Annual cheers and jeers Mother's Day thread

flutterby

Fly away!
Ok - a really secret and not-gonna-happen wish. I wish that difficult child would say, "You too" in response to me telling her I love her instead of just, "K."

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
The top two worst Mother's Day that stand out for me was 1) when the girls were tiny, my ex announced that we were going to see his mom for the day (I saw her all the time and she expected to be entertained by her grands) and I said no. So he took the girls and went without me. 2) the girls were preteens and from the moment we awoke, they were pure rotten to me, just insolent and disagreeable and winey. I called my niece over and H took me for a drive.

This year we have mother in law living nearby so this adds a new twist for us. MY plan is to have an early brunch followed by a visit to my mom at the nursing home followed by a mellow afternoon at home...we shall see.

What I would LOVE is to have the entire day with no demands by anyone so I can just chill and do what I want, no chores, nothing. But that would mean I'd have to bust my butt on Saturday to clean and get the chores done and then make everyone miserable enough to leave me alone, lol.

Flutterby, I hear you about the I love you thing. easy child never says it or replies to it at all. And she won't give or accept hugs. She's squirrelly.

SuZir

My worst mother's day was my first. Some good and important things arose from that day and it was totally my own fault, I made a bed and had to sleep on it, but awful nevertheless. difficult child was just out of hospital after scary and potentially deathly illness. During hospital stay husband had found out difficult child was not his biological son and I had cheated on him. He was going back and forth our flat and his parents house (they still lived in this house at the time and were building a new one nearby with the idea we would be moving here) and staying with us or getting divorce and contesting paternity. He had told his parents about it and also his siblings knew. I wanted to spend the day alone with difficult child and maybe visit my own mom, husband was going to Mother's Day brunch that has been a tradition in their family for ages. He made it a stipulation for me and difficult child to join him, if I wanted to continue having him in my life. He wasn't going to shy away from his family because his wife was a cheat.

That brunch was awful. None of husband's siblings really knowing what attitude to take with me. Pure hatred from mother in law, difficult child screaming all way through, because he had just recently understood that there were two kinds of people in the world; mom and dad and not-mom and dad. My own fault and all that, but goodness it was a terrible day.

Good thing was that it made me take a stance with husband. My son would not grow up in the environment there he was less than someone else. There would not be any in-between. I was sorry and understood it was horrible for him, but he had to choose either to be with me and difficult child totally or not to be. That if he left us, I did understood he would still be attached to difficult child and I would allow him to meet difficult child and be a nice guy who comes to play with him at times. But if he would choose to stay with us, there would not be any 'his kids' and 'not his kid' in our family. How well that has worked out is a different matter, but honestly I believe the bigger obstacle for husband and difficult child is that they are so very different people.

Nowadays my Mother's days really tend to be enjoyable. At the morning boys bring me breakfast to the bed - and come to bed with me and try to snatch most of it. They are smart enough to make enough for four but still it is usually hour long food fight. After that we clean up for that Mother's Day brunch, that are usually enjoyable too. Some yearly mother in law drama but husband's siblings are cool bunch. At afternoon husband takes us all to something enjoyable for whole family. Often to a sport event or to try some obscure sport. So all in all good time.

I'll bring the salsa and chips...

All of my kids are out of the nest so this will be the "best" Mother's Day ever. I learned a long time ago not to expect anything and I will not be disappointed...

If I get a phone call, email, or really stretching it on this one, a card, it'll be a special Mother's Day...

DDD

Actually, lol, it is all my fault. During the "formative" years I was a single Mom supporting the three children and my widowed Mother. I stressed that the best thing to give me was a hug, or a chore well done, or a day with-o naughty behavior...that it had nothing to do with money and presents, it was the heart.

Truthfully I am NOT "into" presents even now. on the other hand some of my six figure children could suprise me with candy or flowers of Vita Bath every few years! LOL DDD

Kathy813

Staff member
Truthfully I am NOT "into" presents even now.

Well, I like presents and it sure would be nice to get one this year. I doubt that will happen but easy child did call and ask what we are doing on Sunday to celebrate Mother's Day. We decided to meet at our favorite Italian restaurant.

I don't know if difficult child will call or not. Right now I'm not sure I want her too. I am not very happy with her at the moment (long story).

I hope everyone is pleasantly surprised.

~Kathy

nerfherder

Heck with all those kids. I bought myself an 8 oz. box of Baker's Bittersweet Chocolate. I'm set through the weekend. Maybe. Some weekends have been a standard Hershey's, lately they've been a Hershey's Special Dark Jumbo bar, this weekend I'm just going all out with a half pound (and maybe more.)

Darned good thing I work so hard. :)

DDD

OK, Nerf, if you set the tone for honesty (not that my post was not accurate, lol, it was just incomplete)...I have to admit that DDD bought DDD a Mother's Day present. That is HUGELY a departure from the norm as I honestly don't get off on shopping.

The truth is that Macy's had a freight PPD thing going on and I have not purchased anything in the past year SO I ordered myself a supply of Bare Minerals makeup stuff. It was on sale. It was PPD. :fantasysmiley: I did receive at the store yesterday and LOL and OMG the product containers are SO small that a dwarf couldn't get made up for a week. Oops...I think that word is no longer "correct". A little person or a five year old couldn't get made up for a week. BUT, lol, I did receive a present. DDD :bigsmile:

Nobody in my house will know or care it's Mother's Day. It is sad, if they do know, they must think I don't care about that and don't acknowlede it. difficult child might, we'll see. The others are oblivious.

I will say, I bought myself a Nook 2 days ago for $20 at Radio Shack, it was a one day sale! I also bought a watch ......I needed ome and knew it would be my present to myself- I don't need anyone to give me things.........but it is the thought and it does make me sad. I hate Mother's Day.

I did make sure my student's have thebest cards and gift for their mom's. We had fun making them.