Another dentist appointment-ugh!

DammitJanet

I had another appointment today for a supposed cleaning. Ick. It wasnt pleasant. Of course, they read me the riot act (nicely) about not getting regular dental care and not taking good care of my teeth. All of that is true. I told them that they were right and that above all that I also take medications that make my teeth worse plus I suffer from depression so I have huge periods of time where self care is a problem.

So...we discussed my teeth. I have really bad problems. I have lots of caveties that need to be worked on, the tooth I just had pulled and then had the bone ground down, well that still isnt healing. I need more of the bone ground down. Ugh! I may need the tooth right in front of that tooth pulled because of all the injury that has been done. Double ugh! To say that I am freaking out is putting it nicely. I have an appointment for Nov 2nd to get this all started. I am sure I will have the bone grinding done then because no one wants my mouth to be open that much longer. I will be taking Billy with me on that day because I plan to take mega doses of Klonopin before that appointment!

Then we have to do something about planing? I dont even like the sound of that. Im not looking it up because I dont want to know. Im sure if they have to get approval, it isnt good. Once they get all the teeth fixed and clean...and decided on which we can actually keep...then we decide on what we can do as far as plates or partials or whatever. I am promising them that I will keep coming in now. Im just praying that this doesnt hurt too bad.

Yeah I know...in my dreams.

flutterby

Fly away!
Root planing. Eh...you're numb for it. It sounds worse than it is. It didn't do much for me, though.

Sorry you're having to go the rounds. It's so not fun.

witzend

I wasn't numb for root planing. It was miserable. And it wasn't just miserable when they did it, it was miserable afterwards. It took 4 - 5 visits because I was going with the "no-frills/cost less" dental plan. I'll tell you what, that has been 15 years or so ago, and I can count on one hand the number of times I haven't brushed x2 and flossed daily since then. NEVER AGAIN!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Planning? If it's what witz described I'll take dentures, thankyouverymuch!!

My mom had something done with her gums (transplanting?) and also the roots. She still has her own teeth at 72 but she was in agony the months and months it took them to finish.

Nope. Not me. I'm a wuss when it comes to my mouth. Least amt of pain......least amt of work. And I can barely tolerate that.

I can't wait for the lecture when I go in............... Trench mouth. Yup. I do what I can for it.......but no insurance and no cash has dental work on the back burner for now. And I have "issues" about going to the dental college and letting students work in my mouth for even a huge discount.

I can handle student aides, nurses, and the like.........but not dentists!

And I'm hoping I can get new fam doctor to write me a script for klonopin just so I'll make the appointments.

(((hugs)))

tiredmommy

{{{Hugs}}} Janet. I have to get for a root canal & crown. Soon. I was supposed to make the appointment once school started but haven't been able to since Duckie has been so continually sick. You have my sympathies.

flutterby

Fly away!
Well, I'm sure it's absolutely excruciating if you're not numb. :faint: I don't know how you did that, Witz.

I was numb and it was many years ago, but I don't remember anything after other than just feeling a bit bruised.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry Janet. Dental problems are the WORST, in my opinion. Of course I am TERRIFIED of dentists.

I hope it isn't as bad as you think it will be. Take whatever you need to make it bearable.

DammitJanet

Well if they think they are doing anything to my mouth and Im not numb, they are clearly mistaken...lol. Im a very nice person. I dont scream at them. I just shake and grab the arms of the chair but I do that when I am numb! I am definitely gonna have to ask them about this whole planing thing I guess.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Janet... I sympathize... HATE dentist appointments. I have had the same dentist for 21 years - he's awesome.

However... I was very sick as a small child, and the constant vomiting really messed up my tooth enamel. Then of course, it hurt to brush so I did everything I could to get around it.

THEN, I had braces.

Three times.

By the time my current dentist got to me I had a horrible mess.

WARNING - GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION FOLLOWING!

Since then I have had MOST of my teeth root canalled - I actually have fallen asleep during one procedure. I have had them ALL crowned. In fact I have a bridge on the left side, and my front four teeth are one piece backed by steel because the fourth tooth isn't there - except in the crown. I have had three apicoectomies (where they cut open my gums, saw off the root of my tooth and back fill). I have my teeth cleaned twice a year and despise it. I actually got to the point, several years ago, where they had to put me under to do the smallest cavity because they could not use enough Novocaine to numb me - there is a limit medically and I have a pretty high tolerance. Only drug I can stand LOL!

So Janet... I know how it is to let the self care slide... But... Brush. At least once a day. Tooth pain is worse than anything I have ever felt in my LIFE. I'd rather have a migraine and broken leg.

Janet,
I hope the worst thing you will feel will be the needle to numb your mouth. Once this is all over with you'll feel like a new woman, keep your eye on that prize. Each appointment is one closer to the end.

As for me, AAAHH I'm scared, today I took off work to have some surgery thing on 2 wisdom teeth- one on each side. Like you, I'm not looking anything up, I don't want to know! Think of me at 9:40- I'll try to be brave.

klmno

I had the planing done oncee- and I'm like you, I made sure they numbed me first. I have them rub the stuff on my gum to numb the area that is going to get the needle and then, I still can't see the needle going into my mouth or I am out of there. The planing though was not so bad and it did allow me to keep the tooth.