Another letter from jail.................

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
We have not had a letter from our son for a few months. No big surprise. I sent him a Christmas card and a birthday card a couple of weeks ago, he is now 36.
We received a letter from his yesterday. The tone was much better than the last few we have received. He said he has a job earning $5.00 a week teaching others how to play the guitar. He said he's saving his money for when he gets released. I'm really glad that we have not sent him any money, he's earning it for himself. He also said that he wants to put his energy into his arts. He's very talented and I have no doubt he could make a living at it. He thanked us for the strong work ethic that we have demonstrated. He says that he knows he can't go back to drinking and smoking pot. He says he will stay focused on his goals.

It was a very nice letter. I read it with guarded optimism. I've heard the same thing from him so many times before. Only time will tell.

Heavy sigh..........:sigh:

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Tanya

How wonderful that you received a positive letter from your son. I think it's good that you didn't rush to contact him too.

You just have to keep the faith that something will click with him and maybe he will really decide he wants to change his life once and for all.

I'm also hoping that for our son. I realize that WE cannot keep him sober. Our love cannot keep him sober either. He has to want it more than we have wanted it for him all these years.

Hugs.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I realize that WE cannot keep him sober. Our love cannot keep him sober either. He has to want it more than we have wanted it for him all these years.
So very true!
I'm hoping that while my son has been in prison his mind is clearing from the drugs and alcohol. I really do hope he's realizing that he's not getting any younger and needs to make some changes.

Even though people say I look good in blue, I'm not holding my breath on this one. :confused::cool:

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
The last time we visited our son, earlier this month, he said that he has been in a fog and he feels he's coming out of it.

He also said that he owes a lot of people apologies.

He has never said either.

He wrote us a beautiful letter a month or so ago and addressed all my concerns. A letter I could only DREAM of getting. He has never done this before either.

I want to be hopeful but it's very hard to do. We've been so hurt by him and he has broken our hearts to the very core; but there is still so much love.

I know you've been doing this for many more years than me and I'm on year 7. No matter what they do we will love them and hope and pray that they can learn to love themselves and live a life that they can be proud of.

Lost in sadness

Tanya, this sounds like really positive news. I agree it’s hard to get hopeful after so much let down. 36! You have been at this a long time...I pray you get some peace and happiness finally and that your son gets to discover himself and becomes the man he is destined to be. Xx

newstart

Tanya, A nice letter that tells you he is moving forward is always nice. Maybe at age 36 he will realize he is near 40 and hopefully that will be a turning point for him. I hope he throws himself so deeply into his arts that there will not be time for all that other toxic stuff.
I pray that during this last prison stay that something has kicked into his brain and he can do something positive with his life.
There are many people that have turned their lives around I just hope your son is one of them. I hope your son can find the right job where he can grow and earn money and do what he loves to do.

My grandfather was an artist. He made a fabulous salary. My grandmother and mother had a comfortable lifestyle.
I know that if you are really talented, and your son sounds like he is, he can make a good salary. Wishing the best for your son's journey.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Tanya brief because I am exhausted. I am following more than I post. So encouraging and I really felt your sigh. Cautious optimism is a good place to be. Embrace the letter. And how nice that he has music, what a talent.

I tied to learn how to play the guitar. It didn’t go well too dyslexic lol.

SeekingStrength

I'm hoping that while my son has been in prison his mind is clearing from the drugs and alcohol. I really do hope he's realizing that he's not getting any younger and needs to make some changes.

Tanya,

Your news of the letter from your son was a happy moment in my day. I just re-read this thread, to feel the hope again.. It is encouraging. I am certainly rooting for him.....and you.