anoather pet peeve

donna723

I always thought that "couch" and "sofa" were interchangeable terms too. Back in my parents' day some people called them "davenports" - wonder where that ever came from? If I hear the word "settee", I'm picturing a delicate little antique thing with thin cushions, not a big upholstered sofa or couch. And we always just called that sandwich a "grilled cheese".

Around here those knit hats are just called 'boggans.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well that's good because I wrote you what bikers call toilet paper - THERE's a match. lol. Rhymes with QUIT Tickets. Try that on for grins and giggles in the grocery store when you're digging for a coupon. Of course he never says it loud or public, but I try to make sure I never have taken a drink of water when walking down the paper aisle because I just never know when he's going to come up with some off the wall North Dakota, Sweedish, biker combination word for some implement or necessity.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I like that ---baby boggart.....(needed a spit warning) better go git a ticket.

FOR MY MOUTH.....MY MOUTH......(added that post haste)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
My mom called the couch a davenport, mother in law called it a sette or sofa, love seat did equal two cushions.....grandma used the term couch.

Unmentionables are underwear. Grandma gave me that one. lol I'm sure the look on my face was priceless when she tried to ask me if I needed feminine protection, as in "napkin", not pad. Then she handed me the kotex box and sure enough it said feminine "napkins". omg lol

Once I started learning to cook from other people..........I had to figure out for myself that a "pancake turner" was a spatula. sheesh

Malika

For a while I went to a rather strange (boarding) school, where you "went to the Aunt". Being a euphemism for the unmentionable loo.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I think toboggan is a northern term for ski hat.

Well, let's see...

I'm originally from Buffalo. We used toboggans to sled down a hill....and a toque was to keep your head warm.

The first time I ever heard a hat called a toboggan was in the Carolinas. Somebody told me his son refused to wear his toboggan - and I didn't have the slightest idea what he meant! How in the world did he expect his son to put a giant sled on his head?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Now - next questions:

Do you eat a submarine, a hoagie, or a grinder?

Do you carry a purse or a pocketbook?

When you need lights - do you "turn" them on or "cut" them on?

What time of day is "dinner" ? Is that your noon meal or evening meal ?

Is vinegar for your meats or your vegetables?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmm. With these set of questions, I think my family was a tad "mixed up". lol

We carry purses, but when I was little grandma (and most older ladies I knew) called them pocketbooks.

I've eaten a "sub", Hoagie and a grinder.

We use the term "turn" the lights on and "cut" the lights, as in turn them off.

I don't eat vinegar on anything if I can help it. ewww

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I carry a wallet. (not in a bag, tho, so maybe that doesn't count. It is at least a girlie one this time, tho...used to just carry a mans...)

I got rid of my couch, but I grew up with a davenport. I ate grilled cheese sandwiches, and often went swimming in the crick. Subway sells sandwiches. So do lots of other places. "Sub" is jsut the description of the bread its on. I grew up having dinner at noon. Now that is lunch. The evening meal was supper. Now that is dinner.

Vinegar is used to make pickles, wash peed on clothes, and clean with.

Also, now, I am surrounded by these, but they drive me nuts and I don't use them...but I hear them ALL THE TIME. if you are in an accident and need a ride to the "doctors" (not hospital - doctors)....you ride in a vehicle with a gurney and lights that is pronounced with 2 syllables and no "U"...an amblance. The things that attach to a horse's bridle that you use to "steer" with are called rings (I thought they were reins?) And we're right on the line for using "ya'll" and "ya'uns". Folks south of us say a lot of "yu'uns comin over later?" where folks around us and slightly north say "Ya'll comin over later?"

When you use that tool to put in or take out a screw? In our house, its an oomgada (ooom-god-uh). For whatever reason, that's what exBIL called them as a small child, and to this day, those are oomgadas. Also from the younger generation came the common household lingo of "lellow" (the crayon is lellow), bar-hair-ette (the thing you put in your hair), ay-bane (the thing that flies and carries people), and "heavy me", my very large young nephew's interpretation of English because whenever anyone picked him up, they said "OMG you're heavy!" so instead of carry me, he learned "Heavy me". And Wee's contribution..."Where go at?" and "no more gitty gitty mine chunkers!" (said when brother's tickled him)

Then there was the poor German foreign exchange student who was brought to tears because someone said, as she held the crying baby, that she pinched it.

And the Australian foreign exchange student who asked the teacher for that thing you use to remove pencil marks from paper....? You know, a rubber.

Malika

Children's understanding of language leads to weird and wonderful interpretations. When I was five or six, I remember saying, outraged, in response to my brothers' provocation about my state of cleanliness: "I'm not dirty, I'm FILTHY!" and then reacting with further outrage when they collapsed laughing. I thought "filthy" meant "sparklingly clean"...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh.........I forgot the dinner one.

"Dinner" is served either at noon or in the evening and is defined as the Big meal of the day. Supper is always in the evening. And yes this has always confused the heck out of me. lol

muttmeister

My German grandmother always carried her "pockybook."

Here we eat subs.

We "turn" the lights on and off.

Most people here eat breakfast, dinner, and supper. This may because we are a rural area and farmers still have their big meal (dinner) at noon with a lighter meal at night.

And I eat vinegar on deep fried fish, boiled beans, and salad, and a lot of people here eat it on steamed spinach, which I don't eat in any case.

H

HaoZi

Do you eat a submarine, a hoagie, or a grinder?

I've had subs, hoagies, and po'boys, and I've seen gyros but never had them. I have yet to see a "grinder" but it sounds slightly more obscene than a sub.

Do you carry a purse or a pocketbook?

Purse, pocketbook, handbag... whatever, it's all the same to me.

When you need lights - do you "turn" them on or "cut" them on?

I turn them on and off. Sometimes we cut the lights out.

What time of day is "dinner" ? Is that your noon meal or evening meal ?

Breakfast, lunch, dinner. I grew up with dinner and supper being used interchangeably, but I've never had dinner as a midday meal.

Is vinegar for your meats or your vegetables?

Vinegar is for cleaning my coffee maker. Malt vinegar goes on my fish.

Is there a difference between a comforter and a bedspread?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I started off life calling all forms of sweet, carbonated beverages "coke". As in Co-cola. Pop and soda are interchangeable here in neverland... But, due to my family ALL liking different forms of it, I am specific. Dr Pepper for me, Coke for husband, Sprite or root beer for Jett, and Dew for Onyxx.

The stuff they call Club Soda, aka soda water, is yummy by itself, in my opinion.

And if you want to see me cringe? Mispunctuate you're sentences (ugh!), or say the word "newkyoolahr"... It is NEW-CLEE-ARRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Part of the problem is that my degree is in ENGLISH. As in, not the language - but the utilization thereof.

...FWIW... husband loves to use big words, but he usually uses the wrong ones. He was talking about someone in jail once... Told me he was immolated...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Coyote said Ki-oat-A (A sound) We always said ki-oat. Here they say ki-o-tea. I can live with that one. But the ki-oat-A one drives me crazy. There is no A in that word. Now watch the first one is the right way to say it. lol

Errrrrr.... It's actually pronounced "ko-YOH-tay"... It's Spanish... So none of the above!

And it's a possum. I should know. I have one masquerading as a cat.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I eat subs and gyros... LOL! I'd love a good po' boy.

I say y'all. A LOT.

And a comforter is usually fluffy and down-filled; a bedspread is not for warmth, but for looks, and is usually thin.