Any goods aps for phone blocking random calls?

BusynMember

I get tons of calls from states where I know nobody and my own phone only blocks a certain amount of numbers. I am running out. Are they any goods aps to buy? Honestly, i get about two calls a day from California or South Dakota or Baltimore. I answered a few times at first and they are pre recorded messages telling us we won a free vacation and to get it, all we have to do is pay a certain amount of money and to just hang on.... Yeah, RIGHT!

Annoying.

I no longer answer and block them so they call from another number...I know iphones have good blocking. My son has one. But I would rather not buy a new phone for this reason. Any suggestions?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Put your phone on the 'do not call' list, and get caller ID which will display the phone numbers calling even it shows up as a private or unknown name. Call the FTC and report those numbers. With robocalls that spoof the actual number, they're may be nothing you can do beyond staying on the line and asking the live person not to call you anymore. If they say they are using a "computer dialer" and can't control what numbers are called, say: "Fine, I will be reporting you to the FTC". Amazingly, many of these jerks do find a way to quit calling you after that.

susiestar

Roll With It
If you get a live person, know that with MANY call centers, they are told that unless you are IRATE, and is absolutely livid and on fire furious, they are NOT to put your number on the do not call list no matter what you threaten to do. Most do not believe you will bother to report them. So when someone calls you, do your best impression of the angriest person you can imagine, or a Howler from the Harry Potter movies. I worked in call centers and that was the ONLY way people ever got removed from any of our lists and that was in any of the call centers that I worked in. I worked in over a dozen of them.

BusynMember

Lol, Susie. I so dont have the energy for that...lol. My hub isnt like that either. I am going to call the number GN gave me (tomorrow probably). I got a bogus call from Wisconsin with my area code today, but did not recognize the number and did not get voicemail. Time to call back and see what THIS one is about

It always comes up as "Wisconsin Call" or "Florida Call" or "Washington Call" as the name. Must,Get.Rid.Of.Them.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Actually you place your number on the DNC list by going online. Google Do Not Call List and you'll get the link. You do have to do it a couple of times per year.

I'm due to do it again. Here is the link for the list, National Do Not Call Registry You can also report callers to this list via this website, as opposed to calling the FTC

BusynMember

Thank you, GN. I certainly will. Thus time when I called back I wasvinstantly connected to elevator music. I hung up and added them to blocked list. But I rather they not call at all.

svengandhi

Once i realize a number is a scam, I add it as a new contact with a name like, Scam, don't answer, so when they call again, I just ignore it. Have to go back on the registry, too.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Actually, both my mother and I have recently been having trouble with telemarketers and robo-calls.

I logged onto the Do Not Call website to see what our registration status was.

It showed my mother's numbers as having been registered in 2010, and mine having been registered in 2008.

HOWEVER, when I went to file a complaint for my mother, I was told her primary number was NOT registered!

I re-registered her primary number. Now, unfortunately, we have to wait 31 days from date of the new registration before we can nail this twit who is calling her 4 times a day, starting at 8AM.

So, if you registered ages ago, verify your registration, and don't be surprised if, when you try to make a complaint, it still shows you as unregistered.

My suspicion is that they did a purge of registrations for which complaints had not been entered over a period of time, and that purge didn't propagate properly across databases.