Another diet question

helpmeplease

Okay, I know I have alot of questions, but someone suggested that I try eliminating wheat only. Have any of you had success with that instead of a full gluten free diet? We've started trying to be gluten free but I am still not certain about which ingredients are hidden gluten and I think I sent her to school today with a lunch that has a gluten filler. I know we are safe with fruits, veggies, fish and meat, but she likes processed stuff so we are trying to give her a little of what she wants so that she doesn't completely reject the idea. I'm just wondering if it could be possible that eliminating obvious wheat will be enough. Does that make sense?

Josie

I would go for all gluten. You will make mistakes at first. If you get improvement on all gluten, then you could try adding back in the non-wheat gluten to see if it makes a difference.

Several years ago, I tried to be gluten free to see if it would help with my migraines. I didn't worry about natural flavors, malt, or hidden gluten but I did get rid of the obvious gluten like bread and pasta. I did it for several months and didn't notice anything. When Girl Scout cookie time rolled around, I started eating those and that was the end of my gluten free trial.

Last year, I went completely gluten free. Since easy child was already gluten free, I was able to be extremely strict right from the start. Within 2 days, I knew I did not want to eat gluten ever again. I actually started the diet thinking I would do it around my children and cheat when I went out to eat without them. I feel so much better that I am not even tempted to cheat. I didn't even think I had symptoms from gluten but now that I know what I am like off gluten, I can say I had irritability, brain fog, ADD-like symptoms, fatigue, and depression. Traces of gluten bring that back on for more than 2 weeks.

If you only get rid of wheat, you will not have the chance to see what gluten might be doing to your child.

How about fruit rollups, potato chips, candy for processed food? My kids also take Dora the Explorer cereal to school as a snack and all their friends like it. Some have even started buying it themselves even though these kids are 9 and 11.

TerryJ2

I checked out that link. It's very valuable. Also, discouraging. Gluten is EVERYWHERE. Sort of like the film, The Bodysnatchers.

Josie

I looked at that link also and it is a good one but since the 2006 allergy labeling law, it is much easier to avoid gluten than it used to be when you had to look at those lists.

Now anything with wheat in it has to say so clearly on the label. It might be listed as an ingredient or it might say at the end of the ingredients that wheat is used. If it says wheat, it is obviously not gluten free.

If it doesn't say wheat, then look for rye, oats, or barley. If it has that, it is not gluten free.

Then look for natural flavors, malt, or artificial flavors. Malt is usually made from barley so it is not ok. You can call the company and ask if the item is gluten free if it has natural or artifical flavors. Sometimes those come from barley malt so they are not gluten free.

Some companies like Kraft, Unilever, Sara Lee, and Nestle will clearly list gluten sources so you don't have to call them if they have natural or artificial flavors. Then you just have to watch for wheat, rye, oats, barley or malt on the label. Many other brands turn out to be one of the above companies when you read the label.

Gluten is everywhere but I have found plenty of "normal" products that I can eat. Once you have found food that works for you, it isn't hard. (Until you travel and can't find your own brands, then it is inconvenient again. :nonono:)

Josie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerryJ2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oats?

Really? No way. :frown: </div></div>

Really. The current thinking is that oats themselves are ok but since they are processed and farmed with wheat that they are contaminated with gluten.

You can get special gluten free oats that are farmed/processed completely separately but oats as an ingredient would not be gluten free. There was a test of some of the major brands of oatmeal which showed unacceptable amounts of gluten in them. I ordered the gluten free oats online but I have seen them in the health store, too.