Another overdose, in ICU again

comatheart

My son's roommates called 911 Sunday morning. He was out of his mind in full blown psychosis. He was also complaining of leg pain. Initially the ER thought he was just crazy. The leg pain had them running a full work up though.

To make a very long story short....he took something Friday night. OD and lay in bed all day Sat. (according to the roommates) He developed Rhabdomyalasis and now his kidneys have shut down. They started him on dialysis today. He cannot move or even feel one of his legs. He did some major damage and has a very long recovery ahead of himself. The kidneys may or may not start working again. We hope so and the dialysis will only be temporary.

He was in Psychosis for 3 days, so we lean toward it being a synthetic drug. The doctors do as well. He's not saying what he took. Claims he just had a couple drinks and smoked weed. Maybe a box or 2 of dxm. I feel he is lying and knows exactly what he took.

He came clean and said he's been using dxm since 2 weeks out of his last rehab!!

I'm just so tired.

Origami

So sorry to hear this. The part about the kidneys sounds very serious, but it sounds like he's getting excellent care. Prayers for a full recovery and some peace in your life.

Hope_Floats

Oh I'm so sorry! My son was into that stuff too. DXM is so scary. It can cause temporary psychosis, and taking the cough medicines that also contain acetaminophen can cause acute or chronic liver failure. So maybe he's telling the truth about what he took. No matter though, really. Doesn't change the tragedy one way or the other.

Hugs for your hurting heart.

lovemysons

I had to get out of bed and come post to you as I wanted you to know how very very sorry I am to read this. Also wanted you to know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your son. It seems like just the other day your son was headed to the same rehab mine both went to...again I am so sorry. It's such a long exhausting road isn't it.

My heart goes out to you,
please keep us posted.
love,
LMS

toughlovin

Oh gosh I am so so sorry you are going through this....it is so scary that they take over the counter stuff with no idea of the consequences, my son also did dxm. Another OTC medication that causes psychosis is benedryl. My son overdosed on that and we called an ambulance because even though he was calm and mellow he was talking very crazy. He ended up in a psychiatric unit for several days. He told me later that it was kind of scary because he was hallucinating but didn't know that was happening,,,,unlike lsd when he knew he was hallucinating.

I just hope that at some point your difficult child gets scared enough to make use of the help he is offered.

Hugs,

TL

2much2recover

I didn't even know that kids were using this to get high, had to Google it. Wow, I am so sorry that your son has put himself in this situation. My prayers are that his body is able to return to normal and it scares the holy crap out of him so he never touches another drug! As for you, you have my deepest sympathies for having to go through this nightmare.

S

Signorina

Love and hugs to you- please take care of yourself and know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kathy813

Staff member
Oh, comaheart, it just never ends. The roller coaster is so exhausting. I am so sorry that you are going through this again. I am glad that he is getting good medical care and hope that his kidneys are not permanently damaged.

Remember to take care of yourself. Unrelenting stress from a difficult child can really take a toll on your health.

~Kathy

Scent of Cedar *

Oh, no.

There was a mom here once who described her life, her true inner heart, the one she would never expose, as the buried and locked away painting, "The Scream."

I have never forgotten that.

There are times when I have been able to take strength from knowing someone knew how I felt.

The river scene near the end of the movie Apocalypse Now is my own imagery. Referring back to it somehow lets me function sanely in the outer world where people smile and interact with one another so pleasantly.

I am sorry this is happening.

Cedar

Nancy

I don't even know what to say except like everyone else I am so terribly sorry and my thoughts and prayers go to you and your family.

comatheart

Thank you a for your kind words.

I'm living in some kind of nightmare. I am walking and functioning on the outside. Inside im beginning to crumble.

I know deep down we will bury my son to this disease. So close to losing him roughly 6 months apart- there is no other conclusion I can wrap my realist mind around.

Everyone keeps telling me to remain hopeful. Right now that's almost a joke. My son has done so much destruction to his body and yet he thinks it's no big deal and doesnt need any help. I have have very real thought of headstones, obituaries and funeral music. No mother should have these thoughts about their 19yr old!!!

It does give me great strength In knowing there are others who know how I feel. That's why you all mean so much to me.

Lil

I'm so sorry. All I can do is offer my prayers. You're right of course, you shouldn't be going through this. No parent should go through any of this. :grouphug: