Animal Lover here again-Does anyone have a funny pet story to share with me?

donna723

What do you do when there's a MOUSE hiding in the vacuum cleaner?

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u246/donna723/?action=view&current=katy005.jpg

You stick your tongue in there to see if you can reach it, of course!

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u246/donna723/?action=view&current=Copyofkaty008.jpg

If that doesn't work, you just sit down and resolve to wait him out! He's gotta come out of there sooner or later!

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u246/donna723/?action=view&current=katy004.jpg

Marguerite

We have a barrel-type vacuum cleaner, we roll marbles along the hose if we need to get stuff out. I also bought a bag-saver (to try to foil the bad habits of my (now former) cleaner) and things like mice would end up there.

On the possum subject - I suspect opossums are as territorial as Aussie possums are. What happens when you re-locate possums - the fact you had one there, means you have a possum-friendly habitat. The possum which gets moved, will leave a "vacant possession" sign hanging up and at some stage (depending on how many possums in your area) another will move in.

The ranger killing the possum - it wouldn't happen here but in fact, he was doing a practical thing. Relocating a territorial animal generally leads to the death of that animal. Too often people would say, "You didn't move it far enough away, it came back," when in fact it was another possum that moved in.

In Australia, they will remove a possum from a house or a roof, but release it right outside. They often suggest we put up a possum box for the possum to learn to sleep in outside. It's a sort of furry protection racket, keep the little crittur warm and housed outside and it will keep interlopers away from your roof space.

A brief aside on the name - "opossum" came first. Not sure why it got tat name, but the US marsupials were known before Australia was discovered. So the Aussie ones were actually named after the US ones. "Oh, look! The Great South Land has possums too! Only they're cuter."

We love to read early records and diaries of Aussie explorers. Somewhere we have a printout from an old Aussie newspaper which had an editorial in it, very scathing about "alleged reports of a tree kangaroo". The article is hilarious, red in hindsight. The author was talking about how gullible people can be, and the sheer impossibility of the idea of a kangaroo that not only could climb trees (and not get stuck up there because of its tail) but actually preferred to stay up the tree.
Tree kangaroos are found in the tropics, in the northern tip of Queensland and into New Guinea, which took a long time to be opened up and discovered. And yes, they do have long tails but still manage well in trees.
You also get Cuscus in the same areas and they are very efficient climbers, using their tail to help grip. husband & I were at Sydney's Taronga Zoo some years ago, in the nocturnal house, when the Cuscus decided to go for a walk to visit the neighbouring enclosures. It was not happy with the keeper trying to grab his tail and herd him back to his own cage. He growled!

Marg

tawnya

We have two little rat terriers. We raise produce for a living, and you should see these dogs shuck and eat an ear of sweet corn. They completely shuck and silk the ear without damaging the kernels first, then they eat the corn. They are real attention getters at our roadside stand. It is quite amazing to see them do it.

Jody

Decided to take the love of my life Broady for an outing. We got in the car and went to go visit my oldest daughter, about 3-4 miles away. About 1 mile into the drive Broady is sitting next to me and I look over and he's acting like he's getting ready to vomit. I have a very weak stomach. I am begging him to hold on till I can pull over. I do not know what's wrong, so I am like if he vomits I am too, omg, I am on the highway. I finally pull off into a Popeye's restraunt parking lot. No grass , but good dry pavement. I get him out the car and he acts like he's okay. I let him go to the bathroom and he seems okay. We got about 1 mile to the bank, and they give him dog biscuits. Not thinking I let him have them. 1-2 miles down the road, the dry heaving starts again, then I realize he ate the biscuits, gross. vomits on the floor board. I am driving down the road and have my shirt pulled over my nose, dry heaving myself. He farts and it smells like terrible, terrible rotten cabbage. I roll down the window as far as I can and try to drive and stick my head out the window. I roll his down as far as I can. He was trying to get to my back seat, I think to take a dump. I don't want to let him do it, or I swear I will have to sell my car or junk it. Gross. OMG, he's disgusting. I am begging and pleading hold on boy, hold on boy. He really wants to the back seat to get away from the mess he has created and to bury his head in my winter coat laying in the back seat. I let him back there because if I don't we are going to wreck. I finally get him home and he goes to the bathroom in the yard. We get in the house and he runs and lays down on my bed. I am now so sick to my stomach from the dry heaving I can't quit. He is lying on my bed acting like he has the bed spins or is drunk panting heavily. Oh my goodness after all that we lay on the bed side by side and just look at each other. He's so darned cute and I love him so much, but I don't think he will ever ride in my car again. Ugh. Yuck.

'

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Many, many years ago, husband and I had a cat that used to go out in the garden via a cat door. One night, as we were locking up the house, we noticed that our upstairs neighbor's big, black Persian cat had come in with our cat and both were happily snoozing. One on each end of the sofa.

This had happened before and dealing with it only required waking "Mao" up and sending him on his way.

husband "clicked" at Mao and called him, only to have the cat pick up his head. At this point we saw a broad white stripe across "Mao's" forehead.

Yep, our cat had invited his skunk buddy into the house for a snack and a nap. I had no idea that two humans could backpedal that quickly in complete silence.

We solved the problem by chivvying our cat and his buddy back out the cat door and standing guard until he came back in...ALONE.

I have no idea of the gender of the skunk, but it was a big one. Later that year we discovered we had a litter of skunklings under the house, but luckily none of them ever tried to come in the house.

DammitJanet

LOL GN!

Jamie's mother in law Kathy, (I never know what to call her in relationship to me!), was a huge wildlife fan and would feed all the critters outdoors so they would come up in her yard at her apartment. She is deceased now. She had bird feeders, squirrel feeders, bird baths, huge cat food dishes for strays and she would toss out scraps for other wild life. Well, she got this huge raccoon who visited who became quite tame after he came so often and realized no one was going to hurt him and he was getting fed cat food...lol.

Then there was the family of snow white skunks! They came year after year but you only saw them late at night/early morning and you had to be very careful if you went out to smoke because they would come up to the edge of the front of the apartment to get cat food or they would be out in the yard getting scraps. They were just like regular skunks but snow white. I only saw them once and I slowly made my way back inside...lol.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
We have a local liquor/bait/cigarette shop that has a fairly tame skunk that comes around to eat the dead minnows they throw out. It's a big one, but over the years has become pretty tame. He still only comes out at dusk and dawn to get "his" minnows.

donna723

I haven't seen any skunks since I've moved in to town from out in the country, but there are possums. I haven't seen him for a while but there was a really big chubby one who would come up on my back porch every night and finish up what ever cat food was left in the pan. I could hear him crunching. It didn't seem to bother the cats at all. They would just sit there watching him eat, then when he was finished he'd waddle off into the bushes again.

I only live a half block from our old fashioned town square and courthouse and in two weeks they're having our annual outdoor art festival - tiny by big-city standards but pretty good for little ol' us! I'm going again this year and my old high school buddy who bought a home in a neighboring county when they retired is coming over to go with me. I always take the dogs along on a leash as an opportunity to further socialize them - they have a really good time and love all the attention they get. Or rather I take Katy and Trace, one at a time. Freebie is way too skittery and wouldn't enjoy it at all, and Ragan gets so over-excited and stressed that she hyperventilates. Katy and Trace absolutely adore going places and enjoy seeing different things and getting to meet people. The last time I tried this though, Trace decided to take a giant record-breaking dump ... right in the middle of the court house lawn ... while I was chatting with the mayor! I was embarassed to tears but he didn't seem to care - he's that kind of mayor. And Trace could have cared less!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
When we lived in Germany, we quite frequently used to go to 'shooting festivals' which were a combination of marksmanship competitions and "fairs". One day we stopped in the beer tent for the obvious and for some grilled sausages and fries. We sat down at a long table with a paper tablecloth and ordered our German Shepherd to lay beneath the table.

One German woman realized there was a dog under the table but not what breed. She was feeding our dog french fries under the table. Finally, when we were done eating, our dog crept out from under the table and stood up.

Poor woman nearly fell off the bench when she realized WHAT'S mouth she'd had her fingers in repeatedly.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Donna. Nope. The breed is still called a German Shepherd because there are also Belgian shepherds, Dutch Shepherds, etc.

mog

We have two blueheelers one female Fancy and one male Mogs --Well we have to haul water so we have a trailer that has a large water tank on and every weekend husband takes the dogs with him to get water--they love riding on the trailer. Unfortunately it was stolen new years so we have been using an older trailer with no rails--Mogs and fancy are very competitive and IF Mogs gets on first Fancy has to fight to get on. husband was finished hauling water and going around the back of the house to give them one last ride before parking the trailer. The two of them were running around the trailer while it was moving and Fancy fell off :bravo: which in itself was hysterical but then she attacked Mogs as if to say "Why the heck did you push me off" :rofl:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
When difficult child 1 was a little guy, I had a beautiful black and white husky with piercing blue eyes.

He was a wonderful dog, except he was best buds with the ex-in-law's Irish Setter. Despite living 4 miles apart, they visited each other regularly. Except the setter wouldn't go home when the playdate was over...he'd come to our house.

My husky was young at the time and had a lot of chew toys - old stuffed animals, old shoes, etc. We kept them in a basket in the living room and he knew to get them from the basket, as well as occassionally put one back in it. He loved those pressed rawhide chews that are kind of like particle board - lots of little rawhide chips stuck together. They came in a package with various shapes, and the package always included 1 ball of pressed rawhide. It didn't take him long to learn that if he ate the ball, he had no more ball, so he stopped eating the ball.

One evening, the in-law's were gone and the setter showed up so we just let him stay. He discovered the basket and ate the last remaininig pressed rawhide chew - he ate the ball.

The husky heard the chomping in time to see the setter eat the last of his rawhide ball.

He then went around the house, picking up all of his toys, and putting them in a pile in the bedroom door. When he got them all picked up, he pllopped down on top of the pile and slept there all night.

Friendship has its limits. Even in the dog world. :tongue:

Marguerite

In Germany, did they just refer to your dog as a "Shepherd"?

In Australia, any dog that has the word "Australian" in its breed name still gets the full name - as in "Australian Blue Heeler". Or "Sydney Silkie".

Marg