Any ideas for keeping kitties out of the Christmas tree?

cubsgirl

I have two spoiled-rotten kitties and they were in the Christmas tree constantly last year. I haven't put up the tree yet because I'm trying to figure out if there is a good way to keep them from climbing up it.

Any ideas welcome!

buddy

NONE.... My cats when younger climbed to the top, knocked the ornaments off, etc. It was worse than a child.... I never had ornaments on the bottom of the tree to dangle...lol

One year they climbed and the tree fell over... omg it was so loud. My cats have all passed now. the last at age 19. It is our first Xmas without him.... he was my all time favorite pet. I have a great dog, but this cat was something else. The kind you can pick up by the tail and he would just hold on to you and be happy to be by you... (I didn't do that by the way, but he was super easy going)

Steely

OMG - this just made me laugh.
I am sorry. I just remember my cats and the Christmas tree --- good grief. It was hopeless. I am sure they were thinking -
"OH, look, Mommy bought us a TREE this year. A real LIVE tree!"

There is a spray you can buy at a pet store that is supposed to deter animals away from places. Tesla, my dog, licked it and thought it tasted great - but maybe it works better for cats??

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Strangely, mine like to sleep under it, but not climb in it.

Maybe I made enough growly noises at it, trying to decorate, that they got the idea?

TerryJ2

LOL! I was hoping to get some ideas here, but I see that everyone is in the same boat.
One of my cats loves to sleep in it and under it.
They both love to climb it, but last yr, one of them slid down and fell (it is artificial) and she doesn't like it as much any more. This yr, I put up the tree and left it for 5 days so they could get it out of their system, and I caught them a few times and scooted them out. Best to catch them in the act. I strung some lights today and will finish in the a.m.
Ornaments on Sunday.
We shall see.
Good luck!

BusynMember

My cats not only climb in the tree, they like to knock down the ornaments then play with them.

Even worse, I have one dog who gets into the fun and thinks a Christmas tree is a place to pee.

This year, because our family Christmas isn't at our house anyway, we bought a beautiful four foot tree and put it on a table. At least the dog isn't peeing anymore.

H

HaoZi

Mine eats the tree (artificial tree). He also eats the garland. The painful and colorful leavings in the catbox have not deterred him, nor have any actions by me. I have learned that shatterproof ornaments can still break, but it's not as bad and they're cheap to replace.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Bruce tried it once. I threw him. Ok, I "tossed him" but to Bruce I threw him. He left it alone after that. Seems he's not so fond of being tossed. lol

Shadow did it once. Tree fell over before I could get to them. She left it alone after that and stuck to climbing trees outside.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dear Madame..........

Does your home look like this?

(TREE TOPPLES OVER WITH CURIOUS KITTEN CRASHING TO THE GROUND LAUGHING)

or this.....

(KITTEH STUCK IN CHRISTMAS TREE STRING OF BLINKING LIGHTS MEOWING FOR HELP and lady comes to untangle him/her) laughing softly......

Do kittens constantly harass your Christmas Tree??????? - commercial shows kittens running in and out and up and down decorated CHristmas tree being trashed.....
Do your furry felines think your pine in the corner is for them? commercial shows kittens napping on branches...
Does the thought of sap covered fur make you cringe with pine-smelling worry? commercial shows kitteh shaking paws trying to rid each sticky paw of gunked up pine sap from real tree (what a mess!!!)

Well fear no more...........At Star-Co we have the solution to your Holiday Hassle!!!

Introducing THE PIT BULL ORNAMENT.........(shows lady hanging a pit head shaped ornament in the tree and turning it from off to activate) then smiling.......and nodding

Yes ladies -----simply hang your Star-co Pit Bull ornament on the tree, and it will automatically detect any feline presence and instantenously emit a barking alarm warding off your lovely kitteh.....

commercial shows wary kittens coming up to a fully overly decorated tree........but upon approach (zoom in on barking pit head ornament and fake sensor rays) the kittens merely take off in disgust.

It's uses are endless - USE IT IN THE GARDEN......IN FLOWER BEDS........BEHIND THE SILK COUCH ..........ON THE BACKS OF FURNITURE........ANYWHERE you desire Garfield NOT to be. (all showing kittehs running away but NEVER HARMED)

AND NOW?????
PIT BULL IN AN ORNAMENT AVAILABLE IN ROTTWEILER, DOBERMAN, POODLE, BEAGLE and BASSET Hound ........head shapes!!!!!!!!

***No cyber kittehs were harmed in the making of this cyber commercial.

***Patent Pending.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Star.............getting a patent on that might not be a bad idea. :rofl:

I'll take a case.......Bassets please......Bruce is not particularly fond of Betsy. lol

Marguerite

Okay, getting practical. I am on the run here...

Put the tree up, inside a playpen. If the bars on the playpen (if it's an old timber one) are too far apart and let the kitties through, then cover the bottom of the bars with plastic. Or just wrap the whole playpen in tulle or bird netting.

This also works with babies - put the ironing board or sewing machine inside the playpen, climb in and get your work done in safety and peace.

Marg

buddy

Marg, my cats just jump right over any pen.... they jumped from the floor to the top shelves in the closet. One time when young one of htem jumped on my roommates head, bounced off and went on top of the closet door (how they do that on the little thin top of a door????) I can stll see her face (NOT a cat lover) and I wet my pants laughing. Now, my OLD cat that passed more recently, he would have been stopped by a pen... so maybe if we have it wired to sound an alarm or something??? lol

Star*

call 911........call 911
Haozi - lol - thanks but they said I have to have the actual product made, ready and sellable. I have no funds, money, or backing. LOL......I mean woooffff. lol. What I really need is a car - hahahah. Just saw that. Hey if I make this ornament, I could use the money to BUY a new car...now that would be cool. Had no idea Ellen gave out vehicles. Cool, very cool. Ah well .....it was worth a bark. Thanks.

FlowerGarden

We have a new kitty this Christmas. She is a climber so we were thinking she'll probably try being the angel on top of our tree. I started asking people for suggestions on how to deter her. One person uses a water bottle to spritz their cat when it gets near the tree. Another person's cat is afraid of their vacuum. They just put their vacuum by the tree and the cat doesn't go near it!