anoather pet peeve

Star*

call 911........call 911
Samich.....I love that word. (sorry poster who hates that word)

When I hear the word SANDWICH......I think Are you a GOOD witch or a BAD witch? (from Wizard of Oz) and I ALWAYS ANSWER EVERY, SINGLE TIME I HEAR IT.....I'm a SAND WITCH - EAT ME.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We started saying it in a highly inappropriate setting.

When difficult child 1 rodeoed (rodeod...??? went to rodeos) I was kinda poor-ish, so we always packed the camp stove and a cooler. The boys were mid-teens and squabbled as boys do, and one day one of them yelled at the other "make me a sammich, (bad word that rhymes)". It just kinda stuck. From them on, everyone took turns being the "sammich (bad word)" and making all "sammiches" for everyone for the day.

trinityroyal

:rofl:

Y'know, I've never tried to spell my pronunciation phonetically. My accent (English + Carribbean, filtered through southern Ontario, and add a bit of Aspie "Little Professor' ) is bent enough that I don't dare attempt it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
This has turned into a quite humorous thread. lol

My grandma used Tarnation............all the time. Somehow I managed not to pick that one up.

Opposum. Drives me crazy when people feel the need to use the O. It's posum folks. Not sure if I spelled the original right though, spell check didn't like it but I've been lifting a wheel chair in and out of a car for 2 days straight and am too exhausted for my brain to work properly.

Coyote said Ki-oat-A (A sound) We always said ki-oat. Here they say ki-o-tea. I can live with that one. But the ki-oat-A one drives me crazy. There is no A in that word. Now watch the first one is the right way to say it. lol

sammich can grate on my nerves but I've grown used to it pronounced that way.

Malika

Brokeback Mountain, yes! Where were they from, those cowboys? It was an incomprehensible accent. Of course, I don't have an accent as I speak like our dear Queen.

KTMom91

Hubby says he can tell when I'm getting ready to lay someone out, because I start drawling. I don't know why I do that, but apparently it's a good barometer for him.

My great-grandparents were from Tennessee...could it be genetic?

Star*

call 911........call 911
One of our FAVORITES (new) is Janets little granddaughters Keyana's version of Chihuahua - KILLS ME - swear it slays me.....she calls them.......(ready for this)

CHICKEN WHA WHAs.......is that adorable or WHAT?

Dude called Ketchup - KayPop.......and Burger King was BURBER-King - I don't think to this day he calls it BURgER king - It's BURber King.....No idea why.

The caboose on a train was TOOTaBOOSE......but he was just a little tiny fella and eventually got Caboose.....but Kpop - always for Ketchup.

donna723

That's cute! When my daughter was just learning to talk, those little black lumpy things that you burn in the barbeque were "chuckle". Took me quite a while to figure that one out. We went all through the grocery store with her in the baby seat of the cart, telling me not to forget the "chuckle" before I realized that she meant "charcoal". To her, a helicopter was a "hot-hopter" and a bicycle was a "bice-pipple".

I know I shouldn't let it bother me but it's really annoys me to see adults who don't seem to know the difference between "to", "two" and "too". Also "then" and "than". I'm occasionally guilty of this one myself, but if I do it, it's a typo - I do know the difference.

H

HaoZi

I never heard of cheese toasties or butties or whatever y'all call them things up here. I grew up knowing them as grilled cheese sandwiches (as opposed to sammiches).
I've lost most of my drawl since moving north, but it does kick up now and then, with a bit of my Mom's NY accent blended in. When I spent the summer in NY one year the first three days my southern drawl got thicker each day, and after that I sounded like I was born and raised in NY (except for the lingo).

I used to love listening to Kiddo say "hoss-ta-bull" instead of "hospital" and "tera-dact-till" with a bit of a lisp on the first "t" instead of "terra-dact-dyl."

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Trinity--

It took me forever to figure out what Canadians were asking for when they want a "serviette"...(Napkins! Who knew? The table kind....and sometimes the "feminine kind".LOL!)

And in Canada, a toboggan is a very long sled. A toque is a small winter hat.

But in the south...a small winter hat is called a toboggan. (Imagine my surprise when someone told me to wear a toboggan on my head!)

trinityroyal

Ah, yes. Serviette is the French influence.

A small winter hat is called a toboggan? Really?! How very strange. I can't imagine wearing a toboggan on my head (or for that matter trying to slide down a snowy hill on a toque).

This is a toque (pronounced TOOK):
http://www.ocanadagear.com/toque-ocrim.htm

This is a toboggan:
http://www.pelicansport.com/index.php?language=en&category=wintertoys&toys=toboggans

I
am really enjoying this thread. What a blast!

And now a question: What do you call that soft cushiony thing with room for 3 adults to sit? A Sofa? Chesterfield? Couch?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Grandma called it a davenport. We call it a settee. But I'm along the lines of Daisy Face now -

Sofa to us has one continuous cushion, (like a fainting sofa) couch had multiple cushions, Love seat has TWO cushions because only two people can sit on it. Two =love. And we're back to Malkas cowboys. Moo Moo buckaroo.

H

HaoZi

I've always considered couch and sofa to be interchangeable, and the smaller is a love seat. DF, I'm from the South, too, but I've never heard of a hat of any type called a toboggan. Where did you hear it?

The trucks here looked weird to me for quite a while after we moved here. I finally figured out it was because there were no gunracks in the back windows, they're not allowed here. Trucks look nekkid without them.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think toboggan is a northern term for ski hat.

Here in the hood? Those are "necessaries" for anyone wanting to make quick cash.

H

HaoZi

I thought "necessaries" were underwear and more private toiletries. Or was that "unmentionables"? Cripes, I'm trying to reach back into Grandma's lingo and I don't really remember it or much of Mom's.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have no clue. I spent the afternoon at the local thrift store with one of my besties and his boyfriend. THEY are a riot. (He's the one that gave me the moo moo buckaroo line) I was telling and asking him about gay cowboys and all I heard all afternoon was renditions of famous cowboys with 'put-on' femine accents. I left and my sides hurt. When I was walking out he yells back at me and says "Oooo oooo I know how they talk...then did a western walk and said 'Moo Moo buckaroo." and slapped his butt. I nearly fell on the ground laughing. No one else knew what we were laughing about but when I said "OMG you guys are so funny! They looked at each other and said "Does she mean funny haha, or funny (then made a hand gesture) and it was on."

Here if you say I need the necessary room? It means the toilet. So technically I guess you could say I need the underware room. Kinda fits.

H

HaoZi

Heh, even now I enjoy announcing exactly what I need the bathroom for around very prim and proper stuffed shirt types. Juvenile, I know, but it still entertains me.