Another IEP this morning....

SaraT

wish me luck.

The school still hasn't gotten the fact that difficult child will never be like other kids. The advocate is coming with me, and I am going to let her do most of the talking. Maybe they will listen to her more than they have me.

SaraT

Well, I am in shock:faint:. The school did exactly what the advocate and I said. The assistant principal even put out some good ideas, instead of just shooting ours down. They even agreed to a new FBA with no argument. They even came up with a new math class for all students that do ok, but not great, in pre-algebra, and maybe aren't ready for algebra. They call it pre-algebra 2, and is a step up, not a repeat of pre-algebra. A perfect solution for Little B. I couldn't believe it, the school was THINKING. They even agreed to change the eligability to Autism, again with no argument.:holymoly::surprise:

The Autism team leader was there, and was wonderful. She wrote the social skills goals and interventions, and they were correct the first time. She also had a whole packet of stuff on Autism Disorders for me, with a list of summer camps.

We are reconvening in May to go over new FBA, finish BIP, and finalize class placement for next year. I will take the advocate again, but we seemed to mostly be on the same page for these issues.

For the first time in 2 1/2 yrs I left an IEP meeting with some hope.:bigsmile:

Martie

Sara,

I am so glad this went well. For some reason, SD are often much more cooperative with an advocate present. It is odd because lot of parents on this board know as much as their advocate, but the SD does not recognize the parents' knowledge.

Another thing that may be going on with an advocate's presence is the thought that the SD should head off Due Process. I have no evidence to back this up, but it seems obvious that some SD wish to avoid DP and others are spoiling for a fight.

Martie