Another fun thread....

AppleCori

So, I saw this somewhere and it looked like fun.

What actor/character are you most like? This could be life circumstance, personality, looks, whatever strikes a chord...

And then, what actor/character would you want to be?

I feel like Dorthy from the Wizard of Oz...so many things to do, no idea how to start.

I would like to be Samantha from that old TV show, Bewitched. You know, she would just wiggle her nose and things would get done? I wish I had that power today!

How about you?

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Claire Belcher from Steel Magnolias (Olympia Dukakis) - wild sense of humor

I want to be Wonder Woman. I think her truth lasso would be quite useful :laugh:

Lil

Okay...showing my sitcom years here, I don't really watch them anymore, but I'm probably like Dorothy from The Golden Girls, just a little younger. But I'd like to be Julia from Designing Women.

Copabanana

I am Sally Bowles, the character played by Liza Minelli in Cabaret.

Here is something that I lifted from an article about the character of Sally Bowles.

"Sally Bowles isn't just a complicated character, in all her craving for attention and validation and love and security while not knowing how to tell any of it apart from the other. She's a hot mess of a role to play."

Who I would want to be: Lady Gaga.

She knows who she is and where she wants to go. She goes with confidence, integrity, verve and creativity. She seems to be true to herself. She has a life of self-creation, self-display, and voice. She seems to be truly manifesting herself and building a life which is unique and meaningful.

Lady Gaga has the same self-expression of Sally Bowles but she is in control. She may seek the same validation, love and security, but she seems to be able to exercise the discernment to choose just what fits and what does not, and go after it. She seems conscious and to respond and act upon the life events which she encounters.

Sixty years or more have passed since Christopher Isherwood created the Sally Bowles character and in those years the potential for women's lives has changed in some ways, and in others, not. I am wondering if Lady Gaga was possible in Weimar Germany or anywhere, at that time.

Maybe so. There were women in the 19th and 20th centuries such as George Sand, Marlene Dietrich maybe, who did live lives they constructed. But Gaga I love.

These earlier women do not incorporate, from my way of thinking, Gaga's vulnerability. She demands to be seen, heard, powerful, vulnerable and in control. I love that.

BusynMember

Cripes. I cant think of anyone Id like to be like!!! And cant think of any that remind me of me.

My once BFF who is an angel now used to totally relate to Roseanne! She was a bigger woman and had the same attitude. People used to affectionately call her Roseanne :)

KTMom91

I'm like Alex Dunphy on Modern Family - reading, studying, taking care of business with a touch of sarcasm...yeah.

I'd like to be Nancy Drew. The old school one, from the blue covered books from the 50's (or the 30's - my grail books). Lots of excitement, going places, figuring things out, solving problems. and helping people. Definitely not a typical teenager of her time, especially when you consider she was 16 in the earlier books, and 18 in the yellow covered ones from the 70's. Yes, I'm a huge fan.

Pink Elephant

What actor/character are you most like? Endora (Agnes Moorehead), from the original Bewitched series, and I do mean to a T! Personality, looks (same no-nonsense appearance), similar hair style, same hair colour.

what actor/character would you want to be? Hmmm... never really thought about that before. None, really, but Barbara Hale, from Perry Mason, because that's who I resemble.

Copabanana

Della. That was her name. Not low key, but subtly beautiful. And Endora? Brassily beautiful. Which is it, Old-hand? I loved your post! This thread is like a Rorshach test.

Pink Elephant

I just googled her (Endora)! Do you have the green eye shadow too?

I am perplexed, because Barbara Hale (was her name Stella? I forget) was low-key! Let me google her right now.
LOL! No green eye-shadow, but identical personality wise. As far as Barbara Hale went, she, too, was a no-nonsense type person, so I though she fit the bill well.

Copabanana

Old-hand. Look at the hair color and style, in those pictures of Endora. Contrasted with Della. Is it Della Street? I think so. Do you have the red? I love it.

I get the no-nonsense. But the brass and the sass? That is what I am asking about. Della had the sass...but not the brass.

Pink Elephant

Della. That was her name. Not low key, but subtly beautiful. And Endora? Brassily beautiful. Which is it, Old-hand? I loved your post! This thread is like a Rorshach test.
LOL! Yes, I am pretty, but it's the reserved nature of the two in addition to how mature they were. They carried themselves like real women. Also, I have long finger nails (like Endora), so that, too, makes me feel she makes for a good match.

Pink Elephant

Old-hand. Look at the hair color and style, in those pictures of Endora. Contrasted with Della. Is it Della Street? I think so. Do you have the red? I love it.

I get the no-nonsense. But the brass and the sass? That is what I am asking about. Della had the sass...but not the brass.
Hi, Copabanana (love that monker by the way)! Absolutely, hair colour the same as Endora's (not dark like Della Streets), and all the sass of Endora. I also love to dress nicely (always), and that definitely fits in with both women. Love my dress slacks!

Pink Elephant

It's funny you mention the brass and sass thing, Copa, because I thinking back on it, I tend to think Della, had the brass, while Endora, had the sass. Just my way of thinking of course. :)

Copabanana

Old-hand. Have you read the beginning of the thread? Maude has already been here. Lil was Maude but wanting to be Julia on Designing Women.

Isn't it funny how Maude made such an imprint on our lives as women? I am older than Lil. In relation to you, I don't know. Unless you watch a lot of re-runs you can't be a spring chicken.

What is it about Maude, that she became such an icon to women? I have read that she was quite esteemed by gay men, but it seems she touched women too.

OK. Back to Della and Agnes. The brass I refer to is like "brassy," in the sense of tough or rough or vulgar--maybe even a class distinction or more, the sense of being sexualized. Like in my youth a so-called "bad' girl would be thought of in this way. There was the cultivation of a little too much-ness, kind of like what more contemporary young (and older) women strive for with nose rings, or tattoos, or pink hair or combat boots (which I have!)

Nobody has commented on my alter-ego which I decided was Sally Bowles from Cabaret. And my want-to-be who is Lady Gaga. Who knew I had these identifications until this thread!

I can "see you" and Della as "no nonsense." And I can imagine the reserve. But I do not see Della as reserved. Self-confident, yes. In command, yes. Self-possessed, yes. Sexy, in the most self-confident, deliberate and self-contained way, yes.

I did not much like the show Bewitched so I know Agnes Moorehead through her movies in which she seemed to always play herself, a kind of hard-boiled, sarcastic Maude-type character. I think I read that Maude in real life (Bea Arthur) was NOTHING like the role. (It was the voice.) But I bet Agnes Moorehead in real life was Maude.

When you describe dressing well, I can see it. But in a different way than as typical. I see you "composing yourself, your image" kind of as a composition, a theatre of self-presentation, rather than in any way as creating an impression or a need to impress.

Later I will try to ask you about a dilemma that I am facing about exactly this. I will try to get back to you because I find your posts interesting and thought-provoking. Thank you.