Another ride on the Tilt-a-Whirl. Sigh...

InsaneCdn

So, if he were a ward of the state - if for example he had gone into the foster system at a young age and "aged out" - what services would he get?

trinityroyal

Pretty much the services he's getting now. Basic disability benefit, some medications and dental coverage. Access to the same doctors that he has now.

Trinity - It really sounds like you are doing and have done everything that you can. Continuing to make waves will certainly help but change is very slow in the government.

I'm glad difficult child is back on his medications and that he behaved after the warning last weekend.

It is so frustrating to feel like we are getting the run around when it comes to health services in this province. The wait times are horrendous and it can draw out for years sometimes.

I don't have any info or help to offer except that you might want to look into getting your difficult child a trustee - someone else to handle his money for him. My uncle and his wife are both on disability for mental health reasons and they have a trustee that takes care of their money for them. That way their bills get paid and their medication gets paid for as well. Or does the assisted living do that for him?

I really don't understand why there are so many restrictions on medications. If the doctor deems a specific medication for a mental health patient necessary then it should be covered under their program. That is another ridiculous bit of red tape.

trinityroyal

WTWE, thanks for the input about the trustee.

We have made provisions for a trustee for difficult child after husband and I die, but I hadn't thought about appointing one now. Currently husband is handling things for difficult child, who still doesn't seem to have the foggiest understanding of money and its value. $5, $50 or $5000, it's all the same to him.