Another retro thread: What did you use that your kids/grandkids will never use?

BusynMember

I loved the smell of paper just fresh off of, what we called, the ditto machine (teacher made copies that we called dittoes). I wonder if I ever got high from that smell...lol.

AM radio for all the greatest hits. There was no FM. Gosh, I'm old...lolol! I remember when FM started :)

No special education. heck, no ADHD...it was called hyperactivity and rarely diagnosed. Kids like me fell by the wayside and the kids called me "stupid."

Teachers allowed to taunt kids with verbal AND physical abuse.

Girls had to wear skirts to school. That all changed while I was in high school. Go Babyboomers!!!!!

I don't know if our grandchildren or great-grandchildren will ever hold a paperback book. Those are also on the way out. Ditto for newspapers.

On a sad note, our grandkids will never know a United States with no threat of terrorism.

I doubt if they'll ever know a hippie. A REAL HIPPIE. I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I really didn't like them...lol :)

DDD

Thinking of the stockings etc. made me remember "The Merry Widows" that we wore under ball gowns. Yikes they made you feel like you were going to Tara with Scarlett. :flirtysmile3: I imagine Victoria's Secret still sells those things but instead of "sexy" that was what "young ladies wore to look their best" and girls without them were considered to be "sexier" because when you danced the boys hand on your back was closer in contact with SKIN! LOL DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
My 14-y/o niece said yesterday she didn't like her kindle, she's old-fashioned and prefers paper...

donna723

MWM, we had to wear skirts and dresses to school too. I think it changed the year after I graduated. It wasn't too bad in high school because we lived in Florida. But we lived in St. Louis when I was younger and we darned near froze our hineys off in the winter! Back then, winter coats for little girls came with a matching pair of "snow pants" that you wore under the coat to keep from freezing.

And as far as "Hippies", that was OUR generation so I am very familiar with it! Of course, I kind of came up through the rock music culture, all my friends were musicians or connected somehow, so everybody I knew looked like that, everybody had the long hair, everybody dressed like that. It started out as some very good, gentle people with very high ideals who had the idea that they could somehow change the world, and in some ways they did. And the world at that time was badly in need of changing. I think that because of the music and the war in Vietnam, our generation bonded more closely with each other and created our own culture, more than any other before or after it. And for a short few years it was a very beautiful thing.

helpangel

the calculator that had all those gears (Babbage's maybe?)

manual water pump & an outhouse (even camping my kids won't go near either LOL)

BusynMember

I graduated high school 1971 and I knew hippies who seemed less motivated to change the world and more interested in using drugs and making trouble. I was against the war, but I didn't think that blocking traffic so that folks couldn't get to work or home was the way to stop it. Nor use possibly getting drafted as a reason to get high. Most of the kids I knew were very rich and went to college so they got deferments anyhow, but they still took drugs to rebel. I think that, just like now, most of the kids were very apolitical and disinterested and were not particularly bonded, except by groups: hippies/greasers (yes, we had them too)/jocks/brains...that was sort of our groups at our school. Lots of fights between hippies and greasers. Once the head hippie tried to lower the American flag and he was immediately met by several tough greasers who didn't let him and all of us were cheering and booing. Ah...those were the days.

Another thing our grandkids/kids won't know that was a great delight to our generation: Very cheap gasoline!!! I remember gas rationing and gas going up to fifty freakin' cents a gallon and all of us thinking that this was so expensive. Then I remember when it hit a dollar and that was the end of the world.

And one last thing our grandkids will probably never see is when most families remained intact rather than divorce and remarriage being the rule.

InsaneCdn

Carburetor's ain't going away, sister. Not as long as there are grease monkeys around.
But... your 'average' person might not drive a car that has one.
<grin>

trinityroyal

Gym bloomers. gymsuit.jpgEven my staid girls' school has updated their gym uniform to shorts and golf shirts now. Mine was the last grade to wear the dreaded gym bloomers, in dill-pickle green.

Console stereos, with a built in turntable and a spot to store your LPs and 45s. Some of my friends had a gramophone and porcelain 78s. Those were a hoot.

Going to the t-shirt store at the mall to have a custom t-shirt made with iron-on letters.

Door-to-door milk delivery. Some of the houses in my neighbourhood still have the little milk doors, although most of them have been sealed.

Dome-style hair dryers that you'd set up on a table, and sit under with your roller-set until your hair was dry. Hair rollers of any sort, for that matter.

Those bouffant bathing caps with the chin strap and big pouffy flowers on the sides.

Afro picks, to get your 'fro nice and lofty. Or to detangle your perm, depending on your hair texture and whatever your hair dresser has done to it.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Those "afro picks" are still around, and great for detangling hair before you switch to the basic wide-toothed comb.
*nod nod*
been there done that

And honey, while I do have Native American blood, I'm so pale I burn just thinking hard about going outside. But I have learned well the value of those combs from friends far darker than me. ;)

nerfherder

Two things nobody mentioned (or maybe I missed.)

WordStar

"You are in a twisty maze of passages, all alike."

(Yes, we played Leisure Suit Larry too. But "Nord and Bert Can't Make Heads or Tails of this!" was a lot more fun, you had to think harder.)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Two things nobody mentioned (or maybe I missed.)

WordStar

"You are in a twisty maze of passages, all alike."

(Yes, we played Leisure Suit Larry too. But "Nord and Bert Can't Make Heads or Tails of this!" was a lot more fun, you had to think harder.)

LOL Nerf...
ZORK and other text-based games

I loved ZORK. Still do actually though I can't beat it like I used to be able to... Been too long! I was really good at beating Zork II.

Heck, something even newer that is now hardly used... DreamWeaver!

Apple IIc and IIe, Atari (2600?) with Combat and Adventure and Space Invaders and Dodge Em...

Dixies_fire

I use a garter belt and have been known on occasion to wear lined stockings. I'm 27. I wear thigh highs because I am a awkward height/weight and I got tired very early on of either walking like a penguin or pulling up panty hose all day. I like the way the lined hose look but they are **** near impossible to get on straight without someone letting you know

trinityroyal

Dixies_fire, I wear garters and stockings too. There is a trick to getting your seams straight. Here's what you do:

1) While standing up, extend one leg back and slightly out to one side, resting on your toe (or the ball of your foot, if that's more comfortable).
2) Looking over your shoulder at the extended leg, extend your arm toward your foot. Arch your back a bit and bend the knee of your front leg, until you can reach your ankle.
3) Glide your fingers up the stocking seam, straightening as you go.
4) Repeat the process on the opposite side for the other leg. Voila! You're done.