Any OTC allergy medication suggestions?

DDD

I've never had allergies and I think I do now. For cold symptoms I took Bennadryl for years but if I take it at bedtime now I get restless leg syndrome. It makes me sleepy
so obviously I couldn't take it during the day anyway.

I see a bunch of ads on TV for OTC products but wondered if you guys have had good results from any particular one ... or side effects that I might want to avoid. I do not want to nod off at work, lol. Business is bad but not bad enough for me to snooze during the day. Anyone? DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Jett used generic Zyrtec for a while, since he had "asthma-like" symptoms. He also took Singulair and Claritin together. Honestly, Benadryl worked the best, but Zyrtec is our go-to for Onyxx since Benadryl allegedly gives her hallucinations.

susiestar

Roll With It
Zyrtec knocks MANY people out. I find it FAR more sedating than benadryl. Claritin doesn't do much for me and the kids/husband have to take it for at least 3 weeks before they get any benefits that are noticable. I just saw that Allegra is now OTC and it is very effective. If we could afford it, I would have us all on that (ins won't pay for allergy medications except claritin and zyrtec here).

One of my friends buys locally grown honey. She has severe allergies and eats a teaspoon of RAW, locally grown honey and it has helped her more than any medicine. The times she has moved to different areas she had problems until she found a local beekeeper who sold honey. While most honey in stores is pasteurized, this somehow makes it less effective for allergies. Raw honey should never be given to infants or kids under about 12 (according to our allergist), it is quite safe for adults except for those with very compromised imune systems. The honey works by helping your immune system get used to the local pollens, etc... that the bees eat or come into contact with.

KTMom91

I stick with Target generic Claritin. Works fine for me, and we're in the allergy/asthma capital of the world here.

klmno

I have found that different ones work differently on different people. difficult child had wonderful luck on zyrtec for his allergies but hyped him up so much he seemed manic- or he really is BiPolar (BP) and it made him manic. I have to have the type that includes a decongestant which are the ones now kept behind counters, but you can still get them without an rx. I get the rx'd equivalent of allegra-d though because it far exceeds any other type I've tried. Some people have good results with claritan but it didn't do squat for either difficult child or me.

H

HaoZi

I just use the Wal-Mart brand Loratadine for general things (it's a 24-hour non-drowsy one) and Chlor-tabs for acute problems.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dollar General $3.00 - Loratadine. Relieves allergy symptoms within 1/2 hour.
Dollar General $1.00 - Sudafed - Dries you right up and is okay for people that take HCTZ (high blood pressure medications)

My doctor has given me prescriptions for Claratin D - Allegra, and other things over the years because I get severe hayfever. The above seems to work just about as well as the spendy stuff.

Hope you feel better.

I don't know if this will make a difference with you or not - I get RLS on occasion. Seems if I don't eat at least one banana a day I have it more frequently.

LittleDudesMom

I agree that different allergy medications work for different folks. difficult child has seasonal allergies and Zyrtec works great for him - I began having seasonal allergies about six years ago and it works for me to. We both used Clarion for a couple years but it seemed to loose its effectiveness for both of us. I buy the generic Costco or BJ's brand because the Zyrtec is quite expensive. Both difficult child and I begin taking it daily in March to get a jump on the allergy season here in the south and take it daily until the beginning or mid of May (neither of us have the sedative side effect but taking it at night if that happens to you is the solution).

Sharon

DDD

Don't laugh...but I think I am alergic to Ace's hair and cigarette smoke! It doesn't happen often but all of a sudden I start sneezing and then I'm blowing my nose. The other day it last all of the work day and again I "thought" I had picked up a cold. We went out to dinner only because we had to meet some people and voila the symptoms stopped and haven't returned. All I can figure is that I now have allergies and need a pill to pop on occasion to cut the symptoms short. I know I don't need medications regularly..thank heavens! DDD

cubsgirl

Another Zyrtec user here. It doesn't sedate me at all - as you can see with all the various suggestions YMMV (your mileage may vary)! Some seem to work for some people - not so much for others. You might want to ask your doctor, especially if you have blood pressure issues.