anoather pet peeve

Star*

call 911........call 911
You're in good company with that Syndrome - Haozi's eyes are bleeding - I think I'll seat you two together. (sprays Lysol) -germophobe. :tinfoilhatsmile:

(in bad Elvis voice) THank you Thank you very much.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I do pretty well considering I came from very country stock.

It drives the kids mad that when talking to people here, I use my "country" language. If I'm in cincy or dayton, I use my "city" language. lol Just depends on who I'm talking to. lol

When I was little wash cloths were washrags. Shampoos were headwashes. And it's pop, not soda. Soda is what you use for a tummy ache. It's not toasted cheese sandwich, it's cheese toasties. lol

When I first met mother in law she talked about sodas.........took me a week to figure out what she was referring to. Finally I had to come right out and ask.

Adding the "l" or "r" to idea drives me insane. Although I admit I'm guilty of the realtor one unless I think of what I'm saying before I open my mouth. But then it's pronounced realitor.

And Star that I could read your entire story with ease says a lot for where I'm living. :rofl:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Yeassss Yeasssss Howzie you girts a frunt row seat iffin you wants to sits at the libarry wit yo' frien Malieeka and it's prettner a stones throw frun da crik.

Hound I digress; were it a reality that I was forced to pen my stories in the manner of vernacular for which I was accustomed to hearing in daily living [with the exception of our home of course] it is doubtful that anyone but swamp frogs, myself and other Southern gentlemen would scarcely understand. I'm not putting anyone down mind you, but on several occasions even the men in places I have often been have had to turn to the men speaking saying, and I quote "Boy what in tarnation did you just say? Sounded like you was speakin' with a mouth full of marbles."

The real Southern boys that I've had the utmost pleasure of being around? Have been a complete delight to know all the way around. Manners abound. I'm very pleased to have my door opened, or to have a gentlemen step out of the way and allow me to pass through the door first or to offer his chair to me in a crowded room. In kind I always thank them, and if the person happens to be younger it was told to me quite acceptable to utter 'Please thank your Mother for raising you proper' which to date has never gotten anything but a smile and a thank you in return.

Past that? I can tell you stories from the bottom of Florida to the top of Ohio that would curl Native American hair like Shirley Temples.

trinityroyal

When I was little wash cloths were washrags. Shampoos were headwashes. And it's pop, not soda. Soda is what you use for a tummy ache. It's not toasted cheese sandwich, it's cheese toasties. lol

Pop, not soda. And soda is what you use to take the cabbage smell out of the sink or to clear the drains. Seltzer is for a tummy ache.

Pants are what you wear under your trousers, and braces are what you use to hold them up. (Suspenders are those delicate garments that ladies used to use to hold up their stockings before pantyhose were invented). Toasted cheese or cheese toasties -- sounds delicious either way, but I grew up calling it a butty.

And it delights me to no end to know that people actually say "tarnation"! I've loved the word forever, but have never heard it used in real life.

Trinity

Malika

While you are mainly right, Trinity, soda is in fact the white bubbly tasteless stuff that comes out of a siphon and goes with whisky :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
I say tarnation a lot. I've succumbed to the dialacet of the region. I've also succumbed to the proper punctiation, and ten dollar words of my CD friends. I'm a mixed bag, or plethora of anectdotal wordsmithing.

Said in a myriad of tongue-in-cheek verbage so as not to annoy the post creator. :flirtysmile3:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Come to sc reunion !!!!!! Ya'll gotta be kiddin? If you've ever heard me and Every woman (Cleveland reunion) talk on the phone or me and Janet talk on the phone? You'd be jus' fine.

Call me I'll prove it.

Call um......call......AUNT BECKI...or FLutter or Wynter.... they'll tell you - you will have such an awesome time. No one worries about yer talkin'.......silly pink horse rider.

Malika

Is this the way they speak in the film about the gay cowboys - can't remember the title just now? I went to see it with some foreign students when I was teaching English and they were despairing at the end because they hadn't understood anything. I told them not to worry because I hadn't either.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Thay aint no uptite gals in the whole pack .......dang we laughed so hard at BobEvens we danged near got throwed clear out to the parkin lot...next to the noeyedeer......He din't have no eyes......so he's a NO IDEAR.....

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'd have to defer to Brokeback mountain to know how Gay cowboys speak. I think they speak jus like any other cowboy - just happier.