Any specific snacks that block hunger pains

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm just wondering -

I saw someone post they ate an apple and it subsided hunger for 4 hours - So I got some apples

I fought the hunger pains - then ate an apple

20 minutes later I'm hungry again

I think I'm going to eat a kitchen sponge

and drink lots of water.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Lots of Water

10-14 Almonds

1 Hard Boiled Egg

1 Cup of sf/ff hot cocoa

1 Apple

1 Cup Air popped popcorn plain

1/4 Cup of ricotta cheese with some grated lemon rind and splenda is a nice snack.

1 Slice of flaxseed/whole grain bread toasted with 1tsp of peanut butter.

Sliced peppers and scallion rolled up inside a romaine lettuce leaf with 1 tsp ff ceasar dressing - if you want to make it a meal, add one slice of LS turkey breast. Very good.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
OK I am with Star on that one though. That list boggles the mind. I mean I realize change needs to happen but do we have to change so much at once.

Beth

LittleDudesMom

Star,

I was having a cup of afternoon tea (helps when I think I'm hungry) and I literally choked when I read

"BUT JUST ONE OF EACH???? OR ALL like a menu?"

and I just cleaned the screen of my laptop yesterday!

Wiped Out

Staff member
The Fiber One bars are great at fighting hunger-they come in chocolate, peanut butter, and soon caramel!! But... be sure to eat only one!

The other snack that has been fighting hunger for me is called simply cashews, almonds, and dried cranberries. The packages I've been buying come in small snack size-cause otherwise I would overeat on these!

Have you tried hot tea with sugar, Star?

Or mini-wheats? Those crispy, bite-size little cereals covered with powdered sugar?

A tablespoon (or more) of peanut butter ~ no bread.

Popcorn sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

Someone went on down the line for me once, listing the calories in raw veggies versus the calories required to chew them.

Her conclusion?

All of us may eat massive quantities of raw parsley with impunity.

Barbara

:smile:

Fran

Former desparate mom
baby bel cheeses. They are little individual size cheeze with 5 to 7 low fat crackers are a good snack and easy to take with you in your purse.

BusynMember

Protein is the best and lasts the longest for my hunger pangs. The more protein I eat with my meals, the less I eat, period. I try to stick to lower fat/calorie meat such as chicken/turkey and have fish a lot too (not breaded). Then I toss some veggies in there too and wash it down with water or decaf coffee (no sugar). In between the protein I grab an apple or banana :smile: I hope you find what works for you :wink:

trinityroyal

There are some good suggestions here.
The problem with fruit and veg is that your body uses them up quickly. The problem with protein is that your body can't put it to use quickly enough...so a combination of both seems to work best.

For example:
An apple with one BabyBel cheese
A glass of orange juice with a handful of almonds or cashews.
Celery with peanut butter
Salad with chicken or shrimp
Carrots dipped in sour-cream-onion-and-garlic dip.
Yogurt with fruit in it

Dairy is an excellent source of protein (and all of those wonderful vitamins and calcium that we women need to stave off osteoporosis, etc.), and it's easy to carry around.

Along the lines of yogurt with fruit in it, (one of my favorites), if you really need something a bit more over the top, try Edy's Yogurt Blends, (ONE HALF CUP ONLY) Vanilla, with a serving of partially thawed frozen cherries in it - It's absolutely delicious!!! Mix the partially thawed cherries into the yogurt and eat it S L O W L Y!!!

I know this isn't as healthy as the snacks the others listed, BUT, there are times, at least for me, when I have to have something really sweet. However, I consider the fruit as part of my healthy eating plan. Half a cup of Edy's Vanilla Yogurt Blends has 100 calories.

Star, I'm really proud of you - You CAN do it!!! And, thanks for the :rofl: !!! WFEN

Well, I still say it is the fat in what we eat that satiates our appetites, and the sugar that turns our appetites aggressive.

I don't eat anything fat-free if I can help it.

Barbara

Star*

call 911........call 911
Um..... :bag: Sorry about your spitting on the scree episode. Terribly sorry. (sends screen cleaner and soft cloth)

Okay -

I have tried the apple and almonds
I got some rice cakes with caramel flavoring
I am drinking enough water to RIVAL a camel (lots and lots)
I am eating LEAN CUISINE for lunch

I've am going to get the Baby Bel cheese -I got the crackers and forgot the cheese. (I think starvation is messing with my memory)

And I am taking orange juice as a mid morning something or other

It's been one week! I'm committed - errrr maybe I should be committed. I still say a stay at the STATE Bed and Breakfast with prepared meals and craft class, therapy, friends crazier than you and laundry & cleaning service sounds attractive.

SRL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scent of Cedar II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you tried hot tea with sugar, Star?

Or mini-wheats? Those crispy, bite-size little cereals covered with powdered sugar?

A tablespoon (or more) of peanut butter ~ no bread.

Popcorn sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

</div></div>

I was going to mention hot tea as well. I've found some teas more satisfying than others--lately it's been Bigelow Plantation mint with a little sugar.

Peanut butter on a few crackers is tops on my list too. I've had a lifelong affair with pb though so my trouble is keeping myself from overdoing it.

Pretzels or crackers with- salsa or with a fancy mustard

SRL

One more idea--you can file under lunch or a snack.

I had leftover cocktail size bread from New Years as well as some carmelized onions. 2 slices of the small bread, spread with- a little Smart Balance, some low fat cheese (I used mozerella) and then onions, tomatoes, whatever make a nice little grilled cheese.

I'm sure it's psychological but having the bread as whole small slices does a lot more for me than a regular sized piece of bread cut in quarters does!

STILLjustamom

You could try adding a teaspoon of peanut butter when eating those apples. Other ideas are a piece of low fat string cheese and as mentioned the Fiber One bars.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I know they are cookies - BUT

Teddy Grahms makes packages of 100 calorie (just smaller portions)

and they are very good.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I just bought some Roma tomatos and cottage cheese. I also bought some cucumbers. I figure if I do that instead of some other not so good stuff that might be better.

Beth