any potato growers here?

ctmom05

I'd like to try growing potatoes. Is it possible to grow them in a container, if you use a large one; such as a cylindrical laundry basket or a trash can?

How deep do you plant them and how often do you need to mound more dirt around the plants?(I heard you need to do this as the plants grow)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ohhhhh, interesting thread. I remember starting "eyed" potatoes in cups of water around the kitchen with my grandma as a preschooler. I used to think it was so much fun. lol

Unfortunately I was too young for her to let me help with them in the garden....

I'd like to try planting some too, so I'm going to watch this post. :D

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Used to grow many different varieties (Maine is potato land), bakers, news, fingerlings, etc...
Log on to www.gardeners.com, much info. Johnny's selected seeds has nice choice. From my experience, it's not possible to reap as many potatoes from one square foot as gardeners.com claims

Happy gardening, Colorado potato beetles were a problem for us, I used to pay the difficult children for each bug/larva caught (Japanese beetles too.). To be honest, my ethnic background is "all things potato", Polish, French, Irish. There are few things as delicious as a tater right out of the ground. I got the boys to help by telling them we were pirates digging for gold. It was fun while it lasted.

Keep on asking questions. Veggie gardening is a passion. Have you heard about the White House organic garden? I raised my boys organic and now they only eat carp. Go figure...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We've grown them from "old" potatoes that had gone soft -- just cut them up and buried them in the garden a few inches deep... I think maybe 4-6? I could be wrong. But we had no trouble with them. 3S is right about them being delicious!

I often "recycle" some veggies that have gone off a bit in the fridge... green onions (providing there's still some roots hanging on), yellow/white/red onions, scallions, garlic, radishes... I figure it's better to give it a second chance in the ground than to just toss it on the compost heap.