Another kitty cat dilemma

Californiablonde

So I have two cats who are both indoors. At least they are supposed to be indoor cats, but my older cat Lily isn't having any of it. She desperately wants to be outside. She obsessively sits on the windowsill and meows constantly. Whenever one of us goes outdoors she cries loud and she is obnxious. What's worse is she has busted out our screen doors three times since we have moved into our apartment. Just last night she busted through our bedroom screen, and my boyfriend found her roaming around outside when he left for work in the morning. She wants so badly to be outdoors, but I have several reasons why I don't want her to be.

For one thing we live in California, where it is warm the majority of the time, so we have a real battle with fleas. Lily especially is prone to nast skin infections when she gets fleas. Of course I buy Advantage to try and help the flea situation, but more often than not it gets bad in the summer and I am taking Lily to the vet for steroid shots and antibiotics. I don't want my cats outdoors where they can track in more fleas. Another reason is I want my kitties strictly indoors is I am afraid of either one of them getting hit by a car. Our apartment complex is huge. We have 562 units. Our apartment is right on the roadiside, and there is a huge amount of traffic going in and out of the complex. The chance of one of my cats getting hit by a car is pretty big. I have already lost one cat due to getting run over, and I don't want to lose another.

I am also afraid of Lily wandering off and getting lost or stolen. Of course if I do let her out I will get her a tag and collar, but that doesn't mean somebody couldn't just take her in. So what do you all think? Do you think my reasons are valid to keep Lily an indoor kitty even though she hates it? Or should I just give up, get her a collar, and let her roam free and happy outside?

dstc_99

I think your reasons are legitimate. You aren't harming her so you shouldn't feel bad. We have actually purchased extra screens before and put them up in front of the other screens (on the inside of the window). It makes it hard to push them both out and it doesn't damage anything or look bad.

Californiablonde

I will try an extra screen. Right now we are all smothering in the heat trying to sleep at night with the window closed. A couple of other ladies in my cat group suggested taking her out for walks on a leash, too. That sounds like a great idea, and maybe Mandy will even enjoy it. I will see about getting a least this weekend.

cubsgirl

I have a cat who was always trying to get out our apartment door when we brought in groceries, etc. So I got her up-to-date on vaccinations, bought a harness, bought a leash and tried to take her for a walk to see if it would curb her wandering desires. We got two feet from the front door and she was meowing to go back inside. We haven't had as many problems since. Cats are so hard to figure out!