Another diagnosis to add...

Andrea Danielle

Hi there, I took difficult child to an Occupational Therapist (OT) yesterday who works in the Tourette's Syndrome clinic and she confirmed that he also has Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) - a severe case apparently. Now I have a whole bunch more research to do! She also confirmed that I have been doing things right with his clothing. I let him wear long sleeves shirts and long parents all summer long, and I don't force him to wear a winter coat, hat or gloves since it is such a battle. I let him wear a lighter fur lined jacket and bring hats/gloves with us for when he is cold enough to put them on. I also bring blankets if I think he will be too cold. I let him decide when he is cold enough to want more layers.
The school (a behavioural Kindergarten class) difficult child goes to has been fighting us on this one and are criticizing us saying that we are not firm enough with him. They insisted that we bring in a winter coat to keep in the classroom for him to wear for when he goes to recess. He absolutely hates it but is forced to wear it or he doesn't get to go out with his friends for recess. The Occupational Therapist (OT) confirmed that this is wrong to do because they may win the battle in getting him to wear it but that the stress that it causes by being forced to wear it will result in other behavioural problems.
Ahhhh, it is so nice to be validated!
:smile:

Andrea

tiredmommy

Andrea, I'm glad that things are starting to fall into place with difficult child's diagnosis's. You seem a lot less stressed than even a month ago. What sort of treatments will difficult child have to help with the Sensory Integration Disorder (SID)? I'd follow SRL's frequent advice to sit in on as many Occupational Therapist (OT) sessions as possible so you can learn what he needs at home.

SRL

Kids with Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) often will do better with layers than with a winter coat. Mine uses a Land's End hooded sweatshirt and then when it's cold wears a Land's End fleece coat over that.

Land's End and Gymboree (on sale of course) can be a mom's best friend when they have a kid with Sensory Integration Disorder (SID).

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Our difficult child has severe Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) as well, due to the fact that she is SO snesory seeking and basically has sensory modulaton issues, dyspraxia, discrimination etc. she tested out as having issues in all of the sensory areas... some worse than others.

the one thing I have found and read with BiPolar (BP) kids is that Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) tends to cycle as well kind of like a roller coaster, some days it is worse and some hours it is worse, some times better.
The risperdal has decreased difficult child's Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) somewhat.

My 2 bibles are "The out-of-sync Child" Carol Kranowitz & "Sensational Kids" Lucy Miller They are both amazing books and I can not do without either. There is also the out of sync child has fun, which is pretty good, but her websight is good and there are some very good websights.

I have seriously found that Occupational Therapist (OT) has been the best answer for us so far, but that is all we have had. Our Occupational Therapist (OT) is great.
The other thing is that we have really implimented all of the therapies at home...it is hard. But it helps. We bought indoor swings, playmats, huge thera-balls, balance-toys, hippity hops, weighted blankets, sound machines for sleep,head phones, yoga, many other things...

You can pm if you have any other ?'s. Our difficult child has sensitivity to sound, light, touch, fabric, foods ,proprioception issues, balance issues, tracking issues, oral issues, you name it...LOL

And now our easy child is having sensitivity to light and sound...a nd balance issues as well we are going to start her soon, after an evaluation.
Our Occupational Therapist (OT) is coming next week to do a home evaluation so she can really see what we are doing and what we are talking about!!!
Sorry you keep finding out more bad news...
When we got our diagnosis of EVERYTHING I was in shock... we called it the alphabet soup diagnosis. But you will see what is the wost severe as time goes on, for us the Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) and BiPolar (BP) are the main things that encompass all the others...
hang in there.

totoro

Hanna Andersson makes the best clothes as well for Sensory Integration Disorder (SID), we like lands end also. Hannas are a bit pricey but they run good sales on line!!! And they last!!! I have passed all of the clothes down to easy child.

SRL

totoro, you probably already know this but balance issues fall under PT, not Occupational Therapist (OT). The schools don't often volunteer this info. ;-)

totoro

Thanks SRL- We are in private Occupational Therapist (OT). So she is still "teasing out" all of difficult child's actual issues and then we will be prepared... when she enters school in the fall. We have no school interventions at this point. She starts Kindergarten in the fall.
Our Occupational Therapist (OT) is just working on all of the Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) issues right now which some of them are balance, a lot of Occupational Therapist (OT)'s do all of the therapy/treatment for an Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) child due to the fact that most of the time the Occupational Therapist (OT)'s are the only one's who know anything about it. She feels it is all interconnected and can keep tabs on difficult child's progress and she is good and it is one less appointment...
As long as insurance covers it... I am happy.

When I went to PT school I know threy drilled all of the "rules" into our heads but the reality is we did a lot of Occupational Therapist (OT) stuff and they do a lot of PT stuff it is very interconnected especially with Sensory Integration Disorder (SID). It is mostly important for real fine detailed things and a lot of times we worked together. (Taking a shower- getting in is pt, doing the showering is Occupational Therapist (OT), ordering the adaptive equipment...sometimes both. Sometimes we both had to work on the showering.) It ia all blurred together sometimes and sometimes very cut and dry. Different places have different rules as well, regardless of what you are taught in school... ugh