Another reason to check your phone bill carefully

graceupongrace

Here's something to watch out for: third-party services charged to your telephone without your consent. I've had this happen twice now.

Today I noticed that the bill for my land line was higher than normal, which was odd since I rely on my cell and barely use the house phone. When I looked at the billing detail, there was a third-party charge for a $14.99 monthly subscription to a music/ringtone service that I've never even heard of. I called the number on the bill, and they said the service was ordered by S, whose name I recognized as the person who had the landline number before I did (I've received many calls for her). The customer service rep was very nice about removing the charges.

The other time it happened, difficult child was responsible. He ordered a subscription to an online gaming service, and it was nearly impossible to get it canceled. I ended up eating some of the charges.

It troubles me that people can just charge things to your telephone number without your authorization. They apparently don't need to specify a customer code, last 4 digits of the SSN, or anything else. Yikes!

:mad: