Any Essential Oil peeps here?

PonyGirl65

I just attended a 2-hour training....billed as "Wellness Education" that turned out to be a GIANT sales pitch for Essential Oils....

Now, I'm all for natural holistic care. Absolutely!! And the gal did a really nice job educating on the "10 Essential Essential Oils" and she really DIDN'T do a hard-sell at the end.

But I didn't have $190.00 to spend on "a kit" nor did I want to fork over $35.00 for "a membership", so I walked out empty handed.

Anyone here have any experience using Essential Oils?? Curious to see if reality is close to the sales pitch.

Peace

Scent of Cedar *

No. But I am interested, too.

Go to WalMart natural remedies area, Pony. There are essential oils there for you to try before paying premium prices for those harvested and kept cool and shipped specially. (We bought borage essential oil just recently. That is how I know how they are shipped. We could not find borage oil elsewhere. Walgreen's have a collection of essential oils, too. If you go online to either pharmacy and key in essential oils, you may find what you are most interested in for less than what is being asked online. You can do a ship-to-store-free.)

During D H bout with psoriasis, we learned about and used sea salt. It is amazing for the skin. They say Epsom salt is, too. We did not try that. What we did is mix the sea salt with borage oil. It has an unpleasant fragrance. It was helpful to D H, but would not have calmed the exacerbation (which was intense) alone.

Here is a helpful link.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/1/352s.full

Here is a link to an essential oils discussion on CD:

http://www.conductdisorders.com/community/threads/red-palm-oil.51971/#axzz49EQJ8Fbn

I would like to learn more about essential oils, too. The amount of information is overwhelming.

The oil mentioned in the CD thread I linked for you worked so beautifully on my skin and hair, Pony. It did give me whiteheads, so I had to stop using it. But I have crazy sensitive skin.

That oil was from WalMart. It did beautiful things for my skin and hair, as was suggested, and was only $6.

I bought it for D H, when I could not find the borage oil anywhere. He refused to use it because it was from WalMart.

So, I tried it, with very nice results, initially.

It made me curious about essential oils. It would be interesting to begin an essential oils thread, here. So many of us will have tried one or another. I was pleased with both the borage and the one I used. I cannot, for the life of me, remember the name right now.

For heaven's sake.

:x3:

Cedar

ksm

I have ordered from Edensgarden.com for the past year. They have a "pick your own" kit. You can get 6 10ml bottles from a wide selection for about $25. Or 14 bottles for about $50. Plus free shipping! I lhave be some of their blends, anxiety ease, head ease, sunshine spice, fighting five, muscle ease, sleep ease, stress relief... Plus lavender, lemon, wild orange.

Multi level marketing is overpriced, and some consultants are not well trained, but just repeat info, and sometimes it is misleading. I enjoy adding my favorite scents in to lotions and bath salts. KSM

Josie

My daughter has multiple health issues and we have been to many doctors over the years. We have gotten the most help from out of mainstream doctors. Our most recent new doctor recommended essential oils. She recommends one of the multi level marketing expensive ones. She says because it will be taken internally, it is important to have one that is good quality. I have to say that despite my skepticism, it did seem to make a big difference for my daughter!

I will say it was not in a good way. But with her condition, it is expected that things could get worse before they are better. We have backed off the essential oils because it seemed to make her so much worse that she can't handle it right now. But I believe they do something because the effect was pretty immediate for her.

I am not sure about the consultant part of it. I feel much better having a trained medical professional tell us what to do. My 18 yo daughter is supposedly a wellness consultant now for this company! This is because we paid a $35 fee so we could get the wholesale price. My daughter knows less than I do about this and I do not in any way feel qualified to tell someone else what to do. I think she could get other people to buy and she would make money or get discounts on her own purchases and there is information about how to sell and market when I log in to order.

So, do your own research and know that your consultant may not know any more than you do.

I am trying to take the essential oils too but I have been sporadic and can't say if it is helping or not.

I do not post often, but I have been reading here for years. I had a difficult child who is now in college and seems to be doing well and a high school senior.

Last edited:

Copabanana

But I didn't have $190.00 to spend on "a kit" nor did I want to fork over $35.00 for "a membership", so I walked out empty handed.
Good.

I have no experience with essential oils but I do with homeopathy which I believe might be related. I had one cold after another, maybe 3 or 4 a year--this was maybe 26 years ago. I went for help. After a long diagnosis (which was more about body and personality type.) I ended up being a thuja *which is redwood. I was prescribed a remedy--tiny little balls to boil to make a tea, and herbs. This regimen lasted just a short while. At most, weeks.

The colds and flu cleared up. Right away. I seldom ever get colds now. Maybe 3 times in 26 years. Why it worked and how, I do not know.

But this guy was a medical doctor trained in homeopathy. Not somebody selling a product.

ksm

There is also a good facebook group about using essential oils safely. I will try to look it up and post a link...if I can figure it out. I would be careful taking oils internally with out someone being very well trained in the subject. I have seen what a citrus oil can do to the finish of wood furniture. Many people put it in their water to drink. I have esophagitis in the past and would not want to risk making things worse. They say you get benefits just by using in a diffuser, smelling from the bottle, or diluting and applying topically.

I did read one horror story abou a woman, who on the advice of a consultant, put undiluted oil on a tampon (for yeast infection?) and had horrible internal burns and scarring!!! cringe!!!

Ksm

ksm

*NEW* Using Essential Oils Safely

That is the name of the facebook group I like. It is run by Lea Harris, I think, who follows the teachings of Robert Tisserand, who has the most approved essential oil book. Kind of the bible of EO.

I don't know if you have to put the astericks to find the site. In the files sections of the FB page, they have lots of info and recipes. Like what oils are kid and pet safe, etc. KSM

InsaneCdn

I would be careful taking oils internally with out someone being very well trained in the subject.
My experience has been almost exclusively external - topical or aroma therapy. Anything in "pure" or "concentrated" form is a risk, even topically. I always mix essential oils with a carrier oil before using topically.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
IC, you are doing it right. '

I do want to remind folks that many scents produced by plants are toxins designed to prevent them being eaten, repel things that might eat them, and in some cases, attract pollinators,

Lavender and ti tree oil are two examples of plant toxins. Lavender smells nice to humans and the French use it in cookery (blech)

Ti tree oil is toxic and smells it. It should not be taken internally, ever, and should not be used on pets, as even if it doesn't burn their skin, there is a risk of them ingesting it.

I use ti tree oil diluted in food grade oil on my scalp. I have a sort of dandruff that is fungal in origin. I've had it since I was a kid. I've tried all sorts of RX antifungals both topical and oral, to get rid of it, and nothing works. Using the ti-tree oil 2x a month as a conditioner, keeps the itchiness down and the flakes at bay. I do have to be sure to shampoo and thoroughly rinse to get any traces of the oil out of my hair (I leave on for an hour) because Squeaky just loves to lick the back of my head when my hair is wet, and I don't want her to poison herself.

I use oils to make a bug repellent that I put directly on my skin. I use lavender oil mainly with some grape seed carrier oil. It is better than OFF or something with deet that is poisonous, it smells great, moisturizes, and keeps bugs away. It works so much better!!! I also may add citronella oil or pine with this as well. Google.
My sons mother in law gave me something she bought at a natural food store for bug repellent, these were the ingredients, I just made my own and it works GREAT and much cheaper!!!

Scent of Cedar *

I use ti tree oil diluted in food grade oil on my scalp. I have a sort of dandruff that is fungal in origin. I've had it since I was a kid. I've tried all sorts of RX antifungals both topical and oral, to get rid of it, and nothing works. Using the ti-tree oil 2x a month as a conditioner, keeps the itchiness down and the flakes at bay. I do have to be sure to shampoo and thoroughly rinse to get any traces of the oil out of my hair (I leave on for an hour) because Squeaky just loves to lick the back of my head when my hair is wet, and I don't want her to poison herself.

Is this maleleuca oil, Going?

D H psoriasis flare is resolved now, and he is healing nicely. Tea (or ti) tree oil might be something for us to think about in future.

I used it undiluted on a festering insect bite last Fall. I had already used OTC antibiotic cream to no effect, but the area healed with the tea (or ti) tree oil.

*NEW* Using Essential Oils Safely

That is the name of the facebook group I like. It is run by Lea Harris, I think, who follows the teachings of Robert Tisserand, who has the most approved essential oil book. Kind of the bible of EO.

I don't know if you have to put the astericks to find the site. In the files sections of the FB page, they have lots of info and recipes. Like what oils are kid and pet safe, etc. KSM

Thank you, ksm.

:O)

I will look for this.

Cedar

ksm

I get an occasional cold sore only lip, and I used a tiny bit of tea tree oil on it. You can use a toothpick to dip a small amount and touch it to your lip. It wouldn't hurt to dilute some first, but I have not had a reaction to tea tree... It healed up faster than using the expensive tiny tube of Abreve from the store.

KSM

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Is this maleleuca oil, Going?

Yes, melaleuca something or the other is the scientific name of the tree. "Ti" is the native name (it's from Australia) for some odd reason, in America, they call it"tea tree", which is a bit confusion, as well as being dangerous. Someone might attempt to add it to tea and drink the stuff.

Thank you, ksm.

:O)

I will look for this.

Cedar

Scent of Cedar *

You make a crucial point, Going. That we need to remember that what we buy in those little colored bottles is a concentrated form of an essence evolved for survival.

And can be toxic.

Thank you, Going.

Cedar

susiestar

Roll With It
I have used EOs for years. I have gotten similar results from the cheaper kinds found at health food stores and online as the expensive kinds sold by various groups for MLM and other reasons. I see no reason to buy the more expensive ones.

Tea tree oil is great for many things. I keep some diluted in rice bran oil to use on my kids' scrapes, scratches and acne and it is far better than antibiotic ointment, at least for us. Esp for acne and my kids get the nasty types that scar badly.

while I have used many sources for info about them, trial and error has been the most effective for me.

I will say that for bug repellent a mixture of citronella and lavender is effective. If you have a bit of unscented lotion to mix them in, great. Want to punch it up a notch? Get some neem oil and if it doesn't make you gag, add some of that to it. Or a few drops of catnip oil if you can find it. Also good are rosemary oil, eucalyptus, cedar and almost any mint. I know of recipes that call for mixing these into various carrier oils and then applying to the skin. Neem is used as an organic pesticide and several entomologists that I know say it will kill/repel darn near anything. It is used as a carrier oil in some countries and can be eaten safely, as well as applied safely to the skin. I dont know how people stand the smell as it royally reeks to me but then again I have serious sensory issues with odors. I do know that in India they mix neem and coconut oil to repel the mosquitoes. The govt has recommended this to avoid many of the mosquito born diseases that are problems there.

I do urge you to rethink coconut as a carrier oil on the skin. It is actually quite harsh on the skin and is known to cause or worsen acne. But whatever works for you.

For stuffy noses I will take a piece of cloth and put a couple of drops of eucalyptus or rosemary oil on. Sniffing the cloth really works to unstuff the nose with-o any medication. Jess and I use oil cleansing for our faces and I mix carrier oils with EOs to make oils we like that help our faces. It feels great and is tons cheaper than buying cleaners. For antiaging I suggest getting some rosehip seed oil online - it is amazing. It only takes a little to make a big difference.

I do urge you to do an allergy test with ANY new mixture of EOs and carrier oils. Put a drop on the inside of your forearm and leave for 48 hours to check for any reaction BEFORE you slather it all over your body. You would be surprised at what you can react to in combination that you didn't react to individually! Learn from my mistakes, lol!

I would check the local health food store before buying a kit or from any MLM group. They usually have a brand that they have carried for quite a while that is reputable. Aura Cacia is one brand and there are others. I got my nutmeg oil free from a local health food store. It was a sample bottle that no one was interested in and they were going to throw out. I wanted it for a candle and the owner knows I am careful with my oils, so she gave it to me. Nutmeg is an oil to be VERY careful with. It can cause hallucinations if used in strong concentrations, just like ground nutmeg can if you eat it very often. So the owner wasn't wild about selling bottles of the EO, but was okay giving the hardly used tester to me because she knows me and my usage of oils.