Another Kanga incident

JJJ

Today was the spring picnic at the Residential Treatment Center (RTC). Apparently Kanga engaged in 'inappropriate boundaries with a male peer'. It appears just to be an inappropriate conversation but I'm not sure as the staff who called only took over when Kanga was taken from the picnic and turned over to this staff in the unit. (I'll get the full details on Monday.)

Kanga did what Kanga does, threw a fit, tried to run, got restrained, tried to hit/kick/bite staff; calmed down and played the I'm-so-sorry-its-not-my-fault-I-lost-control card. Major program infraction = 72 hours within arms-reach of staff. This Residential Treatment Center (RTC) doesn't use levels so there is no level-drop.

I cannot believe how calm I am. The fact that her goal is now independence makes all of this totally about her and not a fear for our safety.

As she continues to do this, I have little hope the child will stay out of jail as an adult.

Jena

i'm so sorry.... it's so hard to hear these things when the child isn't with you. my easy child/difficult child is teaching me that the hard way. you are so calm because you've grown so incredibly strong through the years.

dont' project, you just never know.... yes it's bad news and all. yet often as you and i know when goals are set and something like that often kids get worse before they get better.

hang in there

(((hugs)))

H

HaoZi

*hugs* J. How do you feel about how this new Residential Treatment Center (RTC) handled it?

susiestar

Roll With It
Hugs. So far at least it sounds like they are responding well. They didn't give her a warning, or a next time we will do this kind of lecture. I hoep that when she is an adult you can get her settled into some town that is not near you.

I do not think that your opinion that she will not stay out of jail as an adult is unfounded or projecting. It is simply what seems like a rational expectation given her consistent behavior that has not changed even after more than a decade of therapy and help. I am so sorry.

Wiped Out

Staff member
JJJ,
I am glad you are handling this so calmly. I agree with Susie that it seems like the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) handled things well. (((hugs)))

JJJ

Residential Treatment Center (RTC) seemed to handle it well. I'm interested to see how they address this in her therapy, etc.

M

ML

My gosh you sure have had a very difficult journey with her. I'm glad to hear you are at a place of detachment and peace. I'm sorry things couldn't have turned out differently for her but her issues were bigger than anyone could have managed. I know did the best you could. Big hugs.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Once again, your tenacity and commitment to this child
Impresses me.

My only hope, at this point, is for her to someday, some way, realize what you have done for her, simply by still being there...

Hugs.