Any good artichoke recipes?

Cut the stem off and peel it, set aside.

Cut the top leaves to remove the points and pry open the choke to leave a hole in the center. Stuff the hole with chopped onion, garlic, basil and oregano. Pack that stuff in! Place lemon slices on the top.

Set in pressure cooker on the rack with water added just to the point of touching the bottom of the choke. Add in the stems.

Drizzle some olive oil on top of the chokes.

Pressure cook until the top darn near blows off (matter of minutes) then turn down to maintain pressure for about 10-15 minutes. Turn off and let set until pressure has dissipated. When you take the lid off, you should see some of the outside petals have fallen off. The rest should gently pull out.

I like lemon juice a lot and usually pour some on the choke then begin peeling leaves away one by one. When you get the the center scrape off the seasonings along with the cactus like center. I've always called the heart of the choke "food of the gods". Fanfreakintastic.

I've never tried to grill an artichoke before and think I'll be giving that a try with my own little seasoning tweaks.

I had a great aunt that used to stuff the artichokes with a breadcrumb stuffing. I remember just about every pedal having some stuffing on it. For the life of me I can't figure out how she did it and none of my aunts remember either. Oh well, healthier without the stuffing anyway

Abbey, which parts did you give to the birds? Never heard of anyone feeding their birds artichokes. Wonder if mine would like them?

trinityroyal

Thank you Abbey for posting this question.
I love artichokes, but the only way I've ever tried them is as a pizza topping or in salads (or straight out of the jar)

Now I have some new recipes to try.

busywend

Stressed, that is how my sister does them - with the bread crumbs. Once the bread crumb mixture is behind every leaf she puts them in a pan with an inch of water and steams them.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I gave the birds any parts. They loved them...but they'll eat anything. The better the chew factor is good for them.

Love the recipies! They are in season now.

Abbey

I gave the birds any parts. They loved them...but they'll eat anything. The better the chew factor is good for them.

Love the recipies! They are in season now.

Abbey

Hmmmm. Perhaps I'll just put a fresh one on a skewer for them and let them have at it. With 6 macaws and one congo grey in the house, I think they'll be getting quartered first.

Thanks

Abbey

Spork Queen
Hmmmm. Perhaps I'll just put a fresh one on a skewer for them and let them have at it. With 6 macaws and one congo grey in the house, I think they'll be getting quartered first.

Thanks

My gosh...your house must be QUIET!!!

Gave one of my greys a roll of toilet paper today. Gone.

Abbey

My gosh...your house must be QUIET!!!

Gave one of my greys a roll of toilet paper today. Gone.

Abbey

Really the noise level isn't that bad. Don't get me wrong, they have their moments but fortunately, not enough to make the neighbors complain.

The one thing I love is that my scarlet hates rap music and will screech when the oldest plays it too loud. Saves me from yelling to turn that garbage down.

I haven't tried the TP thing yet. I'm saving that for one of those days where nothing else seems to be keeping them happy.

Have you given your greys cinnamon sticks before? Mine goes gaga over them.