ants in the kitchen

klmno

We moved into this house last summer, then found it had ants in the kitchen. They went away about the time I got new appliances (early winter) so I had assumed they had nested under the dishwasher or something. Now they are back- so I guess it has something to do with humidity or warm weather. I've tried the little ant food things you set out- I have them about every 2 feet in the kitchen. They're not helping- :grrr:

I'd be grateful for any suggestions!!!!!

I read somewhere that if you make a pile of dry cornmeal somewhere in your kitchen, it will attract the ants. Then they either can't digest it or it poisons them or something. I don't remember exactly. I seem to remember that they take it back and it poisons the colony or something.

If ya try it, let me know if it works!

Wiped Out

Staff member
We just went through this. We sprayed and put the little ant food things and it appears to be working but-one year they were so bad we finally called Orkin-it was 5 years before we got them again-so my advice if they don't go away try Orkin.

klmno

Thanks! When Orkin comes do you have to pull everything out of kitchen and wait a few days to put stuff back in the cabinets?

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>Not sure you can get this anymore, but we used to have ants every summer, I would put Diazanon crystals around the foundation of the house. A complete ring, no breaks in the application. Then you do an anti-ant dance wearing a mini-skirt and three inch heels....uh, no never mind that last part.....

Seriously, the crystals will work, but in a preventative manner. Someone also recommended to me to use "Home Defense" which is a spray you put around the foundation of your home. It's not cheap, but neither is Orkin.... You may not get immediate results since the ants are already in the house, but short of killing them with Raid, one by one......

I've heard they are after sugar or grease...either way make sure any spills are cleaned thoroughly....nag, nag, nag.....</span>

:faint:

Julie SVV

We just moved into our house in December and too have the ant problem, big, black carpenter ants. . .because my daughter suffers from anxiety and a phobia of bugs in addition to her ADHD and oppositional deviant disorder, you can only imagine the chaos that these bugs have incited in our home. I have contacted a company who deals with these insects. I tried the little bug things, spray and now I am turning to the professionals. We do that with our children when we don't know what to do. . .why not take this lesson into the rest of our lives too? My suggestion to you is to call a professional.
Good luck.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Julie, its my understanding that carpenter ants are a whole different story, you do need a professional for them. They go after structures....

sameold sameold

We had a carpenter ants in the house and had to call the professionals. It was very expensive but they got every last one fo them and more. Good luck

Kathy813

Staff member
We had those big black ugly ants, too. We called an exterminator after I told husband it was me or the ants. I hate bugs!

We didn't have to empty our cabinets. They just sprayed along the baseboards and around the outside of the house. It immediately solved the problem.

Good luck.

~Kathy