givnmegryhr

I may have asked this before, but I can't find the answer and to be honest, I forget. Not a big surprise. difficult child was on lithium in the summer, unfortunately he became toxic and the psychiatrist decided to switch to Lamictal. He had been doing pretty well,but his anxiety level has gotten worse. He makes me take him to the bathroom again. The lithium was helping so much with his aggression,but his anxiety was at an all time high on it. I have always wondered, if the level was kept lower so he didn't get sick on it and the doctor had added an antianxiety medication, if that would have been the answer.So to my question: What antianxiety medications have worked for your children? I am waiting to hear from psychiatrist and I know she is going to change something-maybe his Risperdal(I am so nervous). He is currently on Lamictal,trileptal and risperdal,but I want to discuss the antianxiety medications too. (I know to only switch one at a time) Anyway if you could tell me the medications that helped anxiety with your kids , I will be more informed when she calls. Thanks!

smallworld

Buspar is an antianxiety medication that is sometimes used for kids. My son never got to a therapeutic level on it because he became dizzy (a known side effect).

The benzodiazepines (for example, Klonopin, Xanax, Ativan) are generally used either short-term or PRN because they can be addictive. Klonopin didn't work for my son, and my daughter (easy child) became disinhibited on it.

SSRIs (for example, Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro) and tricyclic antidepressants (for example, Nortriptyline and Amitriptyline) are sometimes used for anxiety, but as you know, they can be destabilizing for some kids with BiPolar (BP). All 3 of my kids are on low doses of SSRIs, but 2 also take mood stabilizers.

Finally, the atypical antipsychotics are used for anxiety (they are considered major tranquilizers). Zyprexa at the right dose helped easy child overcome her choking phobia. Perhaps your difficult child isn't on the right AP to reduce his anxiety.

givnmegryhr

Thanks smallword and JoG. I actually asked difficult child's old psychiatrist about switching to zyprexa and ,get this, she said it is the same as Risperdal! That's when we found a new psychiatrist.
I have heard alot about Ativan,seen alot of people on the boards that are having good results with it. I will ask the psychiatrist about it.
The psychiatrist just called back. She is going to Difficult Child the Trileptal. Said to watch for side effects with the Risperdal, since removing the Trileptal will raise the effects of it. I told her I didn't think Trileptal was doing anything and she said it actually will lower the effects of Lamictal(they are working against each other). So we'll try this, of course it will take awhile to titrate off of the Triletpal and then we'll see how the Risperdal is doing and go from there. I am glad she has a plan. Wish us luck!