Any Catholics here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
I guess there must be differences amongst ethnic groups, our Lord's Prayer stopped "before the Protestant ending", to quote my mother.

If your friend's family has any kind of decency they will avoid the awkwardness of checking under the car to make sure no close relative has planted a bomb there (true story, happened after my aunt's wake).

Star*

call 911........call 911
Eeky -

Very sorry to hear about the passing of your freinds father. My condolences to her family.

Two people have said you won't take holy communion. Why? If you were baptisted or christened in another faith - can you not take holy communion at a Catholic church?

trinityroyal

If you were baptisted or christened in another faith - can you not take holy communion at a Catholic church?

Moderators, please feel free to delete if this is straying too far into a religious discussion...

Star, the reason that non-Catholics are not supposed to take Holy Communion in a Catholic church has to do with the Catholic belief in transubstantiation. In other words, that the holy host is actually transformed into the body of Christ, rather than acting as a symbolic representation of the body of Christ.

Taking Catholic communion as a non-Catholic is considered a big no-no.

Trinity

klmno

Trinity, protestants also believe in the Holy Spirit and that is enters the body thru being saved and communion. I think you are right though, in that Catholics believe something about the body of Christ that protestants don't.

Star, it's my understnading that while protestants who have been baptised can partake in communion in any church, in a Catholic church, in order to partake in communion, the person has to be catholic.

The exception on protestants, some baptists and maybe others (not sure- maybe Church of Christ) the person has to have been baptised- not just christened as a baby- in order to be considered "saved". In the Baptist faith, this is because they believe that a baby being christened is not the same as a person choosing for his/herself to have Christ come in their life. (That's the short, simple explanation.) But, the person does not have to have been baptised in a baptist church or belong to a baptist church.

Lothlorien

Nancy, maybe you do, but I know most (at least around here) don't, which seems to be the case, from what others are saying also. I've been to mass, here, where they don't say the rest. The majority of my family and husband's family is Catholic. I have not been to services out of state, so it may be different elsewhere.

Star, to answer your question, in the Catholic church, you have to go to confession before taking Communion. Their beliefs on Communion are different from non-Catholics. I'm sure there is more to this, which I don't have answers to, so feel free to pm someone who is more knowledgeable on this.

At this point, I believe that Eeky's question has been answered. At the risk that this is going into an area, where it shouldn't, I'm going to lock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.