dog. Anytime someone would come over to the house, he'd hide behind the furniture until I reassured him that he would be safe.

DammitJanet

Hysterical Mom2!

Good doggy. Sounds like my little pit puppy Nina. She is only about 4 months old right now but she will hide and run unless she is in her kennel in the house. Then she will bark all ferocious-like and act like she is going to protect her mommy...lol. All behind a steel cage...lol.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Okay, we used to have a little cairn terrier rescue dog, Mo, who was a bit tweaked in the head. When it began thundering and lightening outside, he would spin in circles, but only to the left, and poop would just start flying out of his, well, you know. Also, Mo hated his crate, I mean he HATED it. One night after serving up some delicious ribs, as we were clearing the table, Mo got his nose into the garbage and stole a rib. H chased him all over the house and guess where he decided to hide? In a place he thought we'd never look...the crate! H wrestled the rib from his jaws and nearly got bitten!

Our Sophie barks at birds flying in the sky and lifts her entire body way up off the ground, it's almost like she's sprouted wings and can catch them.

Little Izzy has a big red Squish pillow (the kind that are squishy and filled with those tiny styrofoam balls). At around 9 pm she comes to the end of the hallway and stares me down. I have to go get her red pillow, place it in the center of my bed and put her up there where she digs around to give it the perfect amount of 'loft' and then she curls into a tiny ball and waits for H and me to join her. Sometimes, if I put her on there and go back to studying or the computer, she will jump down, come to the end of the hallway and stare me down again until one of us goes to bed with her, as if to say, "Okay, it's nite nite time, let's go!"

And Nala is just a little love bug who growls and snarls when her mama (me) kisses her belly!

Marguerite

I grew up with corgis, on a small farm. Our neighbours had an overgrown paddock out the back of our place, they wanted us to get something to agist on it (so they could get it eaten down, plus stop the government taking the land - a long involved story) so we bought ten sheep. Not quite the usual Aussie sheep station... but how do we get the sheep back into the pen at close of day? The only dog we had that was capable, was our smallest corgi. She was about 2 feet high if she stood on her hind legs. The grass was three feet high...

The first few times she herded the sheep, she had to bound like a rabbit. You could hear her thinking, at the top of each bound, "Where are the sheep? Where are the sheep? Where are... oh, there they are!" And when she had them localised, she'd run at ground level through the grass and suddenly appear yapping and nipping at their heels, giving them quite a start.

Sadly, the sheep learned very quickly to head for home with out being herded, and they did a brilliant job eating the grass down to croquet lawn standards.

Then there was the Hereford calf we once had... I've written an epic poem about her and the tricks she played on my father.

When I was a baby, my mother could put me in the play pen and leave me unattended, guarded by our nursemaid dog, Pete. No stranger would set foot inside that gate while Pete was guarding. But out of the play pen, I could do anything I liked to that dog. I remember trying to wiggle his teeth to see how they were attached, and trying to get a grip on his tongue with thumb and forefinger, but it was too slippery. He also would shake his head so I couldn't get my fingers too far down into his ears. All the time I would be crawling over this dog, doing what I liked to him and he would sit there, not moving away, just putting up with it. I remember being taken outside by my eldest sister who wanted to take my photo with the dog. It's the only photo we have of him. In the photo I would have been maybe two years old. He died a couple of years later from tickbite, the year I started school. Maybe if I hadn't been at school, I would have found the tick on him.

We only have two budgies as pets at the moment, and a few chooks (hens) for eggs. I just saw the budgies a few minutes ago in the bathroom (where they like to hang out all day) and they were on the floor peering through the floor-length windows at a BUTCHER BIRD on the other side of the glass. The Butcher Bird looked very interested, would have loved to get to the budgies for dinner. But the budgies were trying to play with it...

Thank goodness for beak-proof glass!

Marg