Any Thoughts about RESPITE

sweepymom

8 and 6 are eligible for respite care for MH and MR and I have been pondering over the subject. I like the idea for maybe a couple hours a week and my husband doesn't like the idea but he is always at work and i rarely get any help from him. So I was wondering if any one has had any experience with respite care.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
kt is at respite even as we speak.

I love respite - we get it here on average once a month for kt. We're eligible for every other weekend but haven't gotten the second weekend set up yet.

Having said that, we use providers that offer a group home respite setting. Both providers own their own respite home & schedule weekends (Friday evening through late Sunday afternoon) by gender & age.

It took a while to find the right provider but it's been worth the wait.

by the way, kt enjoys respite probably more than we do.

F

flutterbee

I've never had the opportunity to use respite in the formal sense, but I have been known to call my mom and tell her that I need her to take difficult child for a night. We need time for ourselves and away from the everyday routine...parents and kids alike.

As you are dealing with your own mental health, I would strongly advise you to consider this opportunity. If husband won't get on board, then tell him you will just leave the kids with him for a few hours each week while you take care of yourself. See if that changes his mind at all. :wink:

Got2Sleep

We would love to have it, but not available in my area. My mom does keep B every Monday from afterschool until Tuesday morning for us. That helps my older kids have some time for just them.

Wiped Out

Staff member
We have a respite center here and use it but only can get him in about once a month-for about four hours at a time. Once in awhile he even gets an overnight! difficult child loves it and so do we-it gives us a chance to recharge.

sweepymom

8 would go to the foster care agency that my aunt works for so she will make sure he is well taken care of (every other weekend or one a month) and 6 will go to any person of my choice (another aunt.)