Another Teen Suicide

T

TeDo

That is terrible. I also watched his youtube video called "It will get better". He sounded so hopeful in that one. I wonder what happened for that to change.

donna723

How awful! What a terrible waste of a young life! You hear of so many teen suicides and it makes you wonder just how many were caused by some type of bullying from other kids. At least they're trying to do something about it now instead of just telling kids to toughen up or ignore it like they used to.

It just happens so often now! I was shocked to find out that a 15 year old local boy had committed suicide in a garage type building right behind my house! There had been a mobile home on the lot across the street from my back yard - the mobile home had been moved but there was still this wooden open ended garage there. This boy hung himself in there. It's been over a year and the yellow crime-scene tape is still up there. I didn't know him but there are so many kids around that same age here and it's only a few blocks from the high school. Apparently the rest of his family did not live here but others have said that this boys' older brother also committed suicide a few years ago. So very, very sad.

flutterby

Fly away!
Heartbreaking. No one should ever have to endure the psychological torture of bullying - especially not a child.

It took a 15 year old boy throwing himself in front of a train - several years ago - to get our SD to take action. They actually have a wonderful bullying program in place at all school, starting in Kindergarten. As many problems as I've had with this school, bullying is something they do take seriously and they have handled it very well.

TerryJ2

So sad. Unfortunately, as the admin said, it is not an easy solution. And there are always kids who are going to bully other kids. I'm thinking we have to ratchet it up a notch and teach other kids to intervene.

DDD

My favorite neice's son killed himself this year. He was an only child and much loved. Just this week I reached out to her via email with "chit chat" and, of coure, including the fact that I love her. She is in her early fifties and extremely bright and caring. They had no memorial service. Her siblings were allowed to visit at their house but neither she nor her husband opened up or showed their grief. Evidently they are "going on" with their life but internalizing all their pain. How I wish that she had found a support group for suicide survivors as that seems like the only way one would be free to work through that type of devestating loss. She told me in her response that when she is not working she gets in her car, plays his favorite CD's and just drives in random directions until she's ready to return home.
How sad is that? He had difficult years of bullying etc. as a kid but was a young adult holding down a job and acting, at least, like all was well. She was a wonderful loving advocate for him but I'm sure she is full of unwarranted guilt.
I can't tell you how deeply saddened I am for surviving parents. DDD