any Aldi shoppers here?

ctmom05

I've been hearing about Aldi and what terrific prices they have. I am probably going to give it a try this week.

For anyone who has shopped there; was it a good experience? Were the prices good; would you buy meat or produce there?

judi

You can get good deals at Aldi's. Some things to do:

You must bring a quarter for the cart rental - you get it back when you bring the cart back.

You have to bag all your own stuff, so bring boxes/bags

Always check the dates on items - sometimes things are close to the expiration date.

DammitJanet

I dont buy fresh meat but I do buy things like frozen chicken, frozen dinners, etc. They have great prices on Cornish game hens if you like those. Hot dogs, sandwich meats, cheese, bacon, eggs, milk, cereal, pb, jelly, condiments, sugar, flour, all dry goods, canned goods, paper products. I love their cucumbers, peppers, breads, oh spaghetti and spaghetti sauce. Ramen noodles.

They do sell some name brand stuff like candy. They also sell some wine and beer I believe. They have soda but it is off label.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
My kids would've starved if it weren't for Aldi's. husband and I still go now that they're out of the house. I've found that I like much of their foods better than name brands. lol

I have bought their meat on occasion. Selling fresh meat is a new thing for aldi's........at least around here. So I look it over carefully first. I don't always get their meat.

You have to watch the prices on their produce. Every once in a while it will be higher than the regular stores. Supermarkets have sales, aldi's doesn't.

I love their canned goods, pasta, spagetti sauce, dairy stuff, bacon, cereals, ect. Their bread is outragiously cheap and good. Their milk last time I was there was 1.59 a gallon!!! Walmart here was charging 4.00 a gallon! Their snack foods are wonderful. Love their frozen stuff too. But I haven't ever picked up their frozen pizza so can't say how that is.

I just never get the hot dogs or the peanut butter. I can't stand generic hot dogs, and 99 percent of generic peanut butter is disgusting. However krogers generic peanut butter is actually Jiff and is wonderful. :)

A trip to aldi's can cost me less than half what I'd pay at walmart.

What I do is that we go to aldi's first. I fill as much from my shopping list from there as possible. What I can't/don't buy from aldi's we pick up at walmart or krogers on sale.

I just wish we'd get one in town. I have to drive 20 miles to get to mine. And it's STILL worth it to go.

hugs

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
My opinion on Aldi is "eh...."

Most products are off-brands. Paper goods like toilet paper and paper plates are very comparable to what you would find anywhere else. Household products like dishwashing soap and toilet bowl cleaner seem "watered-down" compared with name-brand products. Cheaper, yes--but not as effective either.

You can find some good prices on staples like Milk, Eggs, Bread and Fruits and Veggies. Sometimes name brands find their way to Aldi at pretty good prices, too.

Yes, you can get meats, and packaged foods at low prices--but the quality is generally not as good as other stores, either. So if it's something that you don't care much about--it will be fine...but like the point DaisyLover made, if you are fussy about a particular food--Aldi's brand may not quite cut it for you.

For the best deals? Get into "super couponing" by following one of the many websites springing up. You will get better quality stuff at much lower prices than Aldi.

Hope this helps!

--DaisyFace

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm an EXTREME COUPONER in training. I'm getting a T-shirt that says - on the back -

EXTREME couponer in training -
PICK ANOTHER LANE -
this could take a while.

I've been doing good - My first outing I did $110 in groceries for $34. Second outing? $70 in groceries for $17 - I'm almost through my 1st month and my family thinks I've gone koo koo for toilet paper. Never been to Aldis, but I can't believe what I used to pay vs. what I pay now. You have to be committed (but then again - I should have been committed years ago) to it and it takes a LOT of time on the upstart. But I think it will pay off eventually.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Good for you, Star!

Yes, it is a lot of work....and it ABSOLUTELY pays off!!!

I've gotten to the point where I get so much stuff for free or nearly free that anything over $1 seems like a lot to pay for stuff. As in $1.75 for a box of cereal??? Are you kidding me??? I'm not gonna pay that!!!

(of course, it is easy to get a little too crazy with it)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I wish I had your patience, organizational skill, (and room to actually do it in my house) Star!

But I am an Aldi and/or sales flyer shopper, and it saves me tons. Between that and butchering our own meat, the boys grew up without really realizing our meals were on budgets!

Their snacks, tho off brand, are awesome. Even the generic oreos are great. Milk is half the price of the other stores. Butter (real butter) and cheese, too.

I don't buy a lot of meat there, but I love Aldi's. Oh, and cash or debit card only.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Shari - OMG real butter? YUM.

Daisy - I'm about to that point. Even after a month. I swear DF's on board with me too. We were in F.L. (grocery store) and passed butter the other night and he said OM do you see that Country Crock is $2.16 - and we got all ours for WHAT? (freezer full) and I think. Yup - I swear I'm getting cheaper by the dozen. lol