Any good artichoke recipes?

Abbey

Spork Queen
I haven't had one since a teen, but they brought in a bunch yesterday that looked so good. I vaguely remember just pulling off a stem and dipping them in butter. Do you steam them? Boil? Broil?

Abbey

Lothlorien

My Mother in law makes artichoke soup. She usually uses the baby artichokes.

I usually bread artichoke hearts (with lots of parm cheese) and after doing the same with some pork cutlets, I saute the cutlets and then the artichokes. once the pan gets all yucky with lots of the crumbs and cheese getting stuck and brown, I pour chicken broth in, so it gets creamy and put capers in. Then just before serving, put some halved grape tomatoes in. Sorry, can't give exact measurements.....I never use recipes. Everything is in my head and I usually just make the stuff up.

Abbey

Spork Queen
My Mother in law makes artichoke soup. She usually uses the baby artichokes.

I usually bread artichoke hearts (with lots of parm cheese) and after doing the same with some pork cutlets, I saute the cutlets and then the artichokes. once the pan gets all yucky with lots of the crumbs and cheese getting stuck and brown, I pour chicken broth in, so it gets creamy and put capers in. Then just before serving, put some halved grape tomatoes in. Sorry, can't give exact measurements.....I never use recipes. Everything is in my head and I usually just make the stuff up.

Wow. Don't know if I'm that creative!!

My family is looking at me as I'm boiling them to marinate like I'm nuts. I can read their minds...we're not eating that!! ;)

Abbey

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I usually boil mine, but steaming works fine, too.

I'm the only one who eats them around here (yay, MORE for ME!)

I am rather simple in my taste -- I just dip the end of the leaf in melted butter with lemon juice mixed in. YUH-UM! (Wha? Something on my chin?)

busywend

My sister makes a great stuffed artichoke - yum! Interesting eating technique.

I personally love artichoke hearts. I buy them in the can soaked in brine. I have put some brushetta, sliced up artichoke hearts and some grated parm cheese on top of chicken breast and baked it - delicious!
I put them in salads, cold. Or in any pasta salad.

Love them!

Lothlorien

I make an artichoke casserole too and Missy actually eats it! About 6 eggs, artichoke hearts, ricotta cheese and parm cheese mozz cheese. Beat the heck out of the eggs, add the rest....put in a baking dish for about 1/2 hour (til firm). Very simple side dish.

I've got tons. I love artichokes.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Well, ended up boiling them, then marinating them in olive oil, basimic vinegar and soy. I'll let them sit all day in the marinade then attempt to grill. I always love to experiment. It's a 50/50 shot whether it comes out alright.

Abbey

meowbunny

I nuke mine. A little water with olive oil, some lemon slices and crushed garlic in the bottom and put between the chokes, plastic wrap on top (vented) and 8-15 minutes in microwave (depends on size of chokes). Make a dip of mayo with crushed garlic and lemon (lazy woman's hollandaise) and munch away.

If I want to make them a full meal, I'll make some chicken salad, hollow out the center of the choke, spread it out and fill with the salad. A green salad and garlic bread and I have a full meal. YUMMY!

Okay, now I gotta see if I can find some chokes in Florida that look good. I made me hungry.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Deb, I know it's too late but I searched for some artichoke recipes. You never know when they may come in handy. Yum. I don't believe I have ever cooked them.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Just finished them...ummmmmmm..... tossed in a bit of fresh garlic, split them in half and put on the grill. They were GOOD. husband and easy child loved them as well. And, our 3 birds. ;)

Abbey

Abbey

Spork Queen
Where I set up in my store is right in front of a big screen TV that plays the SAME videos over and over again. I could recite every word. So, here's the question that I learned from the video.

Is an artichoke a vegetable or a fruit? (NO cheating by googling!!)

Abbey

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Artichokes are technically neither a fruit nor a vegetable. They are the bud of a type of giant thistle flower.

In fact, the "choke" you have to remove before preparation is actually the pistils and stamens of the unborn flower.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Artichokes are technically neither a fruit nor a vegetable. They are the bud of a type of giant thistle flower.

In fact, the "choke" you have to remove before preparation is actually the pistils and stamens of the unborn flower.

Yeah...you got it! They are considered a flower. Here's your $100,00 check. ;)

Abbey

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Here's another one. What type of flower that also makes an edible fruit is often eaten before or during the start of fruit formation.

Hint: it's used in both Italian and Hispanic cookery and is often served stuffed with savory fillings.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have sort of an unfair advantage on this as my late husband went from driving a tank in the Army to being a chef in the civilian world.

I don't cook much just for myself, but I do know a lot about food.

Don't know if you are still interested in a receipe, but here's my family's favorite:

Cook 3 articokes (al dente) in boiling water with a little olive oil and salt.
Brown 1/2 tube of sausage , drain and combine with a bag of fresh spinach (cleaned and quickly wilted in a pan with some of the run-off from the sausage, 1/2 cups bread crumbs, and 2 tablespoons of Grey Poupon Mustard.
Take 2 tablespoons butter (the real thing) and quickly nuke with 1 tablespoon Grey Poupon Mustard.
Put the cooked artichokes in a greased baking pan after you have sliced them in half and removed the "chokes" . Pour the melted butter and mustard mixture inside each artichoke half. Then , spoon on the sausage/mustard mixture. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and run under the broiler for 5 minutes.
After you serve, everyone eats some stuffing and dips the leaves in the Mustard butter sauce before eating the ends of the leaves.
We love it, even the picky eaters!