Anti-inflammatory diet / Perricone site

:smile:

Two things

For anyone who missed Oprah yesterday? Oprah had her gynecologist on the show. In addition to providing much valuable information, the doctor was one of those women who seem to radiate joy. If you did miss the show, I think you can access the information through the Oprah site. One of the most interesting things discussed was the relationship between Vitamin D, osteoporosis, and serotonin levels ~ yep, serotonin. For those unable to access the information, the gist of it was that fifteen minutes outside every day ~ not enough to burn, but enough to restore our Vitamin D levels, would be a very good thing for most of us.

If we are dark skinned, this is especially important, as dark skin filters the sun's energy.

The second thing (not that this was on Oprah ~ this is MY second thing!) is the body's inflammatory response, how what we choose to eat may be affecting us, and why. I am including the link to the Perricone site, but that is only because this site provides the rationale behind the anti-inflammatory diet.

http://www.nvperriconemd.com

MAN! I JUST TRIED TO ACCESS THE SITE I LISTED TO BE CERTAIN THE LINK WOULD BRING IT UP. I WAS NOT AWARE THAT IT WOULD OPEN TO THE "BUY THIS" PAGE. WHEN YOU ACCESS THE SITE, HIT "NUTRITION" TO BRING UP THE ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET.

:bag:

The connection between sugar (wherever it comes from ~ and that could be pasta ~ or, rice cakes, for instance) and the body's inflammatory response is startling.

So, that is what I am trying regarding this asthma thing, next.

If you do check out the site, disregard all the "buy this / try that".

I am doing this?

And I will report back on whether it seems to make any difference in the asthma thing.

:spaghetti: (This is me. I had canned salmon, oatmeal, and an egg for breakfast this morning. No milk, no sugar, no butter. I did have coffee, but...whatever!)

Then, I had the teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water which has been so helpful for acid reflux. If this is a problem for you?

I was able to stop using Prilosec with the apple cider vinegar three to four times a day. I think it might have to do with replacing stomach acids that we just don't make enough of anymore, as we age. (I am going to be 56 this month.)

Have a good day, everyone!

Barbara

Nomad

Staff member
Thank you for posting this. I saw most of the show. Did you do the hand on your "hearts" thing? LOL! husband came home early, saw me doing this and was perplexed. Fun, huh? LOL!

I am rushing at the moment, but will check the site asap.

My Dr. checked my Vit. D and he felt it was a little (tiny bit) on the low side. He gave me some tabs to take for one month and then I am to make sure I take the Cal/Mag/D tabs from this point on (daily).

I do believe that we should be aware of what we eat. I think a person can almost sense that certain foods are not for them. Certainly bloating is likely a tell tale sign.

Personally, I feel much better since getting on a good vitamin routine...the B vitamins in particular have been of help.

I loved the low heart thing.

I did do it.

I think that was one of the most valuable parts of the show. How is it that we can be surprised to hear that our low hearts could ever be compared to something as wonderful as a heart?

Low heart.

I love it.

Barbara

Star*

call 911........call 911
OH MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NOT RICE CAKES - drat - I JUST found them and have been having them as a snack - drat, drat, drat.

Square one!

I KNOW! I was going to start snacking on rice cakes too (since I can't seem to eat a darn thing lately without getting into trouble on the breathing front).

Still, it's better to know than not.

And on the anti-inflammatory diet front?

We went to a Chinese buffet last night.

:woohoo:

I did stay away from the sugary things, and the ice cream, though.

I had the salmon, egg, and oatmeal this morning again. Later, I am doing some cantaloupe.

So,I guess we are starting from day one, because of the Chinese food.

It was worth it.

Barbara

P.S. to Nomatic: I agree with the B vitamins observation. They seem to even out my moods ~ which probably sounds funny, but I do think that is true.