Another dog question

mstang67chic

Going Green
Is there anything you or family members do that freaks your dog(s) out? I'm not talking out of the ordinary here....just normal, typical day-to-day stuff.

An example. Last night I was chewing bubble gum and Chester was next to me. I blew a bubble and scared the carp out of him!!! I didn't even pop it...never got the chance. He saw the bubble, his eyes got wide and he jumped backwards with his head cocked and then took off. Of course I was laughing so hard I almost choked on the gum.

So now I'm curious. Any normal things that really freak your pets out?

Lothlorien

That's hysterical! My dog doesn't have any quirky things like that, but we had an Alaskan Sled dog that used to get very upset if you had the hiccups.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Not my dog, but I was visiting a friend of mine who has a sweet little Shih Tzu.

I wear an upper plate (have no upper teeth). We were crunching away on popcorn and I got some of it stuck under the plate.

This is the sort of thing where if you have Sensory Integration Disorder (SID), you MUST deal with it immediately.

Being as my friend and I are BFF, I just popped out the denture. The poor dog was sitting on a nearby hassock and backed up until she fell off the far end.

Poor thing had never seen a human take out their teeth before! Her eyes were bugging out of her head and she's pretty buggy-eyed to start with.

donna723

Ragan, my oldest Boston, absolutely freaks when she sees an umbrella! If you push the button and it pops open, she just totally loses it! They used to not bother her as long as they were closed but now she knows they can pop open when she least expects it so she doesn't want them anywhere near her! It doesn't help that my son once chased her through the house popping the umbrella open so that it bumped her on the butt each time it opened!

She is also terrified of clowns and guys in Shriners hats ... long story, but suffice it to say that she is now confined to the house on the days when they have their fund raisers and whenever there is a parade!

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Betsy does not like any member of her family to wear a ball cap. She freaks, barks, backs up and won't be petted.

Have no clue why. She was born and raised in this house, so it's nothing anyone else did. Other hats don't seem to bother her either. Just ball caps. lol

susiestar

Roll With It
I have only had 4 dogs in my life. The one I had the longest, a black half Irish setter half labrador retriever (both papered), would FREAK if she saw 2 adults dancing close. Or if we had a long hug, or several people hugging.

She actually would try to grab your arm or leg to move you apart (she had a soft mouth and we NEVER felt her teeth during this) and force herself between you.

Sadly this all started because my brother used to attack me. Friday was mostly his dog, but she hated yelling and violence. gfgbro would grab me, get about 2 inches away and start screaming in my face. After she saw this a time or two she started freaking. She wouldn't bite but would growl and bark and try to pry us apart.

My parents never figured it out. Even when I told them. But even my mom and dad couldn't dance close if she was inside.

Otherwise almost nothing bothered her. She would even let the squirrels and birds eat out of her dish (she was mostly an outside dog) before she ate.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well not to be crude - but if DF passes gas? All the dogs will look at each other then shoot out the dog door. difficult child used to think it was because it rumbled so much it sounded like the Harley being stolen out of the garage and that's why they left.

I think they saw the Pink Panther and saw the scene where the old lady passes wind and the Great Dane runs out of the room. The butler turns to inspector Clouseau and says "Every time Madame X cuts wind we beat the dog."

Come to think of it when there is a rumble in the den? WE ALL leave. I just can't fit through the dog door.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
OMG, these stories are just so funny.

Sophie freaks if there is a balloon in the house. So birthdays and other celebratory events can be tricky when Sophie is around. She just goes ballistic if the balloon moves at all. If we bring it down to her to sniff, in the hopes she will get over it, she backs away as if it's going to bite her. She's odd. Also, she hates brown or black labs. Other dogs, not such a big deal, but dark labs and forget it.

Nala gets freaked by the usual thunder/lightening stuff.

Izzy is freaked when I do the dishes. If I'm washing pots and pans, she hovers at the doorway, ready to skid off any moment.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Some of these stories are too funny!

A less funny one, my dog was a "rescue" and I think abused as a puppy. He is terrified of cardboard. And it's easy to forget....

So every time a package is delivered to the house, or you buy something that comes in a box, or a child receives a birthday present--if you're not careful with how you handle the packaging, you scare the be-jeezes out of him. It's kind of sad.

--DaisyF

DammitJanet

I used to have this great big old rottie who adored those little stuffed animals you got in those claw machines. Tony was great at getting them and always brought her home a new "baby". Well one year Jamie wanted a Tickle Me Elmo for Christmas but he was really too old for it (he was like 12) so I got him a smaller Tickle Me Cookie Monster. This was when they first came out and he just had to have one...lol. Well Heidi, the dog, saw this stuffed toy on the floor and thought it was a baby for her. She went to pick it up in her mouth and the thing started talking and giggling and moving and she dropped that thing and bolted for my bed like the toy was ALIVE! She pawed it a time or two again and when it moved...she never touched another stuffed animal again. Poor dear...she lost all babies.

Lothlorien

Janet, that is funny!

I did think of something my current dog used to go nuts over. When Missy was little, she got one of those pull-along Beagle puppies on wheels. My dog would bark at it. Then one night, my sister in law was watching Missy while we were out and she was teasing the dog with it. She was pretending to pet and love this "dog" and my dog went absolutely bonkers with jealousy. Missy could never play with it afterward and eventully took it to in-laws so she could play with it there. Everytime we took the thing out, she went bizerk!

KTMom91

Bud has issues when Hubby leans over to kiss me (when I'm sitting on the couch). Bud gets between us and bites at Hubby's mustache. He also gets extremely upset when he thinks family members are fighting. He jumps in the middle and starts snapping away. No slap fights or tickle games around here! Someone's gonna get bit.

But then, he's a Jack Russell. Jacks are neurotic. But so much fun!