Another teen mom

Nancy

I see that Bristol Palin and her boyfriend broke up. Wonder what happened to the it isn't the ideal situation but they are going to grow up very fast and they are going to do the right thing. She didn't finish school, she has a baby to take care of, no means of support, and the future does not look good.

I wonder how many young teens got the wrong message from situation and how it was made to look like a happy even after ending.

Nancy

BusynMember

I thought she just married him for her mother's political career. He didn't seem too hot to me. I actually think it's better that she didn't marry so young. Now maybe she can still go back to school, with family support.
I agree, we have to be careful about the messages we send to young teens who think it may be "cool" to have a baby at such a young age.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Guess I never got the idea that it was a "happily ever after" situation...... they made a baby and being kids, didn't know what was in store for their future..... were trying to deal with it and happened to fall in the public eye...... maybe the breakup will show that being a mother before graduating HS and having no supporting partner isn't such a great thing to do and reinforces the reasons not to take this path...... and let's face it...... at least it wasn't 8 kids.......

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Nancy, being an unwed mother in my teens the pressure brought to do the "right thing" and marry was unbelievable - My family wanted to "save face" and shoot, I lived over 3,000 miles away, stories were made up so that the few times I went back home, I was divorced because it didn't work out - even was handed a wedding ring when I got off the plane to use.

I opted to go it alone knowing that I already had a problem being pregnant at such a young age, I didn't need to tie myself to an abusive alcoholic for the rest of my life (and these were back in the days where just the idea was unheard of being a single parent). None of that mattered to my family, it was all about how I was portrayed to others.

I can only imagine that the pressure put on Bristol by her mother was similar and a LOT had to do with her political agenda with the right wing group who would frown on a single mom/unmarried situation.

Marcie

lovemysons

I think from all I have gathered regarding Sarah's son and family support that Bristol will have plenty of caregivers around to help with baby if she decides to finish school etc.

I also think Marcie has a really good point about saving face with right wing agenda.

Tammy

KTMom91

Not to make a political statement, but I felt sorry for Bristol. She was in the spotlight, "living proof" of her mother's well-publicized beliefs. Who knows what she would have preferred to do or what choices she would have rather made?

I think Marcie has it right about saving face.

Nancy

Marcie, exactly my point. I don't for a minute think any of this was the daughter's plan. And I don't think forcing them to get married is the right thing, that was what the mother has said. I don't know if there is a right thing in this situation. Without getting political I just think the message that sent was that it was going to be fine because they were going to get married and the famileis were very supportive. In the end they will struggle and have a very difficult life.

Nancy