Any luck with weighted vests, etc?

BestICan

This community rocks.
My difficult child had such a hard time at the grocery store tonight that I had to take him out and sit him in the car for a while. He gets so overstimulated that he careens around the aisles, karate kicking, spinning, jumping, running, talking a mile a minute. The grocery store often does this to him when he's tired - he just can't keep it together.

One thing he was doing was pretty cool - he had just had dance class at school and they taught him ways to move that were "heavy" and "light." I suggested that he use his "heavy" dance moves (basically a slow, controlled stomp-walk) through the rest of our trip, and it kind of worked.

This led me to think about the weighted vests I'd read about. I guess I'm thinking that if I'd been able to put him in one of those, he'd have had an easier time. I viewed some online tonight and he'd never wear one, but I wonder, if I could get him to wear a heavy backpack, or fill his pockets or something, might that have a calming effect?

Any experience with this kind of thing?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We use a weighted blanket for K at night. N loves tight, like the rash guard surf shirts, that squeeze. They are not neoprene, but are tight. We will put one of those under her t-shirt. I have tried the weighted back pack with K and it worked for very short bursts. It irritated after a bit. The vests made her feel claustraphobic.
Too much. If I stop every once in a while and actually squeeze her, like a big hug, and pick her up, kind of shake her. I tell her I am shaking out the sillies or I am helping her to be calm. She likes it. My nephew loves the vest, it is just a squeeze one, not weighted, the neoprene one. I think some kids don't like the pulling of the weights on them.
If you have an Occupational Therapist (OT) or can get into one, a lot of times you can "try" one for awhile without buying one first.
We love the blanket. I think it is 10% of their body weight. We bought extra sand rolls to add to it. I think 8 pounds total.

4sumrzn

I don't have one here at home. difficult child's school would let us borrow the weighted vest & this "body sock" thing on occasion. difficult child wouldn't respond as well here at home with them......she kept saying "no, goes to school". I know a couple of other children that have them & they have responded well.

terryboberry

Funny... I was just thinking about how to get a weighted blanket and/or a stretchy body suit. difficult child used a "squirrel suit" (I bet it's the same as what was called a body sock) at psychiatric hospital and wants one for home.

I've been searching on-line for Occupational Therapist (OT) sensory tools/resources and can find lots of weighted vests, blankets and belts. That's good, but what about this stretchy body suit that only your head sticks out? It really, really calms my difficult child. Any ideas?

terryboberry

Yes BestICan! That's it - Body Sox. Funny, my 13 yo difficult child called it a squirrel suit at the psychiatric hospital and at school.

I'm off to order it now. Since both he and I are home this summer, I really need resources at hand to help him calm down and avoid a full melt-down. My pride is concerned that he will choose to wear it in front of friends, and maybe outside in the cul de sac. But, I will advise him that he may be teased or judged, and he'll need to decide. I keep working on "it's not about me" ; it's about helping my difficult child do the best he can.

I'm grateful to all of you on this board :)

Let me know how that works for you!

My Tink just started Occupational Therapist (OT) a couple weeks ago. The therapist has not suggested any weighted items yet but I believe she might. We are going to try brush therapy soon~~

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
BBK~ N loves brush therapy... we use those little brushes that we brought home from when the girls were born. They have a sponge on one side and little soft bristles on the other. Our Occupational Therapist (OT) gave us a bunch. We also use a shampoo brush, one of those harder brushes for the shower and we also use a rubbery dog dematting brush. It is pliable and very soft.

Christy

You just described my latest trip to the grocery store! That is exactly what happens to my difficult child. If you try it, be sure and let us know how it works. It makes me wonder about ankle weights to slow him down and probably help with not kicking and running around???? I may try that.