Another House Rollercoaster Ride Commences Today...sigh!

tiredmommy

We almost lost our new home the day before closing because, as it turns out, the sellers were upside down by $4K with the selling price and facing foreclosure. BOA tried to threaten to ax the sale unless we made up the difference. We refused so the bank and both realtors ate the loss. My husband is a bank employee and it still took almost 3 months to close. The mortgage market is a mess right now.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I have a friend who is an attorney in FL and BoA is one of the banks she's after like a bulldog for wrongful foreclosures.

DammitJanet

DDD, that is why I NEVER refer to Tony as my husband. Notice my signature. I used to have SO in there. Now its Partner. I sometimes say boyfriend or my kids father. Social security knows we live together and they know we have lived together for almost 30 years. So does Medicaid. It is the same reason many elderly people dont marry after they retire because they get more as individuals with their own retirement accounts than they would if they married and combined them. Then they would only get the head of households amount and a spousal amount which is about half the heads. Normally not as much as the two apart.

The closest Tony gets to calling us married is referring to me as his "old lady" and I give him heck about that. He does it jokingly because Im 9 months older than him so he has referred to me as being older than him forever.

I go to a ton of doctors and such places and have to explain living situations and I never say I am married. I am always divorced and live with a significant other who is the father of my youngest two sons. Sometimes people do a double take when they hear the ages of the kids but no one really questions me. If they seem a bit iffy, I just say I did marriage once and it was so bad I would never do it again.

Kathy813

Staff member
We have been trying to sell my mother's doublewide for four years now. She died just as the market crashed and it was a 30-year-old trailer. She did own the land it was on but it is a lot in a senior park which limits its marketability.

My brother has been renting it out for the winters but we are still losing money due to the monthly park fees and upkeep. I'm ready to give the stupid thing away.

~Kathy

DDD

Real estate is crazy recently. Sorry, Kathy. Janet I had a discussion (very brief) about the reason to live together and not marry or describe yourself as married. He responded "girlfriend looked it up on the internet and it does not make a difference unless she, too, is collecting SS." He also confidently told me that he is going to marry her sometime in the next year or two. SIGH!

So I used the net to see and this is what it "appeared" to say. If you collect SSDI it doesn't impact you. If you collect SSI there is a big formula involved in seeing how much you lose if you marry. His SSDI is the bigger check he gets each month...just under $500/ The SSI check is under $300. I don't know which determines that he gets Medicare and Medicaid which is hugely important to me. Guess I'll have to do more research but today it was interesting to find that girlfriend was at least partically right.

PRAY PEOPLE.........that a miracle happens tomorrow. I'm tired of this. :) DDD

DammitJanet

He is somewhat right but he would also lose medicaid if he married. I cant afford to lose Medicaid. I would end up with so little in cash it would hardly be worth the check by the time I paid the premiums, the copay's, the medications when I hit the donut hole, the entire thing that medicaid picks for me.

DDD

He has both Medicaid and Medicare the way it is now which is a huge blessing. He has a little copay for Rx's. on the other hand in one of the zillion papers I have received describing his benefits in one place it stipulates he will have no copay. Really the entire set up is complex...and then I receive letters noting changes. My next trip to SS will be when (and if) I have a signed contract for his home. It will take two to three weeks max to get his final back payment so we can close and then that will all go to the house. I'll be expecting to spend three or four hours there reviewing all the stuff that appears to be contradictory. Sigh! DDD

DammitJanet

DDD....you need a college degree in Social Security and medicare to figure this stuff out...lol.

When I just had to fill out all this paperwork for Buck, I told Tony I wasnt going to continue doing all the rest of it. It was a complete nightmare to do it all for me. I know it too me hours and hours just to get all my stuff done and I knew my information. I have no clue about his. After this, Im sending him down to legal aid to have them help him.

As it stands now, he got all the stuff needed to have me send off for his birth certificate about a week and a half ago and I still havent done it. I think I am going to hand the form back to him and tell him to fill in the form and I will send it in. I am tired of filling out forms for him. My hands hurt when I write with a pen. I can type but holding a pen its hard for me and they had me fill out all the paperwork for disability.

DDD,

Just reading about all you've been through is totally exhausting! I need another cup of caffeine! If you don't hear anything today, even in this cold, snowy weather, I'm going outside and doing the nekkid chicken dance for you, lol...!!

For now, keeping all body parts crossed, praying you have good news today...!! SFR

DDD

No, Searching, don't get pneumonia for me....please. Plus they might take your picture and publish it in the local news paper. Stay dressed. Stay warm. Drink Coffee.

We got NO word yesterday, by the way. Still hoping there is one bank with brains in Florida. Sigh. DDD