Any difficult children on Daytrana Patch?

crazymama30

psychiatrist is thinking of puting difficult child on Daytrana once he is stable on the Lamictal, which is working great. He is on 75mg now, and I do see results. We will go to 100mgs Lamictal in 2 more weeks. Anyways, just thought I would reasearch Daytrana now, and start here. Thanks

gail35

Yes, my 7 year old is on I believe 20 mg patch. It takes about an hour or more before the patch kicks in. Then he becomes very focused, doesnt talk very much but doesnt smile very much either. onced removed it takes about an hour for him to become his normal very talkative, very smiley self again. I hate what he becomes but his grades have just skyrocketed. When he comes home I take it off as soon as he gets in the house. He does get a nice red mark where the patch has been, but it is gone by the morning.

smallworld

My son tried the Daytrana patch and didn't like it. We had a hard time getting it to stick -- it kept peeling up at the edges -- and it therefore wasn't very effective for him. He also found it made his skin itchy and irritated, and he ended up pulling the patch off during school. I figured it was easier to enforce a pill he could ingest over a patch he could remove.

The package insert says you can leave the patch on for a total of 9 hours, but you can certainly take it off sooner depending upon the needs of your difficult child's day. It does take about an hour to kick in, and it stays in the system up to 3 hours after you remove the patch. Because you can pull it off at any point, the patch offers flexiblity a pill doesn't.

gail35

I put the patch on about 7:15 in the morning and take it off about 5:30. I put it on his behind and we havent had very much problem with it coming off, but it has come off before.

OMGosh, when I first read the title of this post, I thought it said "Daytona" patch! And I cracked up, thinking "oh boy, can get husband to do something on the weekends other than watching the races!" LOL! Sorry, back to the real subject!

Hugs,
Vickie

tryingteacher

I have a little guy in my class that was out of his seat every 30 seconds no joke, he was self injurous, couldn't work or focus, Now that he is on the daytranna patch he is a much happier and healthier kid. He is learning, making friends, he no longer hurts himself and he is mainstreamed for for almost half teh school day. The patch has truly made a huge difference in his life. His grades were d's and f's and now he makes straight A's. However another one of my little guys tried it and it was horrible it didn't work for him. It made him itch and he wouldn't keep it on so now he is back on his medications via taking them by mouth. This has been my experience with it so far.

crazymama30

Has anyone had any problems with a rebound effect? I just noticed that difficult child seems to have become allergic to band aids, so adhesive may be a problem. Tape is ok, but band aids have caused him to break out in a nasty rash where the adhesive is.

TerryJ2

Wow!
Impressive.
Hadn't considered the itching. Or the bandaids.
We are making an appointment for my difficult child to try a Concerta patch. Too bad they don't make it in Adderal... that's a yr or 2 off from now. He chews his capsules (ew!) because he's got a thing for not swallowing pills. That cuts an hr or 2 off the time time release. :frown:

smallworld

Terry, the "Concerta patch" is called Daytrana. Both contain long-acting methylphenidate, which is the active ingredient in Ritalin.

DDD

My daughter, referred to on the Board as GFGmom, told me this morning that she spoke to psychiatrist about changing her five year old
over to the patch. GFGmom shared that the Doctor said that one of the advantages of the patch was that "it works as soon as you
put it on and stops as soon as you take the patch off". HUH??
I didn't say anything because I'm not going to raise another
grandchild so I try to back off completely...but, once again, the
Board has provided the accurate answers based on experience.
Thanks! DDD