Any ideas on what might be causing

Wiped Out

Staff member
leg cramping?

I'm not even sure that is exactly what it is. Lately my legs (especially right leg) have been getting tight and almost or actually going into charlie horses (especially in the evening). I can feel this in my toes if they stretch a certain way, in my calves, hamstrings, and even in my chins. Tonight my shin actually went into what felt like a charlie horse (hurt like the dickens). I also am starting to feel it at time like a tightness or tingling in my fingers, hands and arms (even face a bit but never actually cramps up there just gets tight and a little tingly) as well but mostly it is in my legs.

Most of the time I feel the tightness and the tingling where it feels like it is going to go into a charlie horse but I am able to stop it by stretching certain ways, however, it seems to be getting more frequent.

Just curious if anyone has any ideas on what could be causing this (it's been going on about 5 weeks) but it is starting to get more into the cramps in the legs instead of feeling like it is going (o.k. this probably isn't making much sense-sorry).

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
If memory serves, a charley horse can be helped with potassium, but this sounds system-wide and not sure if muscles or nerves. Either could signal an electrolyte imbalance or severe imbalance of vitamin/minerals/amino acids/etc. That's if it's not a medication side effect, are you on any medications? Been sick in last few months?

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm on medications but nothing new except for vitamin D at a prescription strength. I was taking vitamin D before but my levels were still low. Also I ended up stopping my calcium because when I went on the D my calcium already had it and I didn't think I should be taking both dosages of D and never replaced my calcium. Could that be it?

I haven't been sick in the past few months other than a cold I had for a few weeks.

S

Signorina

Dehydration, lack of calcium or lack of potassium. Try a glass of milk before bed

InsaneCdn

My first reaction was... calcium.

Dropping the calcium is definitely enough to do this to yourself. Either find a good non-D-added formula for calcium, or start adding more natural sources.

If the cramps get really bad, try a few slices of cheese (the REAL stuff - hard or semi-hard, like cheddar, mozza or Edam, for example). In general, milk helps. Almonds are also a good source - just a bit higher on the calories (than milk... not higher than cheese!)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Take a calcium/magnesium combination supplement. Drink plenty of water.

You should feel a difference within just a few days! Magnesium is key, but taking it with a calcium combo will help with absorption.

DammitJanet

When you take Rx doses of Vit D you have to take more calcium. I found the chew-able Caltrate ones extremely easy to take. They have one that is in a chocolate flavor that is yummy but also some off brands that are fruit flavors. I think the chew-able's actually get into your system better. I also consume more banana's when Im having cramps.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks Ladies! I will be going out this morning to get some calcium! I knew I needed it for other reasons but not the cramps! Last evening it was really bad, even my tongue felt strange and tight! Hopefully this will do the trick!

I hope it is not also a lack of potassium as I despise bananas!

Bunny

My first thought was dehydration. Are you drinking enough water during the day? I know that is a big problem for me as I do not drink enough.

Lothlorien

Get a calcium with magnesium supplement. We don't get enough magnesium in our diet and it's a natural muscle relaxant. I have a very bad magnesium deficiency, so I need to take 800mg a day, or my legs will ache and hurt really bad.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I've got the calcium and am taking it starting today! The one thing I know I don't have to worry about is dehydration-I drink about 85 ounces a day:)