Antidepressants change personality, study suggests

TerryJ2

Wow. Awesome.
But is is permanent? Do people maintain their extroversion and uplifted moods when they are no longer taking Paxil?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
That could explain a lot. A WHOLE lot. And if Paxil makes you more outgoing, perhaps they need to find something for husband that will make him LESS outgoing...

BusynMember

I've been on Paroxotene for over twenty years and it really helps me, but I know people it didn't help at all...in fact it makes a lot of people worse. As for being friendlier, I dunno. I've always been surface friendly, but not really that interested in socializing and that has changed. I had to do a lot of therapy with the Paxil to be more positive. No other SSRI helped me, in fact they made me worse. Prozac was a nightmare for me and everyone in my family who tried it. Zoloft made me flat out nuts and ended me up in the hopsital. I think once you are off the medication, the benefits, if any, go away just like the bad stuff goes away once you've withdrawn. I don't ever plan on going off of Paxil. It has been too incredible for me. I'd rather keep it for maintenance.

Think the article is a bit simplistic. JMO.

N

nellytelly

My Mother likes her Paxil, too, but it did nothing for me. Without it, she was on the verge of crying or not caring about taking care of herself at all most of the time.