Anybody have a good cleaning item for hardwood floors??

busywend

We are moving into our new house this weekend. We have 2 large rooms with hardwood floors. Neither of us have ever had hardwood floors. So, I am looking for the best cleaning product - be it a vacuum, broom, sweeper, etc. And what to clean it with.

Sweep & Clean. That is what I need to do after the painters left a loving coating of dust on every floor...sigh....

Thanks in advance!

InsaneCdn

Hands down - vacuum. Anything else has the capability of moving scratchy stuff around - and therefore leaving scratches. Vacuum picks it up.

Cleaning hardwood... hopefully, you don't have to do much. I use a damp cloth in one hand and a dry towel in the other - cannot let water sit on wood at all, it gets between the cracks and causes swelling, but sometimes you do have to spot-clean!

DDD

I think if you put "hardwood floors caring for" in your search engine you'll get more info than you probably need, lol. I haven't had them in ten years or more so I won't share my "methods" as they may be outdated. Good luck. DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh yeah - with Murphy's - use a mop with the clothlike tentacles instead of a sponge mop or yarn.

busywend

I was thinking vacuum, but mine is so heavy - I feel like it could scratch the floors. maybe I will get a new electric broom.

InsaneCdn

We have central - so no lugging except the hose. Mom used an electric broom on tile - same concept. It just has to be something that "inhales" the dirt rather than pushing it around.

(was going to use another word for "inhales", but... might get caught by the word police)

Steely

Actually, better than a vacuum is a wide "dry mop". You know the kind I am talking about?
You just use the dry mop and sweep up all the dirt with that, and sweep it into a dustpan. It not only cleans, but buffs the floors a little. I think you can get them at places like Bed Bath and Beyond.

Murphys Soap is good too, but only for a once or year cleaning - otherwise after time it starts to take the finish off the floors.

DammitJanet

Well I have heard that those Shark steam mops are excellent for using on different flooring types, wood/laminate, vinyl, and ceramic tile. You just select the different level of steam for each flooring type. Only uses water.

InsaneCdn

I'd be wary of a steam mop on true hardwood.

"Sealed" laminate - maybe, that's a stretch but maybe. Tile, vinyl - absolutely - probably somewhat on carpet, too.

busywend

There is a special cloth for my steam mop that is supposed to be for hardwood, but I was leary of using hot water on it. Both floors have just been refinished so a fresh gloss is not as hard as it will be in a few months anyway.

Yes, I thought about a swiffer sweeper for sweeping up the mess, but it seems like it will just push it around. I know there is supposedly some sort of 'attraction' for the dust to stick to the pad, but really it can only attract so much before it covers the cloth. In my opinion anyway.

So, it is off to Bed Bath & Beyond after work today. Just wish I had a specific thing recommended. I would like to vacuum it, but my only soft attachment is only about 3 inches wide and it would take long time to do these 2 rooms with that little attachment. Talk about a back ache!

Hopefully, I will find something that will make life easier for me in the new house! Lots more to clean than my tiny little house I am moving from. I know, silly, right? As we get older we are supposed to scale back and get a smaller place. But, husband & I have both only had small places and we would like to be the place to gather for the families on the holidays. I will likely regret those words, too! Haha!

InsaneCdn

Lots more to clean than my tiny little house I am moving from. I know, silly, right?

Nope. Only silly if you pack it jam-jar squeeze-it-in full.

A larger space, with the same amount of stuff = much easier job cleaning. You don't have to MOVE stuff nearly so often.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My whole house is wood floors. I just vacuum (I have a very light weight canister - so I can use it with my back) and mine doesn't scratch the floors. Once a month I do a damp mop, NOT WET. And every few months I do a nice cleaning with the Murphys Oil Soap, diluted, also not very wet. Make sure your mop can squeeze out fairly dry before putting on the floor. There is one with a mophead that looks like an octopus/tentacles - it's yellow, replaceable and will get fairly dry. Perfect for using on wood floors.

I have a steam mop and was SOoooooOOOooo excited about using (because no cleaners needed) but it is HORRIBLE on the wood floors. It leaves streaks, no shine, and takes off the finish. And on the two rooms that need to be refinished, it made the wood swell. Wahhhh. I only use it on my kitchen floors.

Steely

Busy - are these real hard wood floors - or pergo or laminate? I had solid wood floors for 10 years in Dallas, and the last thing you want to do is get any water near them on a consistent basis. I used a big dry mop daily, and then I had a Rainbow vacuum for once a week. The Rainbows are amazing! But expensive. I think if you had a tile floor vacuum with attachments and a dry mop, you would be fine.

Have fun moving in!!! Congrats.

DammitJanet

Are you telling me that laminate cant get wet or washed? Heavens...glad I learned that before I laid the stuff down in my house! Guess I will stick with cheap vinyl squares. I have to be able wash the floor.

InsaneCdn

Janet -

Solid hardwood flooring... must NEVER get "wet".

Laminate... depends on the quantity of water (I wouldn't make it sopping wet, and would probably dry after wash), AND on the type of install - some are click-to-lay, and some are glue-joint. Click is easier... but glue-joint makes the floor much more water-resistant. I know a flooring store that uses laminate on its showroom floor - and cleans with a WET MOP - like, traditional hospital-style bucket-and-mop wet - with NO issues... but they did glue-joint on purpose, so that they could use that much water.

nvts

I use "Method" hardwood floor cleaner once a month on my hardwood floor - I absolutely love it! I have a mop that's microfiber on one side and those short stringy things on the other (I got both the mop and the cleaner at Target) - I've been doing it for over a year now, and my floor looks as beautiful as when we put it in 5+ years ago.

Beth

Fran

Former desparate mom
Steaming hard wood can make it cloudy I'd be very cautious. I vacuum on the bare floor setting, then wash with murphys or even a little vinegar(to make sure the house doesn't smell like dog)
You can wax or polish it once every 6 months to give it a shine and protect it. I put little felt stickies under the feet of the chair to protect the floors.
Congratulations on your new home.

H

HaoZi

Murphy's, soft push brooms, and area rugs are good, too (unless you have allergies).

LittleDudesMom

It's not true that hardwood floors can never get wet.

I've lived in old homes since 1985 and they've all had some hardwood floors with different levels of finish.

I find, and I think Steely was referring to this, that one of those old fashioned large dust mops does best! They are soft, scoot nicely around the legs of your furniture, and you don't have to keep replacing pads on them.

Then, every few weeks or so (depending on the foot traffic level), fill a bucket with warm water and a few ounces of white vinegar. Ring out the mop really, really well and then mop your hardwood floors. I've been doing this for years and years and years. Keeps the floors looking great! Once a year I use a hardwood cleaner/polisher - usually in the fall.

Sharon