Any Update, Star?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Message #3 - left - no reply -

You have to have an appointment to get IN for OPEN door.....ROFLMAO. (good idea witz)

I want YOUR thoughts, ideas and suggestions) I'm taking this very seriously and would love to have a letter composed by Monday -

I need help - CALLING ALL!! IF YOU CAN suggest anything? I have an idea of what I want to say for Dude - He got ripped off on his education, He got shuffled through the system and warehoused, he got 2 weeks to find a home.....etc.

What about the rest of us? CAN WE SURPASS THE APPALACIAN TRAIL AND GO TO CNN?

SERIOUSLY?

slsh

member since 1999
Starbie - I'm sneaking in during work and will think on this further but off the top of my head... money talks.

For example, the State of IL spent (roughly) $1.5 million on thank you since 2000 for all of his Residential Treatment Center (RTC) placements. This does not include the cost of the approx 30 (I lost count) hospitalizations that our private insurance paid for, 14 years of therapy/medications/psychiatrist paid for insurance, plus the roughly $350,000 (conservative estimate) out-of-pocket we shelled out since 1997. For what? To have services terminated when he hit 18, simply *because* he hit 18. No HS grad, no meaningful education since he hit sped in 1998, no followup/followthrough, no adult services, no safety net.

I'm not blaming the state - not sure anything would have made a difference in thank you's case. *But* if they are going to invest the huge amounts of money that they have in our boys (and you know the numbers are probably similar for Dude), should they not be a bit more interested in getting some kind of bang for their buck? A return on their investment? Simply dropping the kids from any and all services virtually *guarantees* that the state will, in thank you's case at least, end up continuing to fund his existence, via food stamps, welfare, Medicaid, uninsured hospitalizations, and I wouldn't be surprised by a couple of incarcerations somewhere along the road.

I'm extremely cynical at this point - I don't think they give a darn about the emotional cost of what they're doing, of the waste of Dude's and thank you's potential, of a mother's broken heart. But if you can put it in terms of what they do care about ($$), you might get someone's attention.

Just MHO.

DDD

You are bright, caring and articulate. Unfortunately, although I am those things...I'm also cynical. If NAMI with it's cumulative clout, knowledge and staffing can't get the politicians to step up to the plate, I'm beyond optimistic. I was appointed by two Florida Governors to a committee "with clout". Everyone on the committee was bca and most were far better educated and more experienced that I. We had access to confidential files at facilities and at social services offices. Even with all that "the system" "put out fires" that we lit but didn't alter the deficits.

I'm on your team but truthfully I think, at best, that you "might" be able to achieve some goals for Dude via media exposure or your Congressmen
in the District or perhaps the Supervisor of Services. The Governor is not going to make waves and alienate State employees, in my humble opinion. Chances are the Governor will see and hear you as #22 on the afternoon agenda.

I'd love to be proven wrong. Hugs. DDD

DammitJanet

Sue...if we added up the amount of money that has been poured into thank you, Dude and Cory...omg...we could all live in luxury!

Personally I think it would have been a whole lot better if they had just paid us to stay home with them what they paid someone else to care for them! We could have probably done a better job.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Personally I think it would have been a whole lot better if they had just paid us to stay home with them what they paid someone else to care for them! We could have probably done a better job.

Maybe....but by now we would all be posting as roommates in Crazy Acres for the Insane. :)

Suz

Kathy813

Staff member
Janet, are you saying all three together? :nonono: There is not enough money in the world to make me agree to that.

~Kathy