Another school shooting

Kathy813

Staff member
When is this country ever going to do something about this? This is the 74th school shooting in the 18 months since Sandy Hook. Does there have to be one every day until we as a people will say enough is enough?

I am disgusted to see people shrug their shoulders and say that there is nothing that can be done.

~Kathy

BusynMember

Nothing will happen. You know why. It would require we do something about guns. As long as anyone can get one, the mentally ill who are angry and revengeful will get them and use them. This kind of mass killing doesn't happen anywhere else and I stopped caring because it seems like most of the country doesn't care. I mean, I care...but I know that thinking about it is useless. It's one of those things I can't control.

muttmeister

This is what we have come to in this country. The gun nuts (I own a gun but I do not believe that regulating them infringes on my rights in any way - it is common sense) believe that their right to own a gun is more important than the safety of our kids. A large majority of people want action but as long as we keep voting for people who have been bought and paid for by the gun lobby, nothing will change. We will have another shooting soon; and another, and another, and another, and so on. Get used to it.

Kathy813

Staff member
I know, MWM, but it is so frustrating. Kids and teachers have rights, too. The right to go to school without being shot and killed.

Mutt ~ I agree with you but I don't want to get used to it. I want it to stop and I believe that we have the power to make that happen. Australia hasn't had another mass shooting since they decided that they wanted to keep that sort of thing from happening again. It just takes the will of the people to take action.

I know this thread has the danger of becoming political but I don't think anyone of us . . . no matter what our political views . . . thinks its okay to let our children be killed in our schools. We have to stop squabbling long enough to find a solution.

muttmeister

I don't want to get used to it either and I know that the people of this country have the ABILITY to fix it but I honestly don't see that at this point they have the WILL. I'm getting increasingly disillusioned and discouraged about political solutions about a lot of things and that is what it is going to take. Big money talks and seems to be able to convince people to vote against their own best interests in so many cases!

nlj

I don't understand the gun laws in your country.
They're completely insane.
I can't imagine owning a gun or my neighbours owning guns. I can't imagine living in a country where people wanted guns and where they were owned by anyone and everyone.
I'm amazed that there aren't even more shooting atrocities.

Wiped Out

Staff member
These tragedies are so incredibly sad. Something needs to be done and it continues to amaze me that this country cannot come to some sort of an agreement.

Mary-is kt's mother in law okay?

BusynMember

I've never seen anyone carrying a gun other than our cops and that doesn't bother me. I hear it's common in certain areas. Not so much in Wisconsin. However, I do know of people who claim to stockpile guns and ammo to prepare for the coming of the evil government, which is going to take your guns and try to and declare a dictatorship. But they will have the ammo to fight back.

You can't make this stuff up.

I was always of the notion that I was born in the wrong country. I really don't "get" this country...we don't seem to make any sense to me. If I could have done it easily and cheaply, I would have taken my family and moved to Canada long ago. In Canada, you don't have to worry that your kids will get shot in school and everyone is entitled to get treatment if they are sick. I don't fit in here...I shake my head as often as you do, LucyJ, although I'm more used to it. I'm puzzled as to how so many people can think the way they do. But, then, I probably puzzle them (shrug). I don't talk to my neighbors about these things very often.

The saddest part is that, as a society, we are getting used to nuts running into schools and killing kids. I didn't even hear much about the last two on the news and nobody was talking about it at the watercooler at work. It is old news. in my opinion...very sad statement about us.

DammitJanet

I have a different view than what the NRA does but I can understand why they take such a hard line approach. Once you start allowing government to step in and dictate anything they mess it up royally.

I firmly believe in the right to own guns. I dont believe in the right to own a whole bunch of automatic guns made solely for the purpose of killing people. Actually automatic weapons are already illegal. Any fool who claims they need an AK47 to kill a deer is stupid. You wouldnt even be able to use the meat because it would be so shot full of holes. I do believe in the right of people to own guns to hunt and to protect their property.

In reality we do have laws that should help protect us from these things but they arent being enforced. We have some conflicting laws too that dont make a whole lot of sense. Laws are different here for long guns such as shotguns and rifles than they are for handguns. Handguns are much more regulated.

I heard someone on TV say something that made a lot of sense to me. Instead of expecting a person to answer the questions on the forms truthfully, the dealers should actually be able to check. That makes sense to me. A few of the questions on the forms here are: Do you use any illegal drugs? And...Have you ever been adjudicated mentally ill? Now I dont think anyone who wants a gun illegally is going to answer yes to either of those questions. What they need to do is to run a background check and see if someone has ever been arrested for possession and then here is where it gets iffy...HIPPA gets into it...medical records have to be opened so that gun dealers can find out if someone has been sent to a mental hospital against their will. That is what adjudicated means. A person like me who has gone to get treatment on their own and has never been hospitalized would not be considered unable to own a gun.

As far as the automatic weapons, well the only time I think anyone should be able to own one of those is if they are a collector and they would have to undergo a stringent background check, hold a collector's license and they would have to be under lock and key.

HMBgal

Guns are scary in the hands of police, too. We had an 18 year old girl, with known mental health problems, killed in our little community last week. The police had been called before to help the family with her, but this time, they sent out an officer that didn't know her or our community. She had a knife in her hand and after being on scene for 15 seconds, he killed her with a single shot. She was barely five feet tall. The current mood of this country--idiots walking into Chipotle and Target with assault weapons??--scares me to death.

witzend

I am disgusted to see people shrug their shoulders and say that there is nothing that can be done.

~Kathy

I'm more disgusted by the massive numbers of people who will say with pride, "Your dead kids don’t trump my Constitutional rights."

There are some scary disgusting people out there.

KTMom91

She's all right, Sharon, thanks for asking. She's shaken up, of course. The student who shot himself was in the restroom closest to her classroom, so they heard the final shots.

witzend

The current mood of this country--idiots walking into Chipotle and Target with assault weapons??--scares me to death.

The President of Open Carry Texas wrote an article for the Texas Tribune last week stating "Contrary to reports, no one in the restaurant was frightened or alarmed by the presence of our firearms"

If I'd known that carrying an AR-15 into a fast food joint imparts you with clairvoyance, I would have started doing that years ago.

witzend

The single largest gap in the federal background check requirement is that unlicensed, private sellers are not required to conduct background checks. As a result, convicted felons and other ineligible people are able to easily buy guns in most states nationwide.

There is no limit on the number of long guns I can go out and buy today. All I need is a credit card, which I have. I don't need a permit or a license to do so and I don't need to register them. I can turn around this evening and sell them all on the internet with no license and I am not required to perform a background check on who I sell that gun to. Now we all know I'm not going to do that. Do we know that everyone on our block won't do that, or is there maybe someone on your block that just might find that an easy way to make some extra cash? Now multiply that answer by the number of blocks in your city and think about it.

The lunatics are running the asylum.

DammitJanet

No there is no limit on buying long guns. I dont think there should be. Not 10 feet from me I have 3 guns...2 shotguns and a rifle. Oddly enough I have no ammo here because its not hunting season yet and we used it all up last year. I guess if someone broke in here I would have to use one as a baseball bat.

In all reality I have only shot our guns twice in my life. Once was at a snake and the other time I was trying to scare a really big scary dog out of my yard.

As far as selling guns online I know you cant on eBay.

BusynMember

But that's just it. The parents KNOW they have disturbed kids yet they have guns laying around with ammo around too?

Maybe you need an IQ test to buy a gun. I really don't think there should be any in the house of disturbed child (or person) of any age.

A lot of hotheads use the guns when they get ticked off and not as they are supposed to be used. And, of course, irresponsible parents keep loaded guns around...kids kill other kids (we're talking four year olds) because they get hold of them and don't know better.

Oh, Canada, if only...

DammitJanet

That is only logical since a person under 18 cant buy a gun legally. Of course in most places a person no matter how old they are can get one if they are willing to pay.

I guess you would lump me under the idiots MWM. My kids grew up with loaded guns sitting in a corner of my bedroom. They knew better than to touch them. They also knew they couldnt take the fishing poles out without their father.

My kids were taught from infancy about weapons. We never had one problem. They started hunting at 6 by going to turkey shoots and also they were the bird dogs when they went dove hunting with their father. Monkey has now expressed an interest in going to a turkey shoot so Tony will take her this fall. She wanted to go to the woods deer hunting but we figured out all she was interested in really was sitting in the tree stand with the little boy Tony also takes sometimes....lol.

donna723

Janet, it's like that around here too. Lots of deer hunters here and kids are taught how to safely handle guns from a very early age. The park rangers conduct Hunter's Safety classes at the state parks or they go to the schools and teach the classes. It's a whole different culture. But these are NOT the seriously disturbed kids who get a weapon from somewhere and go to their schools determined to kill as many others as they can. And unless we get a handle on it, it will continue to happen.